Bigfoot Hostel
Hotels.com
Hotel El Convento(Leon)
$139
$95
All reviewsvolcano boardingbeach housebeer ponggreat guidebig footdrinking gameshave a good timeour tour guidepool tableshuttle servicegreat atmospherecerro negroair conother travelerslas penitassmall poolcommon areas
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

This hostel was in the center of Leon, near the cathedral and the Central Park. The staff was friendly, informative, and bilingual! The staff tried there hardest, and succeeded, to help me find what I was looking for. Whether it was a classy dinner, off the tourist track tours, or classier cocktail bars/restaurants. I have done volcano boarding several times in Leon and can say without a doubt the best value and the best time is with Bigfoot hostel!
The hostel offers secure and nice beds and rooms with an amazing atmosphere. The beds are real beds not like most hostels in Central America, thin mattress pads. I have never wanted for hot water while staying here. The staff has always been helpful and friendly, especially when looking for a party. I consider this hostel my home away from home in Central America.
The food here is great. Pizzas, breakfast and liquid diets, booze, are affordable, delicious and reasonable priced. There are several times when they do special meals that are not to be missed. I would say this is a can't miss destination incentral america. Leon has history, culture, art, original picassos and rembrandts, and a beach 20 minutes away!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
boliveir, Owner at Bigfoot Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Hi Josh
Thank you for you great review we are happy that you had a great time here in Leon and with Bigfoot crew. I hope you come back and see us again.
Have a safe trip
Bigfoot Family

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Great fun!! Staff were helpful and knowledgeable, both on the volcano and in town. Hostel was a little noisier than we expected but it was all part of the overall experience. Would definitely recommend this adventure!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
boliveir, Owner at Bigfoot Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

Hi Ruby
We are happy to hear you had a great time here. The hostel can be a bit noise depending on the crowd we have however its like you said "its part of the overall experience". Im glad you recommend us to other travelers as well.
Take care and have a safe trip

Reviewed December 24, 2013

I’ll be real and straight to the point people. It's a hotel. Want to relax, which pool do you want to do it in, did you say the one on the beach, cool, private free shuttle leaves in an hour. You like to surf, they say what kind of board? Like partying? You choose; beers and a game of pool (they have two tables), club (they’ll take you there), on the beach (they have a private beach house), pool party, just say if you want BBQ (only eating veggies, they can do that, they really have thought of it all). And I could go on. This was my favorite, my number one, the best I have been to. It quite honestly, has everything. The guys legitimately want to make people smile.

Bigfoot does a real good job of getting some down to earth, happy, people pleasing, life loving people to work for them. Not some idiot trying to sound educated or who is busy watching a YouTube video when you stroll up. The one guy takes my bags and shows me around better than 99% of people where I work (I work in a four star) because he’s loving where he is. What do you want to do in town or in Nicaragua? Cuz they have a tourist desk that will walk you through everything you need to do in town, shuttles, meals, bars. They have it sorted out for you, its a vacation and they have it figured out for you.

When I left I congratulated them on what they have created. and other clearly think the same since I met people that stayed for weeks, plural, like it was an all inclusive resort. This place was unreal, set the bar high.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Hi Devon
Thank you so much for your fantastic review. Im glad you enjoyed your time in Bigfoot and have great things to share. Hope to see you soon if ever come back to Nicaragua.
Have a safe trip

Reviewed December 22, 2013

First of all, if you're trying to stay here because you're expecting anything other than a backpacker hostel, this isn't for you. However, it's a great hostel. I was traveling for research work and I had no problem with noise. I slept from about 10:30-7:00 each night with no problems. There was some noise from the bar, but it simmered down early as people went out. Maybe I just got lucky, but it was great.

I paid $8 for the AC dorm, which is totally worth the extra $2. The sheets were nice and clean, the bed was very comfortable, and they had cages under the bed that were plenty roomy for a backpack or suitcase. I was able to keep all my stuff locked up. That's not to imply it would have been stolen, I've just had bad luck with other hostels.

The hostel itself was very clean. There are women constantly mopping, cleaning bathrooms, and they even tended to our beds each day. Showers were clean and a neat set up- basically a shower cube. Made it so there was no wait.

There are plenty of spaces to lounge around, which is nice. Beers at the bar in the front were reasonably priced. Felt safe the whole time.

My only complaint would be that the staff seemed to be the ones who were drunk the most often. Made it tough if you had any questions.

Room Tip: I was in the AC room in the back corner, which was pretty dark and very secluded. Ask to be in a room away from the bar if you're worried about noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
boliveir, Owner at Bigfoot Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Hi Katie
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Its the best way to find out if we need to make any improvements. Im glad you enjoyed our hostel and about the volunteers we will take an action and make sure they don't drink while working. I appreciate your comment.

Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

Everyone in town knows this place so you'll have no trouble finding it (unless you confuse it with their Beach House hostel).

The hostel is designed for those who want to live the party. The bar is the centre of the action, whether to check in, book a tour or order food in the restaurant. A few steps further and you'll be surrounded by scantily clad young men playing pool, drinking beers, smoking cigarettes and talking about volcano boarding. Sik. And once the party is over and the lights go out (at 11pm on a Thursday when we stayed - not as hard core as we thought then!) the hoards move on to the next party at whichever bar that might be.

Keep walking past the wicker couches and hammocks and you'll hit the showers and bathrooms. If you walk slow enough you might also see the small 'pool' on your right hand side.

The dorms are clean, the lockers are good and the beds are comfy. If you want to or need to sleep, as with all dorms and especially this one, bring earplugs (preferably silicone ones).

The wifi refused to play ball during our stay, but that's cool because Via Via hostel across the road has free wifi and there's an Internet cafe next door if you like your web action main lined.

The transfer we arranged to El Tunco in El Salvador turned up and got us there within 2 hours of the scheduled arrival time, which is all you can ask in this part of the world. The restaurant was solid.

It's a party hostel, so be prepared and don't bleat if you hear suggestions like 'get drunk' to a request for a suggestion on what to do that day (true story). A good option might be to stay at Via Via across the road if you want full control over when to call it a night.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
boliveir, Owner at Bigfoot Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

Hi Debrisc
Im glad you found our beds comfy, the dorms clean and the lockers good… about the pool yeah its a small pool just to refresh… About the noise its a bit hard to control and as you say its a party hostel but we do stop the party around 11PM and take people out to the next bars but some people rather stay and yeah some people make a bit of noise which is hard for us to control… however we do our best to take them out to other places like the salsa night on thursday at Olla Quemada (which is great by the way)… our wifi can be a bit of problem from time to time… this is Nicaragua however we did fix that and now we have the fastest internet so that should be a problem anymore… As you said Via Via is also a great place too right across the road from us… its a bit more expensive but its also good..
I hope you have a great trip and once again thank you for your feedback.