“For easy going and open minded peeps!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leon
Hostal La Tortuga Booluda
Ranked #1 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Leon
“For easy going and open minded peeps!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

I really appreciated this hostal!!! It was my first time in Latin America. The colors, the music, wifi, pancakes, everything was perfect. Leon is a nice city to discover Nicaraguan peeps. They are friendly so was the staff.
I was in a private room cause I had to many stuff LOL. However I loved the atmosphere I met a lot of people Americans, Europeans.
So jump on it.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a bit more than a week while traveling in Leon as I looked for a quiet place that would accompany my Spanish lessons I took in the city (didn't want to stay in one of the party hostels).

They saved me a dorm bed after calling ahead the same day from Granada. The place is abit far from central park, which is bearable at night and a bit harder while the burning sun is up...

Dorm was spacious enough with bathroom/shower inside (cold water) and large personal lockers. Bed were comfy, and there's a fan for each one of them! So important in this hot city..

The facilities are good and clean (nice garden/social area, well-equiptted kitchen with DIY pancakes breakfast included, house guitars and an average wi fi).

The staff is all local, very friendly young people, some speak English and some don't, they were very helpful with tips, advices and activities to do around (especially Carlos and Santos!)

They also offer a self service bar with soft drinks, beers, cheap water refill and cigarettes, with an honor-based tab system.

Lastly, the atmosphere here is (like its name) very chilled and relaxed, no stupid drinking games at night, and loads of good people to meet! I'd recommend this place to anyone visiting Leon!

• Stayed March 2013
Moyogalpa, Nicaragua
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed here 3 nights, 2 in a private room and 1 in the dorm. Both rooms were comfortable, but a bit hot, especially the dorm. There were several hammocks and comfy chairs in an outside courtyard. There was a nice sociable vibe and I met some interesting people. There was good quality coffee and you could cook yourself pancakes for breakfast. There was free WIFI. The place was quiet at night, but close enough to walk to lively bars. The staff were helpful and friendly.
The only slight drawback for me was the book exchange: the staff refused to exchange a book, even when I offered two books of my own. They couldn't give an adequate reason for this except that my books were "not good". I pointed out that one of them, The Old Man and the Sea, was in fact one of the best books ever written in the English language, but they continued to refuse. For me this left a sour taste in the mouth although I otherwise enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here, especially the "do it yourself" pancake breakfasts. The staff was great, especially Carlos and Santos. Santos gave us a great local dinner recommendation (Asados Pelibuey) which turned out to be our best meal in Nicaragua. The hostel is walking distance to everything, but yet removed from the tourist(y) area. We requested an air conditioned room, but the AC unit didn't work. Our room had 3 fans, which were all were put to use as it is very hot in Leon.

Tip: Request room #8.

Room Tip: You definitely want to go with room #8 as it is the only room with a private balcony.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ihearttraveling029
Granada, Nicaragua
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

My friends and I stayed at Tortuga Booluda last year and we liked it very much! the place has a nice garden which we liked a lot for it's perfect to enjoy one of the many books they have and also a cold Toña! the staff is quite helpful and gave us some good tips for nightlife in Leon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was pleased to get away from the typical backpacker party hostels when I found Tortuga Booluda. It is MUCH more laid back, but in a highly walkable part of Leon. There are plenty of things to do in this area and you can easily catch a cab to the bar if you are looking to party. I found the rooms to be clean and safe, and loved the kitchen and common areas. It's a very nice place and I would definitely stay here if I'm ever in Leon again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Managua, Nicaragua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

For a few personal reasons, I am not longer visiting the wonderful city of Leon with the same frequency as before.

However, during the course of just over one year, I stayed at La Tortuga about 30 times on weekend breaks aways from Managua. It really was a lovely experience staying at the Hostal. Very friendly staff, a calm, relaxing environment, perfect location, wonderful kitchen, all made it the ideal place to stay.

I would like to thank the staff for making me always feel very welcome in their hostal, and if my paths are to change and I make it back to Leon, La Tortuga Booluda will always be my number 1 choice for accomodation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo