“Go to for Volcano Boarding”
Review of Bigfoot Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leon
Bigfoot Hostel
Ranked #5 of 71 Specialty Lodging in Leon
Reviewed August 16, 2012

First the good stuff... Volcano Boarding was awesome! Exactly what I wanted it to be. Crazy hike up, I have a new pacemaker so I wouldn't have been able to make the hike without Carlos, our guide and photographer extraordinaire. Seriously, without him I would have been just sitting at the bottom wishing I was at the top. Anyway, he led a great hike, filled with interesting facts about Cerro Negro, stopped to take some great group photos (took requests and uploaded all the pictures ridiculously fast, seriously the guy knows what he is doing). Standing at the top looking down was a bit intimidating but it was one of the most exhilarating things I've done in quite a while. I plan on going back and doing this again in a year or so, when I am in better shape and would recommend this place to anyone as your one-stop Volcano Boarding destination. Great value when you think about everything being provided from room, transportation, equipment, guide, beer and Mojitos.

Bigfoot Hostel it's self was not exact my ideal hostel, they don't accept reservations I was told so I had to come in blind but they had a dorm room available so it worked out. They were a little disorganized, I was asked to pay for my dorm room several times by the same employee even though I had already paid him. I had to keep reminding him I had already paid for the room. Then every morning they asked me to tell them if I was staying an additional night and to make sure I paid for it by 11am, so I had to keep reminding them I had paid for all three nights up front. The Hostel was a little too party party for my taste, would have preferred Via Via across the road (quieter, more laid back, I ate there most nights great food).

Leon itself is beautiful, Bigfoot is situated nicely with good places to eat (Try Don Jack's around the corner), near beautiful churches and the Museum, walking distance to Camaleon a great after hours party place. So I'd say Definitely a Do if you are in Leon...but be prepared for the party atmosphere...

Room Tip: The dorm rooms to the back of the hostel are much quieter than the front ones as you are away from t...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Hey guys! If you guys get a chance defo check out bigfoot hostel in Leon. We were there for 3 days and had an unreal time. Volcano boarding is seriously amazing. We got up to speeds of like 72km\hr. The guide Carlos is a seriously cool guy which makes the whole trip much more fun. He'll have a camera with him so you'll get some great snaps of you at full speed. The whole experience is defo worth it guys so if you get a chance give it a go.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carlos S
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I arrived at the bigfoot on Saturday afternoon. Check in was quick and easy and I also signed up for the volcano boarding. I would definitely recommend this place. However,note that this is a party hostel, the music is loud and the drinks are flowing. So if this is not your style, I would recommend going somewhere a little more quite. I had a good time, partied with the other travelers till 11pm when their bar closes. Then one of the lovely ladies that works at the cafe and Carlos (the volcano boarding guide) walked us to a club where the partying continued. Next morning volcano boarding was AWESOME. Would do it again in a heart beat. I really enjoyed my stay, volcano boarding and the people I meet.

Room Tip: Get the rooms further from the entrance, their much quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Njox K
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Big foot is a party hotel and nothing is wrong with it, I didn't mind even though I didn't want to party; it quiet down around 11pm enough to be able to sleep. The problem was that no-one cleans after the party. When I woke up in the morning bottles and dirty glasses were everywhere, tables and chairs in a mess, there just wasn't a nice spot to have breakfast.
Besides the staff is not very friendly, neither helpful; we asked the staff what time they open the kitchen in the morning (because supposedly they close it at 11pm), because we wanted to have early breakfast; we were told that no earlier than 8am and nothing can be done.
In terms of dorms they are huge, very stuffy, with one small hardly working fan and have no windows.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Had a confirmed reservation in a private room for several nights but when I showed up they said someone else was in my room. I asked if they had my reservation and they said they did. Apparently even with reservations if someone else shows up or wants to stay longer they allow them to.

After traveling for several hours I was not happy to find I didnt have a place to stay in Leon. To make matters worse the staff didn't seem to think that not honoring a confirmed reservation was a problem. A manager offered us one free mojito for the trouble (there were two of us). At the end of this interaction they did say they had vacancy in the hostel, but I did not want to have to interact with a business with such poor practices. I went to Via Via across the street which was a good experience.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank C R
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Such a fun place to stay! The rooms are clean, the prices are very reasonable, and their mijitos are the best in Nica. They also offer volcano boarding tours. Anthony, the tour guide was absolutely wonderful. He was very knowledgable of the volcano, the sport, and he will literally hold your hand if you get scared. Definitely a must see in Nicaragua. We had a great experience here!!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank ChristiLO
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I love the new owners, the crowd, the music, the food (Pizza, bagels, etc, etc), the themed dinner and drink specialty nights. I met some great friends in Leon. Some people that are doing some very awesome things, Breno and Green Lion Skateboarders (http://www.facebook.com/green.lion.35), people starting schools aka what Leon is all about. People making change. Not to mention, the staff at Bigfoot are all amazing, traveling solo there you will meet a TON of people at the bar where everyone starts the night. On top of that, Bigfoot is CLEAN. They clean like crazy there. Bathrooms, everything, at least 3 times a day. Bigfoot is in the PERFECT LOCATION, right near the main cathedral in the center of town. Walkable to all the bars, restaurants, museums and across the street from Via Via for trivia night and other travelers. OH, on top of all that they have hands down THE BEST VOLCANO BOARDING in town. Hands down and no argument. Anthony the tour guide is the a great guide, you get beers, mojitos and a nights stay included, and they are the inventors and best board makers in town. If you want a volcano board thrill ride GO WITH BIGFOOT. If you want a rip-off snowboard tour or a sissy scoot down the mountain tour go with someone else.

In closing, if you stay somewhere other than Bigfoot you are wrong. If you are in Leon-you stay at bigfoot. If you don't you will end up hanging out there anyways so just cut out all the foreplay and sleep with Bigfoot : )

Keep having fun.

Room Tip: Find a friend or two and go for the private rooms! Much better than the dorms!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo