“Breathtaking”

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
Ranked #1 of 40 things to do in Munising
More attraction details
Fee: No
Owner description: Park located on the shoreline of Lake Superior encompassing cliffs, dunes, waterfalls and lakes.
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore are breathtaking! When you get on the boat in Munising it is only a short ride to the site. You can also drive to the site and actually clime onto the rocks,(at least you could when I lived in AuTrain many years ago!). The view is spectacular as you look out over the lake. While you are there do not miss the beautiful water falls in and around Munising. There are many to see and each one seems more beautiful than the last!! ENJOY!!

2  Thank trsandsas
Write a ReviewReviews (1,608)

Reviewed November 4, 2012

We were on a great road trip on the Lake Michigan Circle Tour and decided to spend a few days in the UP. We drove through Marquette to SR 28 – Lake Superior Scenic Drive to Munising. We had a very fun day at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. We hiked some great trails and saw terrific sites, including;
• Sand Point Marsh Trail – a very nice ½ mile trail
• Lake Shore Trail – a nice .8 mile walk, but does not go by the lake.
• Munising Falls – a ¼ mile walk that offers 3 viewing areas
• Miners Falls Trail – the trail is 1.2 miles with a 50-foot drop. Very scenic
• Miner’s Castle – three overlook views. Lake Superior, Grand Island, and the Cliff’s.
• Miner’s Beach – a short walk to pristine sand and water. It looks like a Tropical Beach
• Log Slide – another short walk to a scenic overlook
• Grand Sable Lake – we stopped for a picnic lunch here, overlooking a beautiful lake
• Sable Falls – ½ mile walk to 3 levels to view the falls. The trail follows the stream to the beach and Lake Superior – Breathtaking!
Another amazing natural park that Michigan has to offer. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to really enjoy this part of the UP.

9  Thank jim521r
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I did the 44mi Pictured Rocks shoreline hike a few years ago with a good friend in mid-October. We did it in 4 days and I had an easy time with the hike in that time (flat terrian, some sand but not bad), but my friend didn't fair so well, she probably could've used an extra day. The fall colors along superior were beyond gorgeous at that time. The forests were a variety of reds, yellows, and oranges. The trail is ripe with breathtaking vistas over Lake Superior, and from the cliffs you can see deep down into the crystal blue waters of the lake. It made the cold nights so worth it. The days were chilly but not intolerable since we were constantly moving and had our packs to carry. We parked our car at one end of the trail and used the bus route to get us to the other side and then hiked back to our car (there was a cost associate with this service, and I think it was the city operating the bus not the park system). At this time of year you must book your bus trip in advance and I would highly recommend calling and discussing the route info with a park ranger, since it is different during the fall. You can also discuss your hiking route, since when you get your backcountry permit you must tell them which sites you will be staying at. A few even have pit toilets - also a bathroom note: anywhere there is a parking lot for the drive-in version of seeing Pictured Rocks, there is a pit toilet at least, so even if there isn't a toilet at your site, check your map to see how far you are from a parking lot. Then hold it :-D

1  Thank Rachel L
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This was our first visit to the UP and I was blown away by how pretty the lakeshore was. The water was crystal clear and the cliffs were beautiful. We did a cruise along the cliffs and hiked down to Miners Beach which was a great hike. I wish we had had more time to explore the rest of the lakeshore, there is so much more to see, we only scratched the (beautiful) surface.

1  Thank LisaDee_Virginia
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I've been many places in the world, and my home state of MI ranks near the top of the most beautiful! The entire lakeshore is full of beautiful sights. I highly recommend! We camped in the Munising area with our two kids and my parents. Wonderful family trip!

1  Thank Kristy P