“A great place to come back to again...and again..and again”

Hostal La Tortuga Booluda
Ranked #1 of 62 Specialty Lodging in Leon
Reviewed September 30, 2011

Ah Tortuga Booluda, I have many fond memories of my time at Tortuga. A really good hostel. After 18 months of travel throughout south and central America, it ranked in my top 3 places to stay and was my favourite place to come back to. A nice kitchen, comfortable beds, clean dorms, tasty pancakes, fruit trees, quality local coffee (free), pool table, honesty policy, excellent book exchange and most importantly, friendly local staff in the form of Carlito, Santos and Carolina who helped me no end with my Spanish. If going to Leon, I recommend staying at Tortuga - I think you wont regret it and even Olin is not such a bad sort if he happens to be around. Enjoy it and climb some of the volcanoes. I certainly did.

Room Tip: Room 8 with its balcony, hammock and tree views..thats the one to get
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Hostal La Tortuga Booluda

Reviewed September 18, 2011

I stayed at this hostal for the first time this week, and would thoroughly recommend it.

The hostal staff are extremely friendly and welcoming, and really put great attention into friendliness and customer service, giving the place a very nice homely feel, something which a lot of other hostals tend to fail on.

The hostal faciities are also great. The rooms and dorms are simple but very nice, The lounge area is communal and friendly, with sofas, hammock, pool table and a self-service bar.

The hostal kitchen is about the best I have seen in any hostal. It is big, fully equipped, and ideal for cooking. There is also a communal dining table, which makes for a great way of sitting down to eat and meeting people in the hostal.

The hostal also provides a pancake breakfast included in the price.

Another point I think really worth mentioning is the fact that the hostal does not close down at night. I have stayed in hostals before where past 10pm or 11pm, you either have to be in your room or out somewhere, but they certainly don't want you making a noise in communal areas. La Tortuga, however, allows guests to stay sitting and reading, having a few quiet drinks, playing some Pool for as long as you like.

All of these factors contribute to making La Tortuga Boluda a very hospitable, friendly, relaxing, sociable, and enjoyable place to be, and as such, I would very much recommend it very much as my top spot in Leon.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Simon_M_Walters
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Definitely a cool place to make your base in Leon if you're okay with the backpacker scene. More of a hostel than a hotel in my opinion, although we did get a private room.

Our mattress could have been better, but for the price we paid, I'm not sure how much better I could have expected.

The people who work there are really nice and gave us some pretty good advice for places to go and eat. Overall, I was really happy with our stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2011

On arrival we were checked in by the very friendly Santos who made an effort to learn our names immediately. There was no hesitation in thoroughly showing us around everything the hostel had to offer and explaining that there was free coffee and free pancakes on offer between 7:30am & 11am (providing you make them yourself!)

The hostel had the cleanest smelling sheets I've ever smelt especially in a hostel, and the whole place was kept exceptionally clean.

In summary the welcoming staff know your names and chat to you throughout your stay, they make every effort to help with your enquiries and make your stay comfortable, the amenities are everything you would expect from a hostel but are clean and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hostel as a great place to stay in a great city.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We stayed here for a couple nights in May, and enjoyed the very mellow music and relaxed common areas of this Hostel. The prices we were given during low season did not match those given in prior reviews or guidebooks, and were actually quite expensive by Nicaraguan standards.

That being said, the self-service bar, helpful staff, relaxed environment, and security definitely made our stay enjoyable. Leon is hot, so its nice to have a place to relax in the shade!

Room Tip: Upstairs room 8 with private balcony looks chill!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We stayed in room 8, which has it's own private bathroom and balcony with hammock along with air con. The staff are very friendly and the rooms very clean. If you wish to shower during the day you may have to get used to possible bucket showers which are surprisingly refreshing! The room sleeps 4 (double bed and bunk bed). You have free wifi and access to a computer if not travelling with lapt / iPad. Free coffee all day and free, make your own, pancakes for breakfast (though we always ate out to experience the local cuisine). Fr someone who isn't used to the hostel life I was pleasantly surprised with the tortuga booluda and would recommend it to anyone

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Quiet and helpful with lots of info for backpackers. Take a drink then put a tally by your name. I hope this honour system continues to work. Free breakfast and wifi so enjoy Leon.

• Stayed: March 2011