“Missing A Few Small Conveniences...”
Review of Chilli Inn

Chilli Inn
Ranked #41 of 63 Specialty Lodging in Leon
Tampa, Florida
“Missing A Few Small Conveniences...”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Tried to stay at Chilli Inn, but they were full and recommended that I stay around the corner at a property they also managed. After I took a "QUICK" look at the property, I decided to spend a little bit extra for the private room. Once I started to get settled, it didn't take long to realize that there were a few items which could have made an average stay... really great.

For starters, the brand new twin mattress was rock solid hard. The lack of a fan made my first night practically unbearable in the almost 85 degree heat, and the internet that I was promised was out for the majority of my stay.

A hook or two on the wall and or a desk/table would have been nice as the only place to put anything would be the floor, or the bed if your not sleeping in it.

A small mirror might be a bit much to ask... but considering that there isn't a mirror in the shared bath either... A mirror somewhere is a must.

Lastly, a shower head / shower curtain in the shared bath would be nice. I realize all that is needed for a shower is running water, but combine that with no shower curtain and you've got wet mess since the water splashes everywhere in this small space.

My saving grace was the that the entire staff at both properties were incredibly helpful and sweet. I too, got two free drinks for every night's stay, and was able to use the internet at Chilli Inn.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank DJDJ5

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stayed at The Chilli Inn for two nights in June 2012.
We were told about the hostel as we got off the bus in Leon, as it is not yet in Lonely Planet. We decided to give it a go as the price was great ($5 per night) and they were offering two free drink per night that you stay! The hostel itself is really nice, with a cool theme. They have a nice pool area out the back with hammocks and tables.
The negatives of the place is that I found they were a bit slack in refilling toilet paper, and got caught out a couple of times without it! They also lock the main doors quite early, and if you need to get in you have to ring a doorbell, which you can hear from the dorms. One of the nights it seemed the doors werent manned by staff or a guard so the travelers rang the doorbell for over 45mins!
Another thing is that they open the main area quite late in the morning, so that even at 9am it doesn't feel like you can order breakfast as all the chairs are still up on the tables etc.
Apart from those things, which I'm sure will get ironed out as they go, this hostel is great and I think it will become a go to hostel in the future!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank SinceIveBeenAround
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed May 21, 2012

its just awsome!
its clean, the stuff is helpfull and very friendly!the bed are very confortabel!and u got enough fan every where, so u can use ur owen fan to sleep(thats important)
and what u pay(like nothing) and what u get, its i think the best deal in centralamerica!
this hostel is a must if ur in leon!!!

1 Thank kaeslinja
Leon, Nicaragua
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Chilli Inn became my home away from home for almost a month. Each moment of my stay there was great, and it's the staff and the owners that make it so. I arrived at 3am from Managua. I was lost. I was at the wrong hostel. I spoke no Spanish. My cab driver knew next to nothing about Leon. Frazzled and a little worried, I spotted a sign that proclaimed, "Hostel!" from the road. I immediately had the cab driver stop and ran to the door. Keep in mind that this is after 3 am on a Thursday night. I knocked, and to my absolute amazement, the door opened. That's when I first met Marco.

He showed me around at 3am, got me a bed, and said we would deal with all the paperwork in the morning and I should get some sleep. The next morning I was up at 9, and there he was behind the bar. We sorted out all the paperwork, and he poured me the first of my two complimentary drinks (you get two per day for the duration of your stay.)

I guess he noticed my slightly bewildered and confused face as I sat at the bar drinking my Nica Libre because he quickly asked what I was doing that day. I replied nothing yet, and he asked if I wanted to ride with them to the beach. Within half an hour Marco, Engels (the other owner), Alberto (Tierra Tours), and I are at the beach watching the waves crash into the surf. Who does that? Who takes the time to take a lost and lonely guest out to the beach for a day? The people at Chilli Inn do. They really care about their guests.

Like I said, I stayed at Chilli Inn for almost a month while waiting on more permanent accommodations to become available. I know this place backwards and forwards. The staff are wonderful. The bartenders can mix a fine drink. The kitchen makes some great burritos and tacos.The cleaning lady never stops sweeping or mopping. She has a powerful hatred for dust and grime. The owners are always there to answer any question you might have and provide you direction--even if that direction may be to another restaurant or bar. For the people at Chilli, it seems that ensuring that travelers fall in love with Leon is their number one priority.

The dorms are clean and the sheets and mattresses new. Getting to the top bunk can be a little scary in the middle of the night. Those things are high off the ground. The dorm rooms do not have air conditioning, but they are well-ventilated. You can always ask for a personal fan, and they will immediately grab one for you.

I can't say enough about the people who run this Hostel. They are a big reason that I inevitably decided to make Leon my home. If you stay at Chilli, you will likely see me walking around. Make sure to try the best barbecue in Nicaragua. You won't be disappointed.

1 Thank Jonathan_W168
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Absolutely the best one to stay. I've been in another hostel first but changed for this place right when I saw it. Great vibe, great staff, colorful decoration, clean rooms, new matresses. Stayed there for 2-3 nights only, but thats enough to recommend it.
You can meet people there, play pools, have some cocktails (great promotion, hope they will keep it for longer). The swimming pool is a bit small and not so clean all the time, you cant use the kitchen to cook for yourself, but all the rest is great.

I didnt have a problem to sleep there, but if there is a party going on in the main hall, there might be some noice.

The bar service is great as well, waitresses were friendly, bartender was professional and the manager extremely welcoming.

Room Tip: The dorm which is closer to the pool table can be a bit noicy, keep it in mind if you want to go sle...
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Chili Inn is a great place to stay in Leon. I stayed at the hostel for ten nights and enjoyed every single day. It offers a perfect mix of chilled pool time, billard playing, and amazing barbeque get-togethers. The hostel is not too big and has therefore a very cosy and homely feel to it. The owners are extremely involved and always helpful, the mattresses brand new, and the Mexican food delicious. I will definitely miss our casual drinking times by the pool before heading out into town. I highly recommend staying there while in Leon!

Room Tip: I personally prefer the top bunks, but the mattresses are all brand new. Just make sure you get your...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We first stayed in a hostel that was nice but a little boring. By chance we met a local who recommended we change to Chili Inn. I went over to check it out and was given a full tour by the owner. The place looked awesome and I immediately booked us in for the following night.

We were only supposed to be in León a couple of nights but we met some amazing people at chili inn and we just loved it there. Marcus and Angel, the owners were fantastic. They are always open to any ideas and improvements you might have, and we're so friendly and involved with all the guests. The food is sensational and the buffet lunch is possibly the best value in town. You recieve two free drinks every night you stay which is also a massive bonus.

Our beautiful little friend Anna, one of the waitresses was so friendly and always smiling. Nothing was ever a problem and she loved practicing her English with us.

The pool is a huge bonus because the days are often hot in León. The rooms had very comfortable mattresses and pillows plus there were plenty of fans to help keep the rooms cool. The dorm room I stayed in had a large bathroom inside which was great. No need to walk outside in a towel to the showers.

Highly reccommend this hostel. Thanks again guys for helping make our stay in León so memorable.

Room Tip: The dorm room next to the pool table has a full bathroom inside. No need to walk to the shower!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends