“High-priced, but worth it”

Holiday Inn Express Munising - Lakeview
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Munising
Reviewed June 17, 2013

In summer, this Holiday Inn Express's prices are easily twice as much as some of the mom-and-pop places that also feature lake views. But it's worth it. We had a great view of Lake Superior, a clean and comfortable room, and good complimentary breakfast. It was very pleasant to sit out on our balcony and enjoy cocktails and morning coffee. We also enjoyed the pool and spa, which we had to ourselves one afternoon. The front-desk staff is friendly and helpful. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Spring for a lakeview room. The view is worth the price.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Upnorthdeborah
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Munising - Lakeview

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Discovered this place about a year ago by accident -- very glad I did. If I didn't live 12 hours away I would be here a lot more often.
I'm always looking for quiet room with a view and a balcony. This is it. I always ask for the top floor, lakeview. I like it here because it is a great place just to get away from it all. Munising is not for the traveler who is looking for fancy restaurants and trendy hot spots...which I'm not.
Love to keep the sliding glass door open at night -- I'm female and often travel alone so that's one reason I always ask for an upper floor, so I can keep the balcony door open. I didn't encounter the issues some other commenters had with the HVAC -- the first thing I did was switch everything off everything and let the fresh air in. I don't care how clean (or upscale) a hotel is -- there's always some dust from vents.
The rooms aren't fancy but they are large and comfortable and clean. Things are a little worn around the edges (the carpet in my room could have used a steam cleaning, I think) but that is the only thing I can find wrong with this place. For what it is worth, there is a good cable TV channel lineup, but I spent most of my time just relaxing on the balcony with a book or my laptop, and going on a Pictured Rocks cruise.
I loved literally watching the fog roll in after a perfect day last week. At about 2 a.m. I woke up and went out on the balcony. The fog had lifted and the night sky was clear as a bell and strewn with stars.
Like I said, I love this place, and will be back as often as possible.
And I, too, wish we could keep it a secret. :-)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Maria S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Munising - Lakeview, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear roadtrip6666,

Thank you so much for sharing such wonderful comments about your experiences here at the Holiday Inn Express Lakeview. I am so glad to hear you are able to relax and enjoy the wonderful views from your balcony when you visit our property in Munising. It is indeed a small town with lots to do if your looking for boat tours, picturesque views of the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, waterfalls, beaches, hiking trails, or stay in to enjoy our new high definition channel lineup, pool an hot tub, or maybe even catch the stars or northern lights right from your room! Hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Lets keep this our secret. This is one of the best Holiday Inn Express locations I have ever seen. No view of a big box store parking lot here, just a beautiful view of Munising Bay on one side. Even the view on the other side of the buildings is pretty nice. Unfortunately for us, the bay was fogged in most of the evening of our stay. The rest of the hotel amenities and the room were clean, comfortable and what we have come to rely on from this chain. Nice place to stay.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Maria S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Munising - Lakeview, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear Tomatraveler,

Thank you so much, it is very pleasing to hear that you consider us one of the best. We strive to provide superior service and accommodations so that guests such as yourself can rely on our family of brands throughout the world. You never know what kind of weather Lake Superior will bring, I hope you are able to make back soon to enjoy the spectacular view we offer here without the foggy conditions!

Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights, its a little outside town, but looking at the other hotels they all seem to be. Nothing in walking distance, but I can cope with that for the views. The walls seem too be very thin and you could hear people talking next door, and also hear heavy footed people upstairs.
Whilst we were there they started building a bigger patio area for breakfast, which will be very pleasant during the summer months.
Pay the extra for the lake views, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank leaphill
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Looking out at Lake Superior from my balcony, hearing the birds nearby, and enjoying the amenities made this a special place. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more attentive. The hot tub and pool were a welcome joy on a chilly May evening. My room was clean and comfortable. The walls are a tad thin, but the hvac unit helps with that. It was a little noisy. And that is really the chief reason for the 4 instead of 5. I loved the location. Such a great view. Not too far from town and the docks. I would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We spent a night there on way to Northern Michigan University Commencement in Marquette in early May. It was an unseasonably cold day/evening but this Holiday Inn Express is so warm and comfortable, it did not matter. Staff were very friendly and engaged in their work. Our "godson" enjoyed the indoor pool area and kept commenting at it's size. We have stayed in MUCH larger hotels where the pool area was half the size. The breakfast was excellent and certainly addresses every possible diet and taste. The views are phenomenal, stunning even on the dark day we were there. I would give the property a five but only negative was that we could hear people above us. We know both rooms on either side were occupied but we did not hear anything...
the noise issue is far from being truly troublesome but think needs to be mentioned. We look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during Canada victoria day long weekend. It is a very beautiful, quiet and peaceful hotel. The staff is very friendly, hotel is very beautiful and clean. Breakfast is very good with a lake view. From the balcony of the hotel room, I saw the most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen, it was breaktaking, amazing and magnificent.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Munising
Boarders Inn and Suites by Cobblestone Munising
Pictured Rocks Inn & Suites
Superior Motel & Suites
Superior Motel & Suites
#2 of 4 in Munising

Been to Holiday Inn Express Munising - Lakeview? Share your experiences!