“Lackluster and in need of some "updating"”
Review of Hostel El Albergue

and 1 more site!
Hostel El Albergue
Ranked #9 of 61 Specialty Lodging in Leon
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We arrived at El Albergue after seeing it on a couple fliers. It is close to the Center of Leon which is a plus. There is some cool street/wall art in the common area and decent public space. The kitchen looked decently equipped with two burners and a variety of pans although we did not cook to attest to this. The guy a the desk was friendly and helpful when prompted for info. Free wi-fi and pancake breakfast offered.

Most rooms face into the courtyard so not much breeze. Our room had a ceiling fan. The doors have locks, but the gigantic, barless windows facing the courtyard are a slight security concern as one could crawl right in with no problem.

Our sheets had hair everywhere and the rooms/facilities are not so much dirty but a bit run down. A new paint job and some TLC might improve some of this.

Seems like the crowd is college-age. El Albergue is probably best suited for younger, more flexible budget travellers.

• Stayed: May 2014
There are newer reviews for Hostel El Albergue

Reviewed May 12, 2014

We went to the hostel two days ago personally to book a double room for two nights. We also paid a deposit. So today we paid a taxi to take us there, but on arrival the guy working at reception told us that the double room was booked for tonight, and that he only had space in the dorm. We asked him how that was possible since two days earlier we had put our names in the registry and paid a deposit, and all he could say repeatedly was that they only had room in the dorm.

Then we asked if he could call the other guy working at the hostel who had been there when we made the reservation. He replied that he could, but the other guy was not in Leon. We were confused. After this whole rather unwelcoming experience, we decided to go to another hostel rather than stay in the dorms.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Natasha J
Reviewed November 7, 2013

While staying in Leon I had an unfortunate run in with two men who left with my camera and all of my cash. If the staff hadn't been intuitive in protecting my passport and bank cards, my trip would have ended right there. Great people, great price!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

Hostal albergue was awesome we went with a group of friends and had so much fun, the staff took great care of us and were fun to hang out with at night. Sure the rooms aren't 5 star but you're in Nicaragua, be willing to rough it. You get what you need, a bed, pillow, fan, and breakfast in the morning! I recommend wearing flip flops in the shower just because you never know who is staying there. All around, beautiful hostal, great location close to the plaza, very nice atmosphere and area in the middle with a big tree and hammocks to relax under. Definitely stopping by next time I'm running through Leon

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed there for 2 weeks while going to spanish class. They organized the spanish class for me and I enjoyed living there. I will defnitly come back, when I am in Leon again. The personal is friendly and open, it is always nice to chat with them. In the morning everyone can make themselfs pancakes. The dorms are clean and the beds comfy.
It felt very homely staying there.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Hostel El Albergue did not convince me at all. Showers are a bit dirty, rooms are ok, atmosphere is a bit strange, really quiet. Pancakes for free - nice! I only spent one night there! It is not the perfect hostel for me, but I do know some people who really liked it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I found El Albergue after leaving a rather obnoxiously loud hostel, and it was perfect. We rented the dorms for $5 a person (which was the cheapest hostel we found in Leon) and slept comfortably. The staff was very friendly and we were PUMPED to find out that there were free pancakes & coffee in the mornings! Which helped us save money, of course.
I recommend this hostel for anyone who wants a laid back and relaxing environment.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple