“What do I want”
Review of Bigfoot Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leon
Bigfoot Hostel
Ranked #3 of 58 Specialty Lodging in Leon
Whistler, Canada
“What do I want”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I’ll be real and straight to the point people. It's a hotel. Want to relax, which pool do you want to do it in, did you say the one on the beach, cool, private free shuttle leaves in an hour. You like to surf, they say what kind of board? Like partying? You choose; beers and a game of pool (they have two tables), club (they’ll take you there), on the beach (they have a private beach house), pool party, just say if you want BBQ (only eating veggies, they can do that, they really have thought of it all). And I could go on. This was my favorite, my number one, the best I have been to. It quite honestly, has everything. The guys legitimately want to make people smile.

Bigfoot does a real good job of getting some down to earth, happy, people pleasing, life loving people to work for them. Not some idiot trying to sound educated or who is busy watching a YouTube video when you stroll up. The one guy takes my bags and shows me around better than 99% of people where I work (I work in a four star) because he’s loving where he is. What do you want to do in town or in Nicaragua? Cuz they have a tourist desk that will walk you through everything you need to do in town, shuttles, meals, bars. They have it sorted out for you, its a vacation and they have it figured out for you.

When I left I congratulated them on what they have created. and other clearly think the same since I met people that stayed for weeks, plural, like it was an all inclusive resort. This place was unreal, set the bar high.

boliveir, Owner at Bigfoot Hostel, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Hi Devon
Thank you so much for your fantastic review. Im glad you enjoyed your time in Bigfoot and have great things to share. Hope to see you soon if ever come back to Nicaragua.
Have a safe trip
Bigfoot Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Korean first
Albany, New York
Reviewed December 22, 2013

First of all, if you're trying to stay here because you're expecting anything other than a backpacker hostel, this isn't for you. However, it's a great hostel. I was traveling for research work and I had no problem with noise. I slept from about 10:30-7:00 each night with no problems. There was some noise from the bar, but it simmered down early as people went out. Maybe I just got lucky, but it was great.

I paid $8 for the AC dorm, which is totally worth the extra $2. The sheets were nice and clean, the bed was very comfortable, and they had cages under the bed that were plenty roomy for a backpack or suitcase. I was able to keep all my stuff locked up. That's not to imply it would have been stolen, I've just had bad luck with other hostels.

The hostel itself was very clean. There are women constantly mopping, cleaning bathrooms, and they even tended to our beds each day. Showers were clean and a neat set up- basically a shower cube. Made it so there was no wait.

There are plenty of spaces to lounge around, which is nice. Beers at the bar in the front were reasonably priced. Felt safe the whole time.

My only complaint would be that the staff seemed to be the ones who were drunk the most often. Made it tough if you had any questions.

Room Tip: I was in the AC room in the back corner, which was pretty dark and very secluded. Ask to be in a roo...
boliveir, Owner at Bigfoot Hostel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Hi Katie
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Its the best way to find out if we need to make any improvements. Im glad you enjoyed our hostel and about the volunteers we will take an action and make sure they don't drink while working. I appreciate your comment.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

Everyone in town knows this place so you'll have no trouble finding it (unless you confuse it with their Beach House hostel).

The hostel is designed for those who want to live the party. The bar is the centre of the action, whether to check in, book a tour or order food in the restaurant. A few steps further and you'll be surrounded by scantily clad young men playing pool, drinking beers, smoking cigarettes and talking about volcano boarding. Sik. And once the party is over and the lights go out (at 11pm on a Thursday when we stayed - not as hard core as we thought then!) the hoards move on to the next party at whichever bar that might be.

Keep walking past the wicker couches and hammocks and you'll hit the showers and bathrooms. If you walk slow enough you might also see the small 'pool' on your right hand side.

The dorms are clean, the lockers are good and the beds are comfy. If you want to or need to sleep, as with all dorms and especially this one, bring earplugs (preferably silicone ones).

The wifi refused to play ball during our stay, but that's cool because Via Via hostel across the road has free wifi and there's an Internet cafe next door if you like your web action main lined.

The transfer we arranged to El Tunco in El Salvador turned up and got us there within 2 hours of the scheduled arrival time, which is all you can ask in this part of the world. The restaurant was solid.

