“If you go to Managua, Leon or Granada - Call Julio”

Julio Tours Nicaragua - Day Tours
Ranked #4 of 28 Tours in Leon
More attraction details
Owner description: Our main Tour are: families vacations trips, shore escurcion Corinto and San Juan del Sur. Sandboarding Cerro Negro and Telica volcano hike everydays
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“If you go to Managua, Leon or Granada - Call Julio”
Reviewed April 12, 2011

Just got back from 11 days in Nicaragua with my wife and two children (15 & 13)- Julio started off with us on our first three days -after that we traveled on our own to the Corn Islands. Julio had a sign for us right at the airport (Managua is not a place you want to drive) and took us to Leon - he gave us great tour that included all of the history and some very personal and heart felt stories - took us all sorts of places you'd never find otherwise. On the second day we went to Cerro Negro (black volcano) to ski down it (plan on getting dirty)- the drive there was great - seeing how many of the rual "Nicas" live. The third day we traveled to Masaya and Granda with Julio and his two beautiful daughters Jolandra and Gemma - the kids spoke a little Spanish and played cards. In Masaya we went to the market - not the toursit one - but the one the locals go to -(same stuff - less cost). I have traveled extensively and usually do not think about taking a tour - but- I would, if you are going to Managua, Leon or Granada & Julio is your man, he truly cares about what he does and offers you a whole different perspecitve on things - he felt much more like a friend than a guide..my whole family enjoyed Julio's Tour...

Visited April 2011

Columbus, Ohio
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Julio Tours is sensitive to your travel interests”
Reviewed March 22, 2011

I found Julio Tours onTrip Advisor. I contacted Julio in advance of our trip to Leon. Julio responded to my e-mails with great detail. He helped us decide how long to stay in Leon and arranged side trips throughout the area based on our interests. While people have commented on his willingness to tell his personal story, he also shares fascinating information about the present political and cultural climate in Nicaragua. He is proud of his country.
My husband and I are almost 60. Julio made sure that we were comfortable and safe doing adventurous activities. We hiked Cerro Negro Volcano and descended it's steep ash side without problem. Julio carried my board to the top and never pressured me to do things outside of my comfort zone.
Julio suggested activities that were off the beaten track. He was resourceful, flexible, and his fees were reasonable.
One last note, if you use Julio, it would be nice to bring pencils, rulers, and small notebooks to give to the children you see during your travels. Julio purchases those items himself and freely distributes them to the children in remote areas. I wish that I had brought things to "gift" to the children as well.

San Francisco, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Julio Tours was Great!”
Reviewed March 16, 2011

We were in Leon for just 2 days as part of a two week tour of Nicaragua. I thought that the tour of Leon was going to be another: "This church is an example of neo-classical, built in ..." factoid-tour. But Julio's discussion of the city of Leon was fascinating. His personal story of the last 20 years of the Nicaragua revolution is jaw dropping, funny, sad, and informative. I don't know how I could have thought that reading a wikipedia article and a couple of pages from Lonely Planet would have informed me about anything, let alone Leon. okay I know better now.

Also: Julio was one of the best drivers we had in Nicaragua: safe, reliable and on time. Julio went out of his way to make sure we were comfortable. I wish we had hired him for the rest of our trip.

I highly recommend Julio Tours.

Point Richmond, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“What a fascinating tour!”
Reviewed March 14, 2011

My husband and I joined Julio for a tour of Leon and the Cerro Negro volcano. We both enjoyed his tour of Leon and especially enjoyed hearing his personal history. His experience with the Sandinistas was fascinating. I highly recommend going out with him!

Wixom, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Julio tours was one of the best experiences we had in Nicaragua!”
Reviewed February 3, 2011

I found Julio here on trip advisor and was very glad I had. It was our first time to Nicaragua and Julio made us feel welcome from day one. I had set up most of our transportation from city to city with Julio (Managua, Leon, Apoyo, Granada). He speaks good English and gave us a lot of the history of his country and his experiences as a young man in the revolution. Julio was always very professional, courteous and honest. Thank you Julio for making our first trip to your country so wonderful. We will see you when we come back, hopefully sooner and later!!

Visited January 2011