“Great view of the park”

Pictured Rocks Cruises
Ranked #1 of 7 Tours in Munising
More attraction details
Owner description: Come aboard Pictured Rocks Cruises, the only boat cruise touring the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Pictured Rocks Cruises, Inc. is the only authorized concessionaire of the National Park Service to provide interpretive programming on cruises of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. Pictured Rocks Cruises has been guiding the public to view the magnificent Pictured Rocks for over 50 years.“The Only Official Boat Cruise of Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore”
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

During the recent national park shutdown with access to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore shutdown this is one of the only ways to get access to viewing the park. As they are in the lake and not in the park they can continue their boat tours had a great time with friends this is the only time I've ever seen Castle Rock without people which made for a great photograph.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,908)

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Tickets should be purchased a head of time to ensure you get your preferred departure. If the weather is threatening, be sure to check on departure time. If your departure time needs to be cancelled and you cannot reschedule, a refund will be issued. Seats are not assigned and ticketholders start lining up an hour before departure. Seating can be tight when cruise is sold out. Scenery and descriptive narrative pass the time as you're clicking your camera, trying not to mlss anything.

1  Thank TINA1943
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We took the 1:30 boat tour as part of a circle Superior trip. It was a nice warm, sunny day. Would estimate the trip was 80 % full. Seats are first come, first serve, and the line to board ship started forming about an hour before the scheduled boarding time. So we were well back in line and forced to sit inside, down below. Turns out this was good because it was much cooler and we noticied many people from up top had come down below by the end of the trip, probably due to the sun. The tour host was excellent and give a lot of interesting information about Pictured Rocks as well as a few jokes. The tour is well worth the money. Recommend to get in line early if you want an upper deck outdoor seat. Dress warm as temperature on the lake is cooler than on land.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

First off, if you're into interesting natural landscapes then the Rocks are worth seeing, but you may have to put up with more than you really wanted in a sight seeing trip.

We planned a little poorly and missed the evening cruise which is the best light conditions, so we did the 10 am cruise. Still very pretty and as we had perfect weather, flat calm and a clear blue fall sky, you have to take it as it comes.

So my review of the "Rocks" or rather "cliffs" is that yip, really nice. Next time I'll rent a kayak!

So what about the cruise part, well there are a number of issues. Firstly, there are limited seats that have the best views, a given I guess, so be prepared to have someone in line at least 30 to 40 minutes early. Maybe longer in peak season.

Next, it's over 3 hours long and no concessions on board. Pack you're own snacks and drink.

Next, and this is a personal view point and will change with whoever is running the cruise, is that we did not appreciate the constant and appallingly bad jokes of the captain's commentary. He's never going to be a standup comic so please stop practicing in an affected accent on the passengers. Speak in a normal voice, and do more research on the geology/ history of the place to pad out the 3 plus hours on board... better still shut up and let us enjoy the peaceful natural beauty.

Next, the upper deck of the boat we were on had been designed so that the front cowling offered maximum protection to the passengers but allowed clear views. When seated you can see over it, for an average height adult. Then someone mounted the PA speakers right on top of that, making them right in line of sight. We were constantly looked around them to get a clear view. Not only that, the commentary was truly, "in your face" when you're seated up front. A number of times I wanted to pull the wires, it was so nice when the commentary stopped for while.

So you spend 40 or so minutes getting out to the Rocks and enjoy the views for a while longer etc and think right, now some quiet time to soak in the scenery on the trip back. Wrong!

Ranger "Bob" now has his 40 minutes to regale you with a complete rundown of the top sights and places to visit while in the UP! Bob, stop take a breath! I'm now getting a headache from the no stop noise coming at me from that box mounted in the center of my vision!

Ranger "Bob" then goes into a full account of the wreak of Edmond Fitzgerald, which in despite of myself I found myself following along with, up until the point where he recited the entire lyrics of the song "Wreak of the Edmond Fitzgerald" (thankfully "Bob" did not sing") then a moment of silence while "Bob" rang a bell in remembrance of all those sailors lost on the Great Lakes. I'm a little disappointed that he did not have a cannon mounted on the boat and do a 21 gun salute, that would have been fun! Like I said, it's more than you might have wanted in a scenic boat trip. How about they replace "Bob" with an "Headphone" only system?

Oh.... I almost forgot, "Bob" also walked to deck asking where people were from and who had a birthday! Everyone sing!... Happy birthday...." OMG!!!! Can I walk the plank now, please!!!!

My apologies to Ranger "Bob", I know you're very connected to the Lake and all it has to offer but I'm not your target audience, sorry. You sounded like a wonderful guy who would do great on the over 65's cruise. I would have enjoyed talking to you personally at the bar of a local hotel.

So it's a very pretty vista that was badly marred for my wife and I by the intrusive "cruise" experience. We are planning on another Fall trip next year, but will arrange our own boat so we can experience the beautiful sights and silence!

4  Thank pxtaylor
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The pictured rocks were beautiful and the water changed colors different shades of blue-reminded me of the Caribbean! Loved it. I highly recommend getting there about an hour BEFORE you want to go and getting in line right away on the dock-you are going to want to sit on top for this. We originially sat downstairs and I ended up going outside and standing on the stairway (naughty I know, but completely diffferent experience and WAY better pictures)