It's a party hostel, so be prepared and don't bleat if you hear suggestions like 'get drunk' to a request for a suggestion on what to do that day (true story). A good option might be to stay at Via Via across the road if you want full control over when to call it a night.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Debrisc
Im glad you found our beds comfy, the dorms clean and the lockers good… about the pool yeah its a small pool just to refresh… About the noise its a bit hard to control and as you say its a party hostel but we do stop the party around 11PM and take people out to the next bars but some people rather stay and yeah some people make a bit of noise which is hard for us to control… however we do our best to take them out to other places like the salsa night on thursday at Olla Quemada (which is great by the way)… our wifi can be a bit of problem from time to time… this is Nicaragua however we did fix that and now we have the fastest internet so that should be a problem anymore… As you said Via Via is also a great place too right across the road from us… its a bit more expensive but its also good..
I hope you have a great trip and once again thank you for your feedback.
Albury, Australia
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This hostel was great for meeting people with a good bar and lots of activities and vibe. Unfortunately this means sleeping is tough. The dorms are pretty poorly lit and hot, too. Good bathroom facilities. Not a lot of local flair, feels really international - recommend if you want to party and meet people but otherwise it's pretty average.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Hi Amazdog
As you said our hostel is a great place for meet people and that our bar have a great vibe… I'm sorry that you didn't have a good sleeping experience. Leon is a very hot place, actually is one of the hottest place in Nicaragua so the dorms can be bit hot however we do offer dorms with AC for those who find hard to sleep with the heat from Leon. Our does also have fans to help but if you really have problems the AC dorms is what we recommend.
Thank you and hope you have a safe trip
Miami, Florida
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Im surprised to read bad reviews about this place! I paid $8 for a comfy bed in a dorm room with airconditioning. They have an awesome bar and restaurant, but ALSO a kitchen (and the nicest and cleanest Ive ever seen in a hostel) if you want to cook your own food. The bathrooms were clean, the hammocks were cool, it attracted a super cool crowd of people, and most importantly, the people who worked here absolutely rocked. I felt so at home. Plus, even if you don{t stay here.... this is the ONLY place I would do the volcano boarding! Definitely the best place around!

Hi Niva
Im so glad you had a blast in Bigfoot… Thank you for your comment and for sharing your experience with other travelers… As you said we do have comfy beds and dorms with and without AC depending on your budget. Our bar do attract a good crowed of people specially those who wants to meet new travelers and this is what makes Bigfoot a great place… Our staff rocks and we do our best to accommodate everyone as much as possible… Im very happy you liked our volcano boarding and recommend it to others as we are the best on it….
Thank you for your review and hope you have a safe trip
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2013

This hostel was the most horrible hostel we stayed in in our 6 week your around Nicaragua.
If you like overpriced dungeon private rooms, no towels offered-was told to buy our own towels from supermarket. Staff thought they were way too cool didn't smile, not great service. Wifi barely loaded anything. Kitchen was bare bones not much cutlery or cooking utensils. Really loud music until 11.30 at night on a Wednesday?! The manager with dark curly hair snorted cocaine right outside our room one night as I walked past. We were supposed to stay here three nights but we left and stayed at much better, cleaner, quieter, hostel just around the corner for the rest of the week. Do yourself a favour and avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Jessica J
Bigfoot N, Owner at Bigfoot Hostel, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Dear Jessica
Thank you for your review. However some of your comments are not currently correct. Our rooms have a reasonable price especially compared to other hostels as we do have the cheapest rate for dorms. About the staff you might be right as we have received a few complains about it and we are taking action to correct it. About the Wifi we do have 2 different connections. When we have too many people using the one around the bar it does make it slower and when people want to download something we do recommend the one on the other side. Im sorry you experienced bad connection during your stay. After your comment we did check our kitchen and we did replace what was missing. About the noise we do keep our bar open as late as 11:30PM however we do explain up on arrival so you did know when you checked in, and if you stayed in a private room you have to agree with me that the noise from the bar does not affect those rooms because they are way at the back.
Now about the manager, I think what you are doing is a very serious accusation that it is not true. We did check our surveillance cameras and we did not find our manager using cocaine or any other type of drugs in our hostel. He is a very professional and a serious manager who I trust. He would never do that but to be sure once again we did check our 24 cameras spread all over the hostel and did not find him doing anything inappropriate.
Im really sorry you had a bed experience
UK
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Plus points:
Avg price
Bar & restaurant on site
Very clean floors so few bugs

Bad points:
Staff are too busy being cool to smile
The pool was ankle deep
Poor wifi
Hammocks are right outside the loos/showers
Shot challenges each afternoon give it a cheesy package holiday feel although this is only for 1 hr so easy to avoid

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
boliveir, Owner at Bigfoot Hostel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Hi Gayle
Accept our apologies that our hostel did not meet your expectations. However Im glad you liked our price and the fact that we have Bar and Restaurant on the site. Also thank you for mention our cleanness as we do our best to keep that way. Im sorry you had a bad experience with our staff however I believe you had a bad experience with one staff member so I find hard to generalize our staff members. About the pool Im sorry but I have to disagree and say that its more like waist deep and this coming year we are planning on expanding so hopefully you get back to see it. About the Wifi Im really sorry you had difficulties with it however we did fix it and now we have a better and faster internet. Our hammocks are located at the back of the hostel which is near the bathroom but not right in front of it.
Thank you for your review and hope you have a safe trip.