“This is worth seeing.”

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
Ranked #1 of 36 things to do in Munising
More attraction details
Fee: No
Owner description: Park located on the shoreline of Lake Superior encompassing cliffs, dunes, waterfalls and lakes.
Holly, MI
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“This is worth seeing.”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Have seen this by kayak many years ago and this time by the boat tour with our kids. It really doesn't disappoint. The kayak was more intimate but with the boat trip we could see the whole 20 some miles of it. The kids enjoyed trying to pick out the shapes made by the rocks. We had great weather but I bet if Lake Superior is "acting up" it would be different. There are also great places to view this from land with overlooks and a hiking trail that runs the length of the whole thing. It's a Michigan treasure.

Visited August 2011

• Korean first
Michigan
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Experience of a Lifetime”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My husband and I visited Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and had a wonderful time. We kayaked along the coast of Lake Superior with a tour guide (see paddlingmichigan.com) and had beautiful views of Pictured Rocks on Lake Superior. Our favorite hike while visiting the U.P. was within the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Park, check out the Chapel Falls and Chapel Rock loop hike (6.2 miles). Beautiful views of Chapel Falls, Chapel Rock (which you can literally touch, walk right up to, and see pristine views of Lake Superior), and nature. A shorter hike is the trail to Miner's Castle Rock which is also a beautiful site. Also drive to and take the short walk to Miner's Falls. Best of all, there is no entrance fee to the park! Take the time to see the beautiful waterfalls and Pictured Rocks on your visit to Michigan's Upper Peninsula, you will not be disappointed!

1 Thank MemberP
Ontario, Canada
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Gorgeous Lake Superior Shoreline -- don't miss if in Michigan's UP”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Absolutely beautiful scenery.....from waterfalls, to sand dunes, to rock formations.....a nature-lover's paradise! We started at the Visitor Center, then started with Munising Falls which were really nice. Then we went to Miners Falls, Miners Beach and Miners Castle Overlook (don't miss these). In the pm, we did the Pictured Rocks Boat Cruise which gives another great view of Miners Castle. The next day, we visited Sable Falls. Although unmarked, there is a path to Sable Beach which was beautiful. Then we visited the Log Slide Overlook which shows great views of the Light House to your left and Grand Marais to your right. There's a few areas we didn't get to like Chapel Falls/Rock....just didn't have enough time...maybe next visit.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Wonderful Camping & Hiking Getaway”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed in Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore for four days in July, and it was beautiful. Here are some highlights:

Twelvemile Beach Campground ($16/night) : we were lucky to get a spot at 6am on a Wednesday morning just as someone else was packing up. Our campsite was right along the lake, with a little hiking trail down to the beach. We could hear the waves crashing all night long, and the beach was mostly secluded. There is a water pump & vault bathrooms, and a full time camp host that can answer questions. If you need firewood, ask him for directions to this old guy's place - $4 for a huge pile of wood! The stable flies were pretty bad, so we wore long pants most of the time. Apparently if you sit on the top of the picnic table you're relatively safe since they don't fly that high up. If you can't stand the flies, Hurricane River Campground is off the beach and fly-free. No cell service here (only in Munising & Grand Marais).

Munising: we stopped at the Dogpatch for dinner, and maybe it was just us but we got some not-so-friendly stares from the locals. The boat tour was $35 a ticket, but worth it - make reservations for the sunset tour, sit on the top right, and bring layers. Get in line early. They sell beverages & snacks during the 2 1/2 hour trip. There's a hardware store in town if you forgot the 5 gallon pails like we did. There's wifi at the Falling Rocks Cafe.

Grand Marais: get the beer sampler at the Lake Superior Brewing Company. No air conditioning and it was stifling. Great pizza, though. The Sportsman's restaurant has wifi, and is next to the Pickle Barrel house.

Pictured Rocks: go to Miner's Castle overlook, walk the 3 mile Au Sable lighthouse trail that starts at Lower Hurricane, and then drive to the Log Slide for nice views of Grand Sable Dunes. My boyfriend and I got engaged near the 2nd & 3rd shipwrecks on the Au Sable Trail. :D Road signs for Twelvemile and Hurricane River can be a little hard to spot, and the drive between Munising & the campgrounds can get kinda long. There's no biking on the trails...only on H58 or Seney Wildlife Refuge (also, fishing here)...or near Munising. 3-4 days camping here is enough to see everything & do some hiking.

10 Thank nedgar08
St. Cloud, MN
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“the most beautiful place on Earth!”
Reviewed July 17, 2011

My family of 4 headed up to the UP for a short yet wonderful, family vacation. Our first stop was Munising to do the boat tour. Absolutely amazing and worth the price. I agree with other reviews, dress in layers for the ever-changing weather. And if you can, get a top-side right side seat for the tour.

After that we had a bite to eat in town and headed out to see some waterfalls. We only went to Munising & Miner's, but enjoyed every minute of it. Take the hike up to Miner's Castle for an awesome view of the lake. I'm trying to remember if Miner's was the place where there were bathrooms and a small gift shop. Anyway...I asked about M-58 and if it was tough to cross over to Grand Marais and how long it would take, or if it would be better to drive down to the better highway and come back. Lucky I asked.....it's now PAVED!!!!! Saved a ton of miles and time off our trip and was a terrific road to travel on. Maps haven't been updated, sadly, because I think more people would enjoy the back-country up here more if they only knew just how accessible it has become.

We traveled over M-58 to the east and went to the Log Slide and did the 3 mile round trip to Au Sable lighthouse. Log Slide.....this thing is amazing!!! You park and walk an easy trail to the MOST spectacular view EVER!!!! Granted, you have to walk down a bit of a small sand dune to get to the lookout point, but this is very easy. The challenge comes in going down the 500 ft. sand dune drop to the lake if you are feeling up to it.Keep in mind, 300 ft. of this drop is near vertical. The kids wanted to do it, so off we went. It's a thrill...scary, yet so dang pretty! Took about 1-2 min. to get down and the hubby & I made it back up in 14. The kids made it back up in 9 min. and 12 min. If you are a healthy person in good shape, it's worth it.

We trekked on and played around on the sand dunes, amazing! We didn't stop at the visitor's center to take that trail, instead we parked at a roadside lot and entered that way. We didn't get close to the lake doing this, so I kinda wished we would have taken the trail the V.C. But it was fun anyway.

The 3 mile round trip trail from Hurricane campground to the lighthouse is very easy. When you first start out, there's a sign saying "shipwreck". Take that little trail down to the water and sure enough, there's an old wooden "ship". It's weathered away and kind of looks like a dock. We had seen a ranger earlier and I was glad she let us know that the ships aren't intact and many people mistake them for docks nowadays. Quite a sight. We headed back up and took the service road all the way down to the next sign marking the shipwrecks. Travel down the stairs and hiked our way to the right and saw 2 or 3 more shipwrecks. I saw 2 or 3 because I'm not sure if the last one we saw was one ship broken in half, or if it was indeed a separate ship. Very cool to see though. We hiked back up and I'm sure we were close to the lighthouse, but the kids were ready to head out, so we never saw it. That's okay though, it was a great walk...nice and flat. And it was probably a good thing to do after climbing back up that Log Slide. I'm happy to report that I wasn't sore the next day. :)

We stayed in Grand Marais, which is a super cute little town.

I hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did!!!

8 Thank earnhardt8carfan