“If in Leon, it's a MUST”

Cerro Negro Volcano
$87.00*
Private Cerro Negro Volcano Sandboarding Tour
Ranked #1 of 47 things to do in Leon
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Don't miss out on this one in a lifetime experience. Tierra Tours was a great choice to use and their tour guide was the best.

There are newer reviews for Cerro Negro Volcano

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Like everything in Nicaragua is hard to find on your own with a rental car. There is so few signs in this country. Well worth seeing. I recommend a taxi or bus.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

We hiked to the top and volcano boarded down. The hike and views from the top were great. The volcano boarding was not as cool. If you like being scared (you can't really see the bottom from the top where you start), you will love it. But the actual boarding down was not very fun. I'll stick to snow in the future.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

So I was having second thoughts and was completely petrified of actually going down the volcano on the trip there and especially once I saw the height of the volcano. I thought for sure I would wipe out and hurt myself, I am such a wimp when it comes to any sports. There is nothing to be afraid of, however, of Cerro Negro.

I went with Tierra Tours - my husband went the day before with another company, we have a 6 month old son so had to take turns - and the guide and ride were great. The hike up the volcano was definitely challenging, I work out on a regular basis but still found the hike in the heat difficult carrying a board but then guide stops periodically to give rests so it is ok as it was in the morning - I recommend going in the morning before the sun gets too hot. The boarding suits Tierra Tours gives to wear are disgusting, it is obvious they have never been cleaned since they were bought and 10 times too big for someone as petite as me but who really cares.

It is funny that I was so afraid of going down too fast because after I wish I would have gone down faster, it is hard to steer the board and very easy to get sand stuck on the board which stops you completely. The tour guide was nice enough to take some extra time with me on the way during then stop at the market to help me find some sneakers to wear which I had forgotten to bring.

All in all, a great day trip.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Close to Leon by car and Its about an hours walk to the top but the views all the way up and from the top are stunning. It can be very windy up here so if you're carrying a board it can make it a bit difficult. The boarding / sledging down is great fun but doesn.t last long, and you'll get a face full of ash so come prepared. Even without the boarding it was worth the trip, the boarding just added to the trip!