“good deal, central location, and great staff!”
Review of Bigfoot Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leon
Bigfoot Hostel
Ranked #6 of 58 Specialty Lodging in Leon
Seattle, Washington
“good deal, central location, and great staff!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for three nights and really enjoyed it. We had a private room with bathroom (fyi no door between bed and bath), and although the fans didnt do that much to help with the heat, the room was quiet and away from the bustle. We went volcano boarding with them and also used their shuttle service to and from other cities. Both shuttles were air conditioned and 12 bucks each way person. Food at the volcano cafe was cheap and tasty. We got one of their huge paninis to go for a hike we did and it was massive and tasty. Their Be Patient smoothie was super tasty too. Irene who worked there was our guide for volcano boarding and also helped us out a lot. She remembered who we were and made sure we got on the right shuttles, our tourguides found us, and more.

All in all I'd say we knew we were getting a hostel and assuming you know what you are getting onto it's great. We met lots of travelers there and had a great time in Leon.

Room Tip: The private rooms were upstairs and away from the noise of the bar and other dorms. Hot because the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bigfoot N, Manager at Bigfoot Hostel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you andrea k for your review of our hostel! Leon is the second hottest city here in Nicaragua and unfortunately a lot of the time it is inescapable for us all. However, we now offer 2 dorm rooms with A/C and future plans for some of our private rooms to also have A/C so people can choose for a bit of respite from the heat.

We are not just a hostel here at Bigfoot, but we also have a full service tour desk offering an array of tours and shuttles. We make sure that our clients make it onto their tours and transportation so there will be no set backs in our guests travels.

Take care and good luck in your future travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Korean first
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Absolutely loved this place! Stayed here for 5 nights, had so much fun. The Volcano boarding was defs the best with these guys, awesome staff, delicious food, and nice strong rum drinks!!! All the people staying here were also really fun, and the 4 of us who travelled together would go back there in a heartbeat.

Bigfoot N, Manager at Bigfoot Hostel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you TaylorCanada_13 for your great review! We are so happy you had an amazing time here with us at Bigfoot! We love having fun and sharing it with our guests. If you ever find yourself in Leon again please let us know and we can show you all the new things we have to offer like our dorm rooms with A/C and our brand new Bigfoot Beach House just 20 mins away on Las Penitas Beach with multiple daily complimentary shuttles. So hopefully we will see you all in the future!

Take care and travel safe!
Laval, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We had an amazing stay at the hostel! We were a group of 10 and we had the first dorm for our group. People talk in English, Spanish. Its a party hostel! There is a bar, a pool, a pool table and a place to relax. If you want to have a tour trip to visit Leon ask Breno, the owner, to do it with Pedro!!! It was very nice! ... And what about the volcano boarding.... after they were closed for 12 days, we were the first group to go back and let me tell you... it was AWESOME!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Bigfoot N, Manager at Bigfoot Hostel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thanks Marilyne for your great review! We are glad we could help to make your trip better and that you had the chance to volcano board with us. Unfortunately a lot of people missed out on this thrilling activity, but there isn't much we can do when Mother Nature makes up her mind.

We love our jobs here at Bigfoot and we love to share the fun we have everyday with our guests. IF you ever make it back to Leon, please let us know as we have new things you are sure to love! Including a dorm with A/C and our brand new Bigfoot Beach House just 20 mins away on beautiful Las Penitas Beach.

Take care and we hope to see you in the future!
Lelystad, Flevoland, Netherlands
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Bigfoot Hostel was the first hostel I had ever slept in. It was a great experience! I'm 6,6 ft tall and the beds big enough. All though it is quite warm there are enough fans to keep a nice breeze going trough the dorms and double rooms (tried them both, were both great) They offer some very cool trips such as volcano boarding which was invented by an Australian who opened Bigfoot years ago. It's awesome! The food is very good and not too expensive however, there are always cheaper ways such as cooking. The kitchen is big but lacks a little in good kitchen tools such as a good chefs knife. Overall I spend an awesome couple of days at Bigfoot! One caution though, if you're not in to partying every night then i would suggest going some place else.

Bigfoot N, Manager at Bigfoot Hostel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for the review Stephan! We know how hot it gets here in Leon and always try to keep things as cool as possible in our dorm rooms. We have even added A/C to one of our dorms here for people who need a bit more of a respite from the heat. We are constantly trying to improve our services to our guests and we are always trying to keep our kitchen stocked with the items needed to cook their own meals. If our kitchen is missing something our guests can always ask to borrow something from our cafe, if it is available, too.

We here at Bigfoot try to give our guests the best of both worlds by giving them a fun and lively atmosphere great for making friends and socializing while also enforcing quiet hours to give travelers a quiet place to stay. We do this by closing our bar at 11 pm and taking the guests looking to party to another location. Of course we cannot silence them all, but we do try our best. During check-in we can always try to accommodated our guests when possible if quieter rooms are requested.

