“Amazing Vibe” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bigfoot Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leon
Bigfoot Hostel
Ranked #3 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Leon
Leon, Nicaragua
“Amazing Vibe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Bigfoot has an amazing vibe that just energizes you the moment you walk in the door. The staff are all super friendly and clearly love what they're doing. The volcano boarding trip is made 5 times better than just a slide down the mountain because of the guide (Rock on Alex!) and the overall energy of the people and experience. One guy in our group hit 71kph on his trip down the volcano (They use a radar gun) and everyone was cheering him on and applauding!

Add in having both a kitchen and a great cafe and bar, awesome decoration, etc...

This is a hostel you have to check out if you go near Leon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Hi Mr DIY
Thank you so much for taking your time to write it down your review and share your experience with other travelers. Im glad you had a good experience with us, during your stay as much as your volcano boarding experience. I also wants to thank you for noticing our decoration and our friendly staff, and hopefully next time you come you can be the one breaking the speed record of 95 kph
Thank you once again and have a safe trip .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

First hostel I've stayed at and I had a great time! Volcano boarding is so fun and everyone working here is very friendly! The food from the kitchen is tasty. The dorm rooms were extremely hot though.

• Stayed April 2013
Hi Kristy
I dont know what to say to your review... should I feel bad that we were your first good experience in hostels or if I should be happy that Bigfoot was your first good experience? Anyway Im just glad you had a great time and took your time to share with others your experience. About the temperature in the rooms dont worry next time you come back we will have this problem solved as we are already working on it.
Thank you so much once again Kristy and have a safe trip..
Managua, Nicaragua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

just spent two weeks at Bigfoot...cannot praise the place highly enough...Fantastic management, great party atmosphere, but enough space to chill if you're not up to it every night...the staff are great,(especially Juanito.) but the owners made it for me (kinda fell in love with cleo)..favourite parts- the kitchen (fresh smoothies everyday) really good internet wifi and the girls who work there including Tim. The only drawback was the pool (which should be turned into a Jacuzzi and that the Dorms could do with a couple more fans...apart from that....GO....and board down the volcano.enjoy....Gareth.

Room Tip: mezzanine level dorms (though be careful when schnitzelled)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hi Gareth
Thank you so much for your review and for taking your time to share your experience. Im glad you had a great time with us and please do come back... I remember you siting with your computer chillin at the back. Im sure you as many other travelers loved Juanitos jokes... he is hilarious... Thank you once again for your feedback and I will think about transfer the pool into a jacuzzi. Not a bad idea.
Take care and have a safe trip
Cerro Negro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I arrived at the Bigfoot Hostel in the wee hours of Easter Sunday. I took the shuttle from Managua, catching a nap along the way. When I got inside the hostel a staff member showed me to my room via a flashlight. It was really dark. The room was quaint, quiet, and a little hot. But once I got the fan positioned right, I dozed off. I chose a single room because I was traveling solo.

The next day I explored Leon on foot, got lost, and caught a ride back to the Bigfoot by a friendly local. After a great lunch at the Volcano Cafe, I switched rooms because my shower was barely dripping. The staff was happy to switch me & gave me directions to the local supermarket. I also signed up for volcano boarding, which was the main focus of my trip.

The ride towards Cerro Negro (the volcano) was rowdy, raucous, and wonderful! Our tour guide was a Canadian lad with a quick wit and a smashing personality. I'll refer to him as K-dog (a.k.a. Kirian sp?) from here on. As we drove towards the volcano we learned interesting facts about the Nicaraguan people & their customs. Some of us tried to grab a cluster of mangoes as we drove along. The person who grabbed the most got a cold brew.

Hiking up the volcano was awesome. The views were spectacular! Once again, K-dog gave us valuable insight into the interesting history of the volcano, and of the sport of volcano boarding. At the top, I was so excited to begin that I nearly wet myself. Not really. Anyway, I tried to set an all-time speed record, and failed miserably. Should of listened to K-dog. "Just let gravity guide you back....don't lean back too soon," he said.

After the first run I was hooked. And for the next 4 days I climbed Cerro Negro each day, becoming an assistant guide so-to-speak. My top speed was 41 mph, about 65 kph. I was happy with that. But on my last run K-dog let me jog down the black turf. I thought this was a nice way to cap off my visit. So as I jaunted off on my jog, I made sure to position myself as close to the cameraman (K-dog) as possible. Problem was, I got going too fast and couldn't control myself.

As I write this, the scab on my knee has finally gone away. Yes, I crashed & burned on the last run--I mean jog--down the volcano. I humbly submit that the pics of my fall were AWESOME! Plus, I cashed in on several rounds of beer thank to my heroics/stupidity....

Thank you to all the fabulous staff at Bigfoot Hostel for giving me the experience of a lifetime. Everyday was filled with excitement, new people, and good fun. Sorry I wrote so much, but I am an English teacher, so of course I like to talk..

Cheers!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Managua, Nicaragua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

I just spent the weekend in Leon at Bigfoot and it was a great time. I don't believe that I would of had as much fun in Leon if I stayed somewhere else. The living quarters were comfortable and the activities lying prevent dull moments from ever occurring when your not doing any of their planned stuff. Food was delicious and the crowd that the hostel attracts a good bunch.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Our first stop in Nicaragua and we kicked it off with 1 night at Bigfoot. We got what we expected: A fun 'ready to party' environment, basic accomodation (hostel is super worn in, could use some new paint and a good eye for design), kind hosts and a lot of really nice fellow travelers. We went on the Volcano boarding tour and had a blast. It's a tough hike but worth the zip down the mountain! Drinks were cheap and we went to a fun trivia night across the street and won.

Basically, for the price my boyfriend and I paid to sleep here, which was dirt cheap, we got what we expected. No let downs and never super impressed. Bigfoot has it's niche. It fills it's role and caters to it's backpacker clientele perfectly so I'm giving it a 4 because it's crystal clear what you're in for and I respect that.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

A friend and I stayed in the dorms for 3 nights here and had an amazing experience. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There were plenty of activities to keep us busy including a pool table and the infamous volcano boarding. We actually did the volcano boarding twice because it was so much fun. The rooms were clean, and backpacker friendly lockers were available for all guests. Many people claim that it is a party hostel, which up until 11ish it can be; however, they close the bar at a reasonable time and the noise dies down by around 12, making it possible to get a good night of sleep. I would definitely return to stay at this hostel and recommend the volcano boarding to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends