“Good for the $$”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Munising
Hillcrest Motel and Cabins
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Munising
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We only stayed one night, but the place was immaculantly CLEAN ! cleaner than most major chains we've stayed at, there's nothing fancy about it, but we had good service and were pleased with the price of the room for an overnight stay !

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 49,285

Reviewed September 20, 2011

Although we got an unbelievable rate, it did not make up for what we considered to be an unclean and unsafe room. We had no working smoke detector, no phone in room (everybody has a cell phone these days, give that a pass) and no deadbolt OR safety chain on door. The room was barely passable as clean. $100 would go a LONG way in painting and fixing up this room. It is quite loud with highway traffic also. Would I stay again even with a great rate? No, there are other motels in the area that are nicer for the same money.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2011

OK, so this is not a fancy place. It doesn't pretend to be. It is an older roadside motel and nothing more. I was apprehensive about what the room would be like based on the price. I was pleasantly surprised. The room seems dark because much of it still has dark wood paneling on the walls. It is a large room. It has been well maintained and the room was extremely clean. I don't care as much about new furniture and fluffy towels as I do having a clean room. This one met that expectation. The entire place is quite dated but everything worked properly. The bathroom vinyl is something to behold. It must be from the 50's or 60's. Sure, I wouldn't put it in my house, but I could certainly live with it for 24 hours without complaint.
We had only 2 small issues. First, they do not have AC. We slept with the windows open all night so we heard noise from the road and the parking lot. The second issue was the noise from the neighbor's TV which was on all night. Neither of these things would keep me from returning in the future.
If you just want place to sleep and shower for a low price, this could be the place for you.
I would rather put the money we saved into a nice dinner or the Pictured Rocks boat cruise which was great fun.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank guavagirlKW
Reviewed August 22, 2011

This place is a dump!!! Our room was obviously 2 old rooms made into 1, so what would now be considered the kitchen area was at one time a bathroom with huge holes in the floor from where the toilet and shower once were....70's decor and gold linoleum....its absoulutely gross!!! Our neighbors were outside in their underwear drinking beer in the parking lot, shows you what kind of clientele they attract!!! I was hesitant the second we drove up, but becauswe we were tired I thought I'd give it a chance...dead wrong once we saw the inside I realized we should have never even checked in but luckily it was inexpensive so we weren't out much and we left...I'd rather sleep in my car than in that dump!!

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank marcofan89
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Very no frills, but clean and friendly. Loved that the room had a small refrigerator. Beds were pretty old and not so comfortable. Could use a fan or something in the room. The room was pretty stuffy and there was a lot of noise on the parking lot (it was the firefighters competition weekend, so we learned), so we had to close the front window while they were partying on the lot pretty late into the night. But no major complaints.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ahimsa2u
Reviewed May 28, 2010

I've stayed at this motel many times (and the cabins) and never had any issues. Even back when the previous owner ran the place before his passing. The rooms have always been clean and in order. For a budget motel you can't beat it. It's convenient to every attraction in the area. I mean lets face it, if your going to that area (Munising, along lake Superior) you are there to enjoy the scenery, outdoors, and the other amenities of that area, not spend your time at a hotel with a pool and rec. room. This is a very nice and affordable place.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank jj2me
Reviewed August 31, 2009

We booked a room with two double beds for $45. For budget travel, we found this motel to be excellent value. The room was clean,the beds were good, we had a great internet connection, cable television, a fridge and microwave and good hot water. No, there is no pool. and the furniture didn't match, but nonetheless, you couldn't beat the price. The motor inn is just east of Munising right on the highway, near the national forest and national lakeshore. Good value lodging in the Upper Peninsula is hard to come by (rooms there often tend to be overpriced, we found), so we re very happy to be able to recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank BronxMom2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Munising
Boarders Inn and Suites by Cobblestone Munising
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Munising
Sunset Motel on the Bay
Sunset Motel on the Bay
#3 of 11 in Munising

Been to Hillcrest Motel and Cabins? Share your experiences!