“Everthing bad except the location”

and 1 more site!
Hotel White Sand Beach
Ranked #46 of 93 Trincomalee B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I am a tourist facilitator my name is Tissa Gunawardana, I came here with Russian family on 27th December 2013 for two nights. At the start hotel people dealing very smart but those are only words. The old lady ruining this business is very very unprofessional so she use her cunning behavior to run the business. Not only the lady all staff of hotel are also unprofessional. My guests are very very smart and they are professionals so they can tolerate anything and they are very patient, so they will not submit any complaint. But anyhow I am very very disappointed about this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank tissagee
There are newer reviews for Hotel White Sand Beach

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We were able to get very good deals as we traveled on September which was supposedly off season .. but still great sunshine and great weather...

The place was beautiful and we stayed in one the the new built Cabana for a different experience .. it was lovely .. It was very close to the beach and you get a direct access with their own fencing .. which was more secured in my opinion.

After years of civil war , the hotel industry is booming in this part of the country.. looks to be a complete new experience for the hoteliers .. they need more experience in their guest relations, customer services and attention to details. .. not just here but the concept is yet to take off in sri Lanka itself !

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kavin R
Reviewed November 21, 2013

When we first arrived we loved it, cheap bungalow on the beach. Beautiful, empty beach, exactly what we hoped for. The manager was really nice to us but that changed quickly.. He tried to sell a lot, all for unbelievable high prices. His niceness disappeared when we didn't let him rip us off. In the end he sort of ignored us. I felt so awkward and unwelcome, can't believe it we should have been treated as guests but I just wanted to run away from this place. Dinner had to be ordered at 4pm already and you had to choose a time. When you arrive at the restaurant at that time your half warm food is placed on your table right away. But we do have to say the food is very good! Breakfast and curry are delicious! For a high price though, about 4 or 5 times the price it costs in town. Our bungalow was never cleaned even though it was full of sand. The cows, goat, cats and dogs make it a nice farm experience. The mouse,146329 Mosquitos, huge caterpillar and a grasshopper in our bungalow were less welcome. What I also didn't like is the way the manager yelled at his staff. What looked perfect was not so perfect at all. You're isolated and without shops around you're forced to take a tuk tuk into town or stay there. There are much nicer and cheaper places to go to we experienced.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank L73NL
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in the off-season. The beachside location is beautiful, and the nicest of the five or so guest houses we looked at before this one. The staff were very friendly and accommodating, and would set up a table on the beach for your dinner. Rates were very cheap - 3000 rupees a night for a double room with fan (extra 1000 for AC). Overall, a lovely stay in a beautiful location.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The White Sand Beach is located on the beautiful beach, the place is beautiful, the rooms are nice. The staff is helpful and friendly. So much for the good points.
The manager is friendly when he wants to.
- The snorkeling tour to the pigeon island he offers is basically the same you get when walking to the booth up the beach. Just that he takes a huge cut for making the phone call. Ah, the googles are borrowed for free but you have to pay rent for the flippers.
- If you want to eat in the evening but you don´t order in advance, he might behave stubborn and only offer certain - somewhat more pricy - dishes. Our great driver then complained to the owner (who is the father of the manager), who then talked to his son and sorted things out.
- The breakfast is ok, not more than that.
Overall, the place is beauty but run by a somewhat autocratic character. Hence the bad ranking.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Anonymus439
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was our second stay at this hotel.The hotel is in a nice location quite close to the beach. So we decided to stay here again with my parents when they were visiting us. But the behavior of the administration spoiled what should have been a enjoyable stay.

I stayed with my parents and we took two rooms. The rooms had AC but we decided the fan would be enough for us. So we took a deal without the use of AC. After a while, the fan in my parents room stopped working. We asked them to get it fixed but nothing was done for an hour. I would have expected them to compensate by letting us use the AC till the fan was fixed. Instead the manager blamed us for the fan not working. The tone which he used is simply not expected or acceptable from the hospitality industry. I complained to the owners about this but they didnt seem apologetic or concerned. Finally, I agreed to pay extra 1000 Rs for the use of AC.

The second rude surprise came when we decided to skip proper dinner and bought some fruits and ice-cream from the market. When I asked for a knife and some spoons from the kitchen, the owner said that we cannot stay at their resort and bring food from outside. I explained to him that we were just having some fruits and ice-cream and even if we brought food from outside I dont see why it should be an issue, atleast it has never been an issue in the 1 year I have been staying and travelling in Sri Lanka. But he maintained that they would charge for the use of some cutlery from the kitchen. And he was not even forthcoming about the amount he wanted to charge saying we will discuss that in the morning. Ofcourse at this point, I didnt trust him at all.

Needless to say, this attitude of the owners and manager really spoiled our stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ritesh m
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We were staying in White Sand Hotel in June 2013.
We had seen 3 or 4 other hotels before we chose this one. We liked spacious and quite light room, not bad furniture and bathroom.
The ocean is near the hotel. There is not large terrace in front of the room entrance, where you can have your meal or just relax.
The hotel have large green territory.
Also we were being pleased with the price for our room with AC and including breakfast.

But unfortunately we had some unpleasant things. All these things were coming from the administrator of the hotel. This man loves money and lying so much.

I don’t want to go into details, so it will be a complete novel.

I’d like to tell you about this person in short.
Firstly, there is no massage in the hotel! Don’t take the massaging by the administrator!
Secondly, trip to Pigeon Island. We had bought the tour from the administrator, but then we learnt this tour is cheaper from other hotels and diving-centers.
Thirdly, don’t believe there is Wi-fi. We were told, there was wifi everywhere in the hotel territory. But when we asked a password, the administrator said only his boss had had a password.
Fourthly, airport transfer. We were looking for the cheapest transfer, and the administrator had the highest price we ever heard. Of course, we took the other driver with normal price. But when our driver came to take away us the administrator raised hell with our driver, but only in The Sinhala language, so we couldn’t understand anything. But our driver said to us about it.

He’s unpleasant, two-faced lying person. If you will stay in this nice hotel, try to minimize your dealing with this man!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yulia_Zayakina
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trincomalee
Nilaveli Beach Resort
#9 of 26 in Nilaveli
High Park Hotel
High Park Hotel
#15 of 93 in Trincomalee

Been to Hotel White Sand Beach? Share your experiences!