Take care and we hope to see you again in the future!
florida
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I came to Nicaragua for just two days and my time at Bigfoot was by far the best part. The place was super fun to stay and and I met so many awesome people. Volcano boarding was one of the coolest things I've ever done and our guide was awesome and so much fun! I loved it here so much one night was definitely not enough.
The only negative experience were my shoes got stolen from my dorm so I had to borrow someone else's for volcano boarding. But then again guess it's my fault for not putting them in my locker.
Overall, it's a great place and I'll be coming back next trip!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bigfoot N, Manager at Bigfoot Hostel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thanks for such a great review, Melissa! It is always amazing to hear that we had such an impact on someone's travels. We love our jobs here at Bigfoot and we love to share that with our guests.

I am sorry to hear about your shoes and hopefully it was more of mistaken identity then theft, but either way with our 24 hour cameras in our common areas we have decreased theft and helped more people recover lost, misplaced, left behind or stolen items.

Take care and hope to see you again in the future!
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Sick Hostel, super friendly (English Speaking) people which really helped us out throughout our visit in Central America. Great environment, the bar included and Volcanoe boarding brought everyone together, forming a great atmosphere. Great Hostel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bigfoot N, Manager at Bigfoot Hostel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thanks Pontigoose for such a great review! We here at Bigfoot love to have a good time so we love to hear when our guests have a great time as well! Let us know if you are ever back in Leon! We have added some more great things in the last few months like the opening of our Bigfoot Beach House just 20 mins away on Las Penitas Beach!

Take care and hope to see you again!
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I spent 3 nights here during weekdays so perhaps can't give the most accurate rating- I found BF to be raucously quiet, by which I mean there's a party if you want one, but the rooms stay calm (and luxuriously dark) if you need some shut-eye. I managed to get 12hrs of (glorious, sweaty and uninterrupted) sleep my first night and 0hrs the 2nd and 3rd, so you can have it all.

BF is definitely an up-and-coming place that will blossom into more of a bpacking haven as Leon becomes more and more popular in the next yrs, but....it's still a chil'.

it'd be nice to see more (spontaneous or organized) excursions for the guests---ie, rather than just boozing at the bar, conducting some treasure hunt or mini-amazing-race or "congelado"or futbol or chocolate eating contests (ha, self indulgence). Involve the locals, too, Nicas are fantastic. My last night some Nicas and I played baseball with an empty waterbottle and cap at 2 am, and I think it'd be cool if more backpackers got in on that. Leon is super safe so the lads should take advantage.

Another idea is, considering there are 3 seperate-ish communual rooms, each had its own groovy theme-- thus, people could wander to where they are most feelin' it. The bar-reception could be playing rock'n'roll, the resto could blast some latin beats (which they do, thanks to the cooks, but not loud enough to make hips sway), the orange couch place could do reggae or dub or whatever else is hip....and switch around. Each could have an activity of sorts too: learn to cook gallo pinto whilest listening to merengue? stack 99 bottles of beers on a wall? play translation telephone? These could be appreciated, particularly on a rainy day

Big hitchking thumbs up to the volcano boarding gang (though going twice would be so nice!) and those rockin' cookies, and hats off to the cooking and cleaning crew. The food is scrumptious and sumptuous and I love the smell of ammonia-riddled-cleaning products in a crowded spot.

Minus side, more staff organization/communication could help. Unfortunately (or fortunately) though I had left it comfortably safe with the chap at reception, my eye-phone was nabbed my first night. Granted, I left it for 12hrs and could've been more vigilant myself, but considering there's a guard, I'd wish there'd been more answers as to what happened, or it had been better attended to. I didn't know what my options were (police? meh...) and perhaps could've been better directed. But this is my madonna material side speaking. The staff is really quite nice. OH, but no one should work over 8hrs (and especially not 17, yikes), even if by their own desire. Hopefully it doesn't happen too often, but creativity, enthusiasm and overall positive vibes could be pumped up when staff get more off-time.

pura vida, que siguan adelante

Bigfoot N, Manager at Bigfoot Hostel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you LolaTiguera for your review of our hostel here in Leon! We would also like to thank you for all your suggestions as we are always looking for new ways to help our guests have fun and take part in Nicaraguan culture. We also pride ourselves in trying to give travelers a fun and lively atmosphere yet a quiet place to sleep by enforcing quiet hours.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your iPhone. To add safety and security for all our guests we have added security cameras to our common areas which has helped to decrease theft and increase recovery of our guests property if anything had been lost, left behind or unfortunately stolen.

If you ever make it back to Leon, please let us know if there is anything else we can do to make your trip a success. We now have a brand new Bigfoot Beach House on Las Penitas Beach with complimentary shuttles for our guests. You can stay for the day or go for the night!

Thank you again and take care!