“Nice Surprise”
Review of Alger Falls Motel

Alger Falls Motel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Munising
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed here one night in August of 2013. The price was very fair. Upon arrival, we were initially not impressed although the exterior was clean. Upon entering the room we were pleasantly surprised. First of all, we arrived an hour and a half early and the hotel manager hurriedly finished the room so we could check in. When we entered the room we were very pleased with the cleanliness and extras that were present. The furniture was slightly dated but, the bathroom was newly renovated, the fairly large flat screen tv was a plus and the frig and microwave were awesome. The bed was only a double which was a disappointment but, overall a nice pleasant stay. Being on the main highway I expected much more road noise but, with the door and windows closed it was hardly noticeable. I would stay here again.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Husband and I stayed here in '09, based on good TripAdvisor ratings, and I remember being pleased. On my second stay, August 2013, I was not so impressed.

The young desk clerk was efficient, though not particularly friendly.

The grounds were generally neat, but there were a lot of cigarette butts and some trash on the lawn and lot. Our room was generally clean, unless you peeked behind furniture, etc., then there was a lot of dust and hair. Operators need to understand that these days EVERYONE is going to look behind furniture for outlets for various electronic devices, so you have to clean back there too!

There were a lot of signs all over the room demanding that we not ruin the accommodations with our snowmobiling equipment.

The room did have a fridge, microwave, and hairdryer. No in-room coffee.

Overall, seemed kind of pricey for a place to sleep but not really enjoy yourself or want to spend any time.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank StreamGrl
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We were hoping for a little better than you get here. No in room coffee, only coffee in the office that was so weak we couldn't drink it. The room was small but clean and had a good bed. I would not consider staying here again unless the price was around fifty dollars!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

What I look for in a room is friendliness, cleanliness, value and convenience. I've stayed in a lot of motels, and this cute little spot managed to impress me on all of those points. If you're reading the other reviews and you're worried about staying here, don't be. This is a sound choice with great value. The furniture is newer and kept in good repair. The bedroom was immaculate and the bed was wonderfully soft. I slept like a rock. The bathroom was clean and well-stocked with the necessities. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful.They went out of their way accommodate our late schedule and make us feel welcome in Munising. They gave us great recommendations about places to visit and food to eat. I would love to stay here again on my next visit to the UP, and I would recommend this place to my friends.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I've been wanting to visit Munising for sometime now and was pleasantly surprise by how nice this motel was despite the other reviews. The staff was very attentive to all our needs. Complaints regarding the traffic noise is exaggerated. The motel is located next to the highway but that was no surprise as we also choose it due to its location. It was clean and affordable. Will defiantly stay there again

• Stayed: July 2013
afmotel, Owner at Alger Falls Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience. We really appreciate it! Hope to see you again!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

The owners are very pleasant. The rooms need help. I had to ask for a blow dryer and a coffee pot. I think these are basics today and should be automatically included in every room. The lamp next to the bed did not work. The windows opened, which I liked. However, the noise from the trucks and traffic was very loud. There wasn't adequate room to put our suitcases. All in all, I would not stay here again. I was surprised by the trip advisor rating. Trip Advisor gave them a pretty good rating. This is the 1st time I have found I disagree.

Room Tip: Good luck.....
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Never again. We did not get any sleep because the rooms sit so close to the highway and the noise of the highway kept us up ALL night. We tried to turn on the fan and have that muffle out the noise, but the fan would not stay on constistently-it was rigged with thermostat. When I spoke with the management about this all I got was, "I've never heard that before." What a bunch of hogwash. Our window was shut completely and also was the door. She told me they never had that complaint before. IMPOSSIBLE! If you are looking for a good night's rest-STAY AWAY from the Alger Falls Motel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jim V
afmotel, Owner at Alger Falls Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

I told the customer that I have had people mention the road noise, but once the door and window were closed they couldn't hear it. The room they were in was on the end, closest to the road. The heater units do go on and off with the temperature but only if you have them set to cool or heat. There is a fan only setting as well which will keep the fan running all night. The customer also complained about the rate saying it said different on the internet (which he admitted he was wrong about). He did not have any complaints about the room, just the road noise.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Munising
Holiday Inn Express Munising -  Lakeview
White Pine Lodge
White Pine Lodge
#2 of 2 in Christmas
Beach Inn Motel on Munising Bay

Been to Alger Falls Motel? Share your experiences!