“Make friends with the bar staff...”
Review of Barbaro - CLOSED

Barbaro
Cuisines: Central American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Phone 505 2315 2901
Reviewed January 9, 2014

From an initial lunchtime visit I returned again later in the evening for a meal (okay and some more food)...

On the second visit I made a point of spending some time on a barstool conversing with the bar staff (okay, trying to converse with my minimul spanish and their far better english!-) which really made for much better service later in the evening as the bar got much busier...

If (when) I ever return to Leon I will definitely spend another evening or two in this bar/restaurant.

Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

Located on a street with about 5 or 6 clubs in Central León (which all crank on Thursday nights at least) and easy to find.

It's a big place with room for all and is well set out. We weren't mobbed by staff wanting to sit us and shove drinks and food down our necks, but service was at hand with the half raise of a hand.

The nachos were an interesting interpretation with round chips and very yellow American cheese. They'd run out of guacamole but they were still good. Those that subscribe to the theory that food should also look good may have been disappointed though. The burrito, arroz con pollo and chicken a la plancha were good. The arroz in particular was gigantic. A little disappointing that the burrito flew solo with no rice or salad.

Price is average and if I'm being really mean perhaps a shade too high.

Recommend this place for a few relaxed beers and a good feed before a night of salsa at the surrounding party houses.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We enjoyed pizza here for dinner one night. The crust was a perfect hand-tossed crust, nice and chewy interior with a crackle to the exterior. The tomato sauce was very good too - not too sweet. Ordinarily we eat the local cuisine, but wanted a change of pace (and pizza is the international cuisine!). With a couple of Victorias during the world series, our dinner felt like an authentic experience. Note on the atmosphere - it's fabulous. If a US restaurant could copy the look and feel of the place exactly, it would be a gold mine. From the large open, shuttered windows to the huge hearth and wood bar, this place has a great ambiance. Mostly locals the night we were there.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I liked the place, the atmosphere and the steak that I order was excellent, I'm looking forward in eating there again. The only thing that I didn't like was that I spent more then $50 (it was four of us) and they didn't want to accept a $100 bill, which bother a bit.

Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

I dropped by Barbaro today because I didn't realize Cocinarte (my original destination) was closed Tuesdays. Lonely Planet said it offered an expansive menu and I was craving some variety.

The restaurant is located on a corner close to the main square. It has at least 25 tables, therefore a wait likely rarely occurs. The menu has many options, including appetizers, chicken wings, beef, chicken, and fish options, salads, and vegetarian options including falafel, vege kabobs, hummus, etc. There was also a variety of local dishes.

I ordered the chicken salad with bread (c150) and a coke (c25). The chicken salad came relatively promptly at was very large - exactly what I wanted. It was a base of lettuce with tomatoes, orange peppers, onions, watermelon, pineapple, and sweet chili-sauced chicken. It came with a side of a honey mustard dressing and 4 slices of baguette. Delicious!

Service was prompt and attentive (although there were few other customers).

Overall I would definitely go back to try out a multitude of other items on the menu!