“AMMMAAAZIIINNNNGGGGGGGGGG”

Quetzaltrekkers - Day Tours
Ranked #1 of 26 Outdoor Activities in Leon
More attraction details
Owner description: Quetzaltrekkers is a non-profit volunteer organization, offering tourists adventurous hikes to raise money for organizations helping streetkids and children at risk in Leon, Nicaragua and Quetzaltenango (Xela), Guatemala.
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Just got back from the two day Telica hike, and WOW.....what an amazing trip. I have done a lot of backpacking but this trip was absolutely perfect. Such an amazing group, such amazing sights, and tomato sauce! The guides were phenomenal, they were so much fun and everyone was talking about how lucky we were to have them lead us... I am so so so glad I didnt pass up this trekk, it has been my favorite thing about my journey through central america so far!

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Not usually a fan of guided tours but we wanted to volcano board, and I am very glad we chose to tour with them. The staff was great from booking to tour to hiking the volcano. We were provided with all the supplies and ample food and water. Our guide, Jenny, was very knowledgeable of volcanos and extremely helpful.

On top of a great experience you get a t-shirt and the knowledge that the profits go to help kids in Leon.

If I go back to Leon, I will definitely sign up for more hikes with them!

Reviewed June 5, 2012

This was simply an awe inspiring experience. Sure its hot and sweaty but if you sign up thinking otherwise maybe you need a reality check. Guides are so helpful and full of information. Would definitely do it again.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

I did the two-day Telica hike. The trip was very organized and we were well taken care of. Equipment, food (breakfast prior to departure, meals and snacks during the hike, and a meal at a comedor upon return), water, transportation, a t-shirt were all included in the price (55 USD). The tents are in good shape, but the backpacks, sleeping mats and sleeping bags are probably donated gear that have gone through many many uses by who knows how many people. It's best to bring your own sleeping mat and bag just for comfort. It may cost a bit less to hike with other organizations in Léon but I think Quetzaltrekkers is absolutely worth it. The guides are all volunteers serving a good cause--I think they really deserve some good tips at the end.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

We did the moonlight Telica hike, and it is definetly worth the sleep deprivation! Awesome staff. They gave good information and made sure we rested and drank plenty of water. I felt safe doing a hike with them. And the profits goes to helping street kids, so there really is no reason to book volcano tours with someone else...

The only reason I didn't rate this excellent was the food. As a vegan, I am naturally exited when organizations and restaurants advertise that they are vegan friendly. Now, they did feed me, but only tomatoe and cucumber slices for my baguette...? It shouldn't be that hard to get a hold of some ripe avocado in Nicaragua, come on!