“Absolute Peace”
Review of Terrace Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Munising
Terrace Motel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Munising
Livonia, Michigan
“Absolute Peace”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This was one of the most relaxing places my husband and I have ever stayed. Peaceful?! Our room was immaculate and cozy. The owner was very warm and welcoming and gave us all kinds of info about the town as we checked in. We couldn't hear ANY of our neighbors...it was like the place was sound-proofed. I would recommend this lovely little motel to any one who visits Munising.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I love old "mom&pop" type hotels as long as they are clean and safe. The Terrace fits that great! It was me, my wife and 2 kids. I made a reservation a week before and when I arrived Larry (the owner) greeted me with a handshake and a smile! I can't wait to stay here again!

Room Tip: If you need to know something about the area just ask Larry.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Bryan M
Dowagiac, Michigan
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This was one of those fortuitous circumstances that I love when travelling. We had planned on staying in Marquette for the weekend, but couldn't find any availability on line, so changed our plans to Munising and hoped to find something without reservations. We tried two other places on 28 east of town, but both were full. As we can into Munising, we saw the Terrace sign and since it was off the main path, we decided to see if they had a room available. The exterior of the one-story complex is unassuming, but very clean. There are some nice planters, which I'm sure are blooming in the summer. I went into the office and the owner was helping two young couples who had reservations. I told him we didn't have one, and he said that fortunately, a large group of photographers had left a day early, so he had a couple of rooms for the nigh.

He then pulled out the local map of Munising and proceeded to give a "three-for-one" description of the local restaurants, sights, boat launch areas--all of the things that a visitor to a community would like to know. Very rarely in the states have I experienced the care that he took with his customers, without specific questions about local places of interest. I left the office with a key, a map, and a 10% off guarantee at a local non-chain restaurant.

This is definitely an older motel (non-chain) but when we opened the door, I was charmed by the room. Woodsy decor and exceptionally clean (like everyone else comments). Very north forest. Two full-size beds and this room had a little sitting area with a futon, chair and coffee table. It would be very suitable for an extended stay for a family. Comfy pillows. Either cable or satellite tv. The shower looked like it had recently been redone so no complaints there. No complimentary shampoo, but we always have plenty in our kit bag.

All in all, an excellent night's sleep, off the main high way and very quiet neighborhood. This was not our first time in Munising and I'm sorry I hadn't found Terrace before. Would definitely stay her again.

Room Tip: #5 is perfect for families--two full beds, plus a futon.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DianeBC
New Jersey
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I selected this property for my first visit to Munising and Lake Superior. The property lived up to the Tripadvisor reviews I relied upon. The location is perfect for a short stroll to downtown dining and activities. The Motel does not offer an immediate water view but we planned to be so active we did not intend to linger in our room in any event.

We reserved a two bedroom unit and it was clean and well maintained. The price was right and, as the web ad boasts, left money in my pocket to spend in town. Please note I based my rating on value for price paid, not for luxurious accommodations.

Everything good you read about the proprietor, Larry, is on the money. He was prompt with email and telephone responses and was filled with good humor and wit. A perfect host and took in good stride my early morning coffee quest that caught him unawares.

I can understand one reviewer's consternation about their experience with noise levels when they were there. I could hear a lonely dachshaund lament its owners' absence next door for a few minutes. Keep in mind that this is a wooden structure, not cement block If you are sensitive to noise or plan to whoop it up while you are in residence, a little tolerance and respect for others goes a long way.

All I can say to the reviewer who complained about noise is that if one is sensitive to high sound levels, bring earplugs or, perhaps, if neighbors are chatting it up, join them for a cold one then ask them to keep it down when you turn in. I found everyone, tourists and townies alike, so lovely and friendly that I bet a simple request for quiet time would be respected and given.

This is a beautiful area of the country. Go and enjoy it. Take the boat ride. Even the most jaded tourist will be astonished at the natural wonder of the painted cliffs and impressed with the park rangers' narration. Gaze at waterfalls. Stay at the Terrace and soak in the hot tub with a cold one and cool neighbors. You won't regret it and will always remember your stay.

Room Tip: Just ask the proprietor, Larry. He won't steer you wrong.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 1, 2012

A great way to describe this basic motel off the main highway. My husband and I had never been to Munising before and despite some rainy weather the 4 days we were there, we enjoyed the quiet respite we found at the Terrace. For a very reasonable price the room was clean and very comfortable. As others have said Larry was very friendly and helpful and always available to give us assistance with the seemingly endless questions we had about the area. We would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy G
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Our room was clean and comfortable and very, very inexpensive (3 guys stayed 3 nights for a total of $240). Great for a guys get away. The showers could use a little work but we managed. As everyone else says, our host was fantastic and very helpful and knowledgeable about local attrractions.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 19 which is "the big room" and it was very comfortable for 3 men. On th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Upper Peninsula, Michigan
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

The Terrace Motel was a short stopover for us as we passed through the area. We chose it based on other positive Tripadvisor reviews, and I'm so glad we did. The price fit our budget for a quick overnight stay; the exterior and grounds are very well maintained with good curb appeal. Our room was very clean, no extra amenities. The bathroom was updated with a nice corner shower and good water pressure. The sink/mirror area had good lighting for putting on makeup, or for shaving. No phone in the room, but not a big deal because we have a cell phone. Free wireless, which was a nice bonus, considering the retro-ness of the motel. Larry, our host, is a warm and welcoming person, with great personality. We enjoyed visiting with him, and it was obvious to us that he enjoys what he does and takes pride in his establishment. He made us feel very welcome. I would imagine the Terrace Motel is indicative of the fine community that surrounds it!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Munising
Holiday Inn Express Munising -  Lakeview
North Star Hotel – Pictured Rocks
Alger Falls Motel
Alger Falls Motel
#8 of 11 in Munising

Been to Terrace Motel? Share your experiences!