“Excellent place full of interesting people”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hostel Sonati Leon

Hostel Sonati Leon
Ranked #8 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Leon
Bridport, United Kingdom
“Excellent place full of interesting people”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Sonati Hostel has been the best place I've stayed in so far in Central America. Accommodation was basic but comfortable - I opted for a single room which was in a building across the road from the main hostel, but it was clean with a bed with a really thick comfortable mattress, a fan and a private bathroom for $10 a night. It had no windows, which was a downside, but no mosquitos either which is always a bonus! Free wifi was available both in the main building and in my annexe. The best points about the hostel were the people. A range of really interesting backpackers and volunteers were passing through the hostel all with stories to tell. It was friendly, laid back and sociable and provided a safe place to hang out. There were some great cats wandering about too, all looking healthy and well cared for. The kitchen had excellent coffee on tap and was well-equipped for self catering. I didn't really fall in love with Leon itself and found it hard to find desirable eateries, but with supermarkets and markets all close by it would have been great for self-catering. One backpacker was in making banana bread one afternoon, which is particularly impressive! I organised a two day tour to Telica volcano through Sonati, run by their volunteers. They didn't laugh in my face (I'm unfit and overweight!) but prepared me well for the tour, told me what to take, leant me additional equipment and then really looked after me when I was struggling during the tour. The volunteer tour guide knew her stuff and was able to share knowledge about the flora and fauna of the area as well as providing us with lots of decent meals. The fact that the organisation is not-for-profit and that my money will be going to environmental education endears me to Sonati even more. Definitely should be on the agenda if you're staying in Leon, a great place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I am sure that the hotel is going to respond to this but I have to share my opinion. I felt like it was overpriced for what it was. I think it is great that they are a nonprofit, helping out Nicaraguan kids. That is a plus for staying here. BUT because everyone is using the kitchen it is not very clean (there were ants everywhere). And the 24 hour coffee, is just coffee that has been sitting in a percolator for 24 hours. Also, my private room with a bath was not very clean. There were lots of hairs attached to a soap bar left in the bathroom, and while I was brushing my teeth a cockroach RAN UP MY LEG. That was seriously gross.
On the plus side, the location was pretty good, and safe. The staff was always available to ask questions (although they did not know that the Ruben Dario Museum was closed on Monday).
Overall, I would say find another place. Or don't come to Leon at all, and just do Granada instead...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank BradyBraun
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Sonati Hostel is a great place to stay with great staff, tv room with lots of DVDs, garden in the centre of the house, kitchen, dorms with ensuites and perfect for back packers. There are lockers too

the garden attracts humming birds and has hammocks

the wifi is fast and the location is 10 minutes from the centre and near cinema, supermarket and markets in Leon.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed here over the weekend to go volcano boarding. The hostel was really nice, very clean and not too hot at night thanks to all of the fans. Even though it wasn't a hostel to easily meet other travelers, the staff was really nice!

The hostel was just a few minute walk away from an ATM machine and the hostel Bigfoot. Since Sonati didn't have any tour guides for the day we were there, we ended up joining a group from Bigfoot.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Rotterdam
Reviewed June 7, 2012

great room, great atmosphere, great people,
do remember it is a backpackers, so it is not always quiet at night

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Very friendly and affordable hostel close to everything you need. We stayed in a small double with shared bathroom at a good price. They have wifi and a kitchen, and a small sheltered garden with hammocks and rocking chairs. Laundry is good value, quick and clothes were very clean and fresh.

We decided to stay an extra two weeks in Leon and moved to a new hostel with a larger room, Mozzies which is just fabulous. Leon is a very warm city and the higher ceilings in the room help the air circulate better.

I would be happy to return to Sonati for a 2/3 night stay again.

Room Tip: There's just no escaping noise from the kitchen if you take a double room. People get up early t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Mexico, Missouri
Reviewed June 5, 2012

The hostal itself was on the whole OK. We stayed in the dorm US$6 each), as they were otherwise full. The dorm was a bit smelly (not thee fault of the hostal, more the clients!), but the bathroom wasn't very nice. The communal area was OK, but somehow did not match up to the Tortugua hostal.

Our biggest issue was the bed bugs. I know bed bugs can happen to any hostal, but I think that their response wasn't great. The day before we got there, a girl told the staff she thought she had bed bugs, but the staff looked at her bites and said "no, they don;t look like bed bug bites". The night we were there, she got savaged by them, and we saw at least 2 crawl across her bed in the daylight. Another girl in another bed killed one more in her bed. I later found 2 more in my bag (although I didn't get bitten). The sad thing is that if the hostal had actuall checked the girls' bed when she told them about being bitten, they could have done something about it, as the place was clearly crawling with them.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PLPKN
SONATI, SONATI Director at Hostel Sonati Leon, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Hi, this is Nony, SONATI's director.
We thank our guest for the review, it is VERY important for us to learn from our mistakes.
Our staff did a mistake while not responding quick enough to the complain, we never had bed bugs before and the staff didn't believe we could had them at that moment.
After realizing that indeed we had bed bugs, we closed the place for few days, fumigating every corner few times with experts, to ensure none could survive. We didn't charge the accommodation from these affected guests and cleaned all their luggage at hot steams (killing these bugs), all costs paid by SONATI.
It is impossible to control the arrival of bed bugs, since they travel in the luggage of different travelers from one hostel to another. Though it may not be our fault, of course it is our responsibility to eliminate them and ensure safe and clean stay at our hostel to all our guests.
Unfortunately sometimes we do mistakes, but we always try to do all we can to be responsible for our mistakes and of course for our guests.