“A quaint, quiet oasis in the heart of Leon, Nicaragua!”

Guesthouse El Nancite
Ranked #4 of 37 Leon B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

The owner built this uniquely charming hotel with his own two hands, and he'll cook you a delicious breakfast with those same two hands. Fairly priced, clean, absolutely beautiful! Free WIFI too. Selected by Trip Advisor as one of the top hotels in Leon in 2013.

• Stayed: July 2013
There are newer reviews for Guesthouse El Nancite

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I just spent 4 nights at El Nancite. It's a great place to stay. Actually the best in town in the 20-40/night price range. It's extremely clean, peaceful, and has a wonderful decor. The owner really did a good job adding a sense of elegance while maintaining balance with the local Nica vibe. You will love the garden areas, great for taking in a little reading or just a bit of quite time. The owners (husband and wife team) are really nice people, willing to sit down and chat with you about Nica history and the community. They're also heavily engaged in strengthening the capacity of locals in the area. From what i understand, they use some of the proceeds from the hotel to support a local youth arts program as well as other initiatives. Good to see folks that give back and help locals to help themselves. For reference, I'm a 40 year old male from the US. I tend to prefer clean, quite, safe, and centrally located hotels. I have some experience traveling in developing countries, as well as previous exposure to Nicaragua. El Nancite definitely exceeded my needs/expectations during my stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back near the garden. They're the quitest and have little quaint patios...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Travis P
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at El Nancite guesthouse in Leon. We moved from a supposedly more upscale hotel after being disappointed in it. Walked by Nancite on the way home from Spanish class nearby and LOVED IT FROM FIRST SIGHT! Went and checked out of the other hotel and checked right in! We stayed in room #2 with large lovely curved windows, comfortable and pretty slingback chairs (local) and best of all a great bed. The bathroom is large and has the biggest counter we found in 3 weeks of travel in the country. Heard the parrot in the garden next door (over a high wall) telling us "hola, hola" in the mornings.
Lush gardens, a big American style kitchen where the cook made our breakfast. The gardens and property are large and immaculate. Very friendly staff and other interesting travelers. Right in the heart of the city and near Pan y Paz (excellent bakery) and the Spanish School.
We highly highly recommend this little gem. Price is excellent too, especially if you don't use the A/C, We didn't use the A/C and found it comfortable with the ceiling fan and floor fan, but they have it if you want it.
Thanks, Nancite! We will be back! Lou and Mark, Colorado, USA

Room Tip: We stayed in room #2 which we would very much recommend. Upstairs, private, its own porch, lovely vi...
Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We found this guesthouse on our first day arriving in Leon without reading any reviews on it and we loved it so much that even though we planned on staying 2 days, we ended up staying for 10! The hotel is well decorated and always clean. The location is perfect for visiting the city. Very comfortable rooms. John, the owner and all the staff members made us feel like family and were always very helpfull.

For just a few dollars, John served us a very good breakfast with fresh juice and fruits. Some of them picked in the hotel garden. Everyday was a different breakfast and he always made something special for our two daughters. We travelled for 5 months from Mexico to Costa Rica and this is without a doubt the best place we found! Most places we checked out in Leon will give you less and will cost more!

We recomend it highly!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Karim B
Reviewed September 30, 2012

John Coronna`s sense of color and his meticulous skill in building have come together in a nest of peace and good feeling. Everything`s well maintained and convenient without being ostentatious or overdone. Your every request will be met if at all possible. The walls are punctuated by Nica folk art and paintings by Ledis, his wife, and others, and the fixtures and fittings all live up to that standard of quality of living. The courtyard teems with organic plants. For a few dollars John will make you an individualized breakfast in the morning. Wi-fi can be a little weak in spots but this will be fixed shortly. A great spot from which to explore Leon!

Room Tip: If solo, ask for Room 3. It`s bigger and opens on a flowered courtyard.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Eva v
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This bed and breakfast has two very different types of rooms. About 5 cheaper (27 dollars) rooms with few light and the window on a corridor, and other 5 bigger rooms far better including room 8 (with couches, tv, two queen beds, and a large terrace, at 45 dollars, august 2012) and others on the other side of the garden.

- the place is beautiful, with a lot of common spaces, with tables for the guests.
- the majority of the rooms are far from the street facing the coolest garden we have seen in Nicaragua
- if the guests are not noisy, this hostel is really quite
- the american owner and the nicaraguan brothers running it are absolutely friendly
- very very clean

Just consider that here there's not air con (on the second floor, below the roof, it may gets hot in the afternoon), no use of the kitchen, wi fi connection covers only a portion of the area, no drinks are available, not hot water - but this is normal in Leon. But these limitations should not stop from appreciating the hostel, which is below the average hostel in Nicaragua, and worth the money.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2012

This is a nice little surprise I found by luck after walking past it on my way to a Spanish school nearby - and I ended up staying there for 6 weeks. It's a small, colonial style hotel that has has all updated rooms, super clean, decent size (I was in a double), all rooms have ceiling fans (doubles also have a floor fan) & a few have A/C, good wifi in my room (closer to the front desk), cable tv, reasonably hot showers, and lots of greenery throughout the grounds in a couple of courtyards.

Prior to staying here I checked out in-person probably a dozen other hotels in the area at similar mid-price range ($25 - $50/night), including some that had high ratings in Lonely Planet (this hotel wasn't yet around at the time of the last LP review), and by far this was the best. Most of the other hotels' rooms are older, well-worn, small, and generally not as nice yet most charge higher prices. It may not have all the amenities of the high-end hotels but for the price you can't beat it.

I didn't have breakfast myself but a couple friends from the US visited me for a few days and I heard excellent reviews of the breakfast as well as they liked their rooms too. Super-nice & helpful family staff/owners, they even gave me a little gift when I checked out to return to the US - definitely felt a good family vibe to the place.

As with other reviews, I agree the location is good: close to the action (easily walkable) yet in a quieter (and safe) area. The place is quiet, tranquil, very comfortable...not the backpacker, party crowd thankfully. The main thing they need is for more people to know about the hotel!

Room Tip: I think the wifi works best in the rooms closest to the front
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo