“Good Value”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Munising
Malvern, Arkansas
“Good Value”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

An older motel that is a good value. Room was clean, bed was fine, staff was friendly, location OK, price was good. I really like parking right out front of door and not having to empty vehicle when on an extended trip as we were.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Fishers, IN
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I first stayed at this motel in 2009 and enjoyed my stay, so I was anxious to return three years later. So many improvements! The rooms have been redecorated and painted - no more paneling - much brighter. Hair dryer in the bathroom - always a plus. Had a rather inauspicious start, as the power was out due to a storm in the area. Evidently a limb had fallen on the wire, but the power company didn't know that right away - so the power didn't come back on until 10pm. Nothing that the motel could do about that!! Everyone I met in the office was friendly and helpful. My room was comfortable and clean. New TV was very nice. I chose this motel again because of its location. Most everywhere in the UP is an easy day trip from Munising. I did notice the traffic sounds from M-28, but only when I left the window open. Once closed, no noise. I stayed for six nights and will most definitely come back the next time I travel to the UP!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
St. Joseph, MI
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I know that is a weird way to start a review, but it made so much sense to me! After camping for a week (in the pouring rain two days) we giggled as we pulled up in front of the hotel! It's been a while since I had driven up to the door of my own hotel room, but what a fun thing it was! No lugging 50 pounds of baggage through a lobby or up three flight of stairs!
The gentleman that checked us in was the nicest man! He completely reminded me of my grandpa who was simply the single most wonderful man in the universe! (really) That interaction would have made almost any slight imperfection overlookable (is that a word?) Our room was clean, updated, cozy, safe, temperate. The bed was fine, TV was good. We watched the closing ceremonies of the Olympics. We sat with the door open and made friends with our neighbors!
I was pleased with our stay and would stay there again. It's a hotel, not a resort. It's a safe, clean freindly place to hang your cap for the night and get a shower after hiking the beautiful Pictured Rocks trails!

Room Tip: We were in number 10, I believe. A fine room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank maripotter
Michigan
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This motel is decent and affordable. The rooms are small, but comfortable. My son and I stayed here overnight, and we were pleased with the accomodations. The beds were comfortable, and the room was spotlessly clean. It was fairly close to town, so we had an easy drive to the various activities in Munising. The check-in and check-out were quick and efficient--no one was rude, but the front desk people were not very friendly, either. A smile from one of them would have been nice. While we were there, we watched t.v., and it was nice to have a newer, good-sized t.v. We checked out the recreation room, and it was small, and disappointing, but for those who like playing pool, it does have a pool table. It doesn't have much else, though. There were also laundry facilities, which we didn't use, but it might be helpful to others to know they are available. Both the recreation room and laundry facilities are located in a room attached to a garage behind the motel. There is not a walkway to this area. Parking was convenient. We were able to park right outside our room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Skye9988
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Our family has traveled a lot over the years. We are seasoned campers, but often stay in motels on our way to and from our camp site. We have never written a negative review about any of the places we have stayed over the years. Usually the managers and staff are so friendly, you can tell they love their jobs. Not so with the Alger Falls Motel. The rooms are very dated. There are no extras in the rooms- no coffee pots, hair dryers, etc. The television is small and does not show a clear picture. We have found people to be much more friendly in many other places. We walked away from that experience glad to be on our way and never intending to return.

Room Tip: There are many other choices in the area. I would go elsewhere.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Traveler2838
afmotel, Owner at Alger Falls Motel, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
As you never have written a negative review, I rarely respond to them. I made an exception in this case.

First of all, I would like to know the employee that waited on you. If there is someone being unfriendly or unprofessional to customers, that will be addressed. I realize there are many lodging choices in the area and appreciate all the business we get!

As for the rooms being dated...I can't disagree with you more. Yes, it's an older motel, but we have made numerous improvements in the past 10 years! Just this past spring we replaced the carpeting in ALL the rooms, repainted and got rid of the paneling wall (you can see it in one of the customer pics), put new furniture in our far west building, refinished the wood siding, and replaced all the TVs with new 32" flat screens!!

As for the extras in the rooms...all rooms have a 4.2 cubic foot refrigerator (not the small cube ones) and a microwave. Most of the rooms have a hair dryer but we have had problems with some of them breaking. Additional hair dryers, coffee makers and an iron and ironing board are available in the office and it says so in the room.

If you would e-mail me a description of the employee who waited on you I would appreciate it. algerfallsmotel1@jamadots.com
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Reviewed July 31, 2012

A little overpriced, but clean and a good stopping point. This place is a little east of Munising. It is an old style Motel. We had a king size bed that took up most of the room. Good water pressure and the bed was OK, maybe a little soft. It does have air conditioning, but we brought a fan and that was helpful. Running the air left the room smelling a little dank and damp. The motel faces M-28 and backs up to a woods. It is a place to sleep, not hang out, although they do have a full cable line-up and WiFi. We were staying a few days and noticed by 9:00 each morning the place was empty. Most people seemed to use it for a place to rest on the way elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MItraveler1957
afmotel, Owner at Alger Falls Motel, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Sorry about the air conditioner. The person that stayed after you told us about it. There was standing water in the unit that wasn't draining correctly. We took care of it as soon as the problem was brought to our attention.
michigan
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We picked the hotel based on the reviews and the price. We paid $84 a night for a queen bed and the room was decent size. Had air conditioning two chairs a table and a pretty large bathroom. room was very clean and bed was comfy. Will probably stay here again if the price is the same

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jacobmuir
Also consider these accommodations in or near Munising
Boarders Inn and Suites by Cobblestone Munising
Holiday Inn Express Munising -  Lakeview
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Munising
Roam Inn
Roam Inn
#2 of 11 in Munising
North Star Hotel – Pictured Rocks
Pictured Rocks Inn & Suites

Been to Alger Falls Motel? Share your experiences!