“Meson Really, Really Good” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Meson Real - CLOSED

Meson Real
Description: Abrimos nuestras puertas el 8 de Octubre del 2011 y somos el primer restaurante de alta cocina espanola en Leon. Nuestro mejor medio publicitario es un cliente satisfecho. En Meson Real la calidad y el servicio siempre van primero. Todos nuestros ingredientes son frescos y seleccionados cuidadosamente por nuestro Chef. Somos un restaurante de cocina y menu abiertos, lo cual nos permite ofrecer los mejores y mas frescos productos, que encontremos a diario y para nuestros comensales. Y, si asi lo desean, pueden ver a nuestro Chef Gustavo preparar sus alimentos. Nosotros nunca sacrificaremos nuestra calidad por nada del mundo! Cocinamos y servimos para ver las caras felices de nuestros clientes!!!
New Haven, Connecticut
“Meson Really, Really Good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

Meson Real is my favorite restaurant in Central America. The food is fresh and expertly prepared and the staff is attentive.

I was looking forward to the paella, but it was sold out before we arrived for dinner. I was disappointed until the food that I ordered instead arrived at the table. It was beyond my expectations. For a leisurely dinner with friends, tapas and sangria is definitely the way to go. The grilled octopus was tender and delicious. The chef’s special shrimp was a melody of wonderful flavors. I was traveling with a vegetarian who asked the chef to create a vegetable plate for her. He pulled together a beautiful platter of grilled vegetables. Be sure to save room for the coconut flan. It is to die for.

I will be back in Leon in January and look forward to trying the paella.

Just so you know, the photos on Tripadvisor do not do the food or the space justice. They do not come close to capturing the real Meson Real experience.

Visited August 2012
MesonReal, Owner at Meson Real, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear QUTravelHunt,

Thank you for all your complements!!! We really appreciate your review!!!

The Paella is selleing out very quickly, please send me a message a couple of days before you are coming, so we make sure we make paella that day.

We are uploading pictures constantly to share we all our friends/clients.

Please come back and see us,

MERRY CHRISTMAS,

Leon
“Best restaurant in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

Delicious and the staff is very friendly. A great experience. I have gone back there a few times and every time I get the same welcome. I have never had a bad meal there and the specials are truly magnificent.

• Visited November 2012
MesonReal, Owner at Meson Real, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear PowerPlant,

We are very happy you enjoy our food and service!!!

We are always trying to our best, get the best produce and train our staff to serve you as you deserve.

Please come back soon!!!

Merry Christmas!!!

Mexico City, Mexico
“Delicious and worth every penny!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

Meson Real was so delicious that I feel compelled to break my silence on TripAdvisor and finally contribute a review.

Having been born and partially raised in Spain, I'm always a bit skeptical of Spanish restaurants outside of the country. But after 2 months on the gringo trail and daily onslaughts of rice and beans, plantains, and the measly (and usually fried) meat portions so typical of Central America, I decided to give this Spanish-fusion place a shot. Boy, am I glad that I did.

The pulpo al ajillo appetizer (garlic octopus) ranks with any I've had in Spain's best tapas bars. The only thing that would have improved it is more garlic infused olive oil to soak my bread in, but I've seen the outrageous prices demanded for olive oil in the supermarket's here, so I'll let that slide.

The churrasco with chimichurri (grilled steak) was a perfect, juicy, and generous portion of medium-rare steak from quality, grass-fed beef. Actual vegetables were an option with my entree, something you're no doubt craving desperately if you're reading this after having spent more than a few days in Central America. That alone is reason to come here!

And the flan de almendra (almond flavored custard), well, it was better than my abuelita's, god bless her soul.

Yes, this restaurant is pricier than the local "comedor" and street food you find all throughout León. But that's really comparing apples and oranges.

The quality of ingredients, and the care with which each of my dishes at Meson Real were prepared, has been unmatched in these parts of Nicaragua. That's saying nothing of the customer service, which was also top notch. I've been in the country for more than 3 weeks now and this is the first time a waitress has actually smiled and asked if I enjoyed my food.

If you're tiring of the local food in León that largely caters to the plethora of budget-strapped backpackers and the town's abundance of university students, splurge and escape to Meson Real for an authentic Spanish/Latin treat...I promise, you won't regret it.

• Visited December 2012
MesonReal, Owner at Meson Real, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Xavier415,

You really impressed me with your review!!! We must have brought some memories back to your taste buds!!! We hope, we impress you with our food, as much you did with your review.

We highly appreciate all the detail descriptions on your review, the Octopus, Churrasco and Almond Flan. About the olive oil, no problem, if you like more olive oil we'll give you more olive oil, just for the record.

You have given us one of the best reviews ever and we really appreciate your time and effort.

We hope to see you back at Meson Real soon!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

Gustavo and Family
“Best Spanish Restaurant in Leon and I dare to say in Nicaragua”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Love the place, cozy and charming spot in a colonial house. A family operation headed by Chef Gustavo Tefel & his wife, makes you feel right a home with incredible fresh authentic tapas and unique fusion dishes.
The criadillas de toro are one of the best I've ever had anywhere, tender and spicy just the right portion and spice.
The Almejas al ajillo where outstanding, fresh and a broth that makes you want to drink it or just dip your bread on the clay pot. I was sorry to finish it and wanted more.
The Cayos a la Madrileña where done just right, I felt transported to one of my favorite tapas place in Madrid.
The Gambas al Ajillo where fabulous as fresh as you can get head-on large pacific shrimp done a la plancha with slivers of fresh aromatic garlic, olive oil and a splash of white wine where perfect.
I will go back to eat dinner since I couldn't eat more! The tapas are good size so we had no more room for entrees.
I highly recommend this place & when I go back I will continue with my review. The prices are reasonable and the food quality superb.

1 Thank ClaudioLoVo
MesonReal, Owner at Meson Real, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear ClaudioLovo,

Just as good as you describe our food is your review, may be you should become a writer!!!! This is one of the best reviews we have gotten.

We highly appreciate all the details in your review and hope to have you dinning back at Meson Real soon.

Best regards and Happy Thanks Givings!!!

Canton of Bern, Switzerland
“High class food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

We were the only guests, but that was definitely not because of the food. I guess the prices are too high for locals and not everyone loves seafood. The waiters were lovely. If you have the money and love good food, visit this place.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MesonReal, Owner at Meson Real, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear Bunboklaat,

Thank you for the review!!! We are happy you can recognize good value. We are actually under the price of our competitor of the same level of quality, although we consider our self to be alone in Leon in this restaurant bracket (Really High Quality Food). If you go to Granada or Managua and check their prices, you'll be surprise to see that we are 30 to 40% under their prices.

We really appreciate your review and hope you came back to enjoy our food.

Best regards,