“Best Beach Bar”

Ranked #49 of 83 Trincomalee B&B and Inns
Polonnaruwa, null, Sri Lanka
“Best Beach Bar”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

enjoy the beach and had nice cupple of drinks at the fernandos bar was one of the memorable day in my life and staff was soo help full with the owners . and there sea food platter was amazing.
now im excited to go to there new SPA and get a treatment overlooking the beautiful beach in front. lovely swimming pool too.small but nice and clean .thanks Fernando & Joe ... see you soon with all my friends again , good luck aqua inns

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Sameera V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Polish first
China
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Aqua inn has basic rooms but garden was beautiful , swimming pool was small but clean, and the Fernado's bar was brilliant. We got to use the kitchen for cooking Chinese food ( when kitchen was not busy). Staffs not speaking english much but polite and helpful. We spent 9 days in Aqua inn, it surely is a great place worth every Penni.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jade Z
fernando104, Public Relations Manager at Aqua Hotel trincomalee, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thank you for your kind review we are pleased you enjoyed your stay at Aqua and delighted you decided to extend your stay. The staff are a little shy with their English but it is an area that the management are focusing on and for them practise makes perfect.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Aqua Inns for 3 nights with our 6 year old daughter and baby. We found the rooms to be large, clean and comfortable for our family. My daughter loved being in her own 4 poster single bed and thanks to the made to measure mosquito nets I never got bitten, and those mossies luuurrve me! We found the bathrooms to be clean and adequate for our needs.

The staff were more then accommodating which is a joy when you have a small baby in tow they did a special mashed pumpkin and vege dish and were always obliging when we needed bottles heated.

Luckily the sun was shining on our visit even though it was out of season and we spent a great deal of time relaxing in the shade loungers on the beach. We loved the fact that Fernando’s Bar & Restaurant had free wifi as well as a bonafide liquor licence so we could enjoy cold beer and even some wine. The new pool area is great and its refreshing to see how they have sculptured the garden with nature, my daughter loved watching the chipmunks and lizards it attracted.

Most of all we were amazed at what good value Aqua Inns was for an AC room and we wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this friendly place to all of our friends next visit will have to be for a diving course.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Weimar, Thüringen, Germany
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Booked through Agoda for two nights one week in advance and paid in full with visa - for a room that promised a lot. I arrived to be shown a dark, musty, smoky, creepy, run down room with old blue painted walls and a sickening 15 watt energy saving globe that barely illuminated even the outline of the bed. The room had the energy of a horror movie about it and the floor was literally covered in deep puddles of water. I asked the guy if this was the room that I had booked and the reply was 'I will give you a free dinner sir' - Again I asked 'if this was the room I had booked?' He then replied 'no sir the one you booked is still occupied but I can offer you a free dinner...' - I said 'but I BOOKED AND PAID A WEEK AGO!!!' - Apparently, some rich couple had offered them a bonus to be allowed to stay in the room longer while they bumped me as apparently booking and paying for a room in advance is meaningless. They then offered to pay for another hotel down the road for me that they promised was was much better than their own. I was taken to another and just dumped there with no hot water, no shower, no breakfast and a lot of other no's - that I had paid for with Aqua Inns. I would love to see them shut down, they are obviously a bunch of criminals with no regard or respect for how to run an honest business.

Room Tip: Definitely a case for the health and safely inspectors as well as the tax fraud department.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Hamish John A
fernando104, Public Relations Manager at Aqua Hotel trincomalee, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Mr John A
My apologies firstly in the delay in writing this response I am presently out of the country.
The staff member involved has been severely reprimanded. It appears that your allocated Agoda room was given to a walk in guest who requested a large number of rooms and inadvertently your booking was overlooked. Aqua Inns have contacted Agoda and requested that a full refund be given for your 2 day booking.
We prefusely apologise that this incident occurred and the management has taken measures that this will not happen again.
It is always Aqua Inns intention to give our guests a happy experience.

Travelers are raving about these Trincomalee hotels

dorset
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The restaurant had stunning views over the beach, and it was one of the few that served a range of acoholic drinks. the new pool is lovely as are the gardens. The building is not to every bodies taste though my husband loved it and the rooms are large, airy, and unusually for the area, with mosquito nets. Has had bad write ups in the past, because the building from the corridors is a bit grim, but really amazing value for money. The staff do not speak much english and are therefore rather shy, but Michael and Jo are always available to sort any problems and give advice.

Room Tip: if you don't like the building take the rooms on the ground floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rajasthan, India
Reviewed December 6, 2012

this "hotel" or "resort" (or whatever the owner thinks she can call it) was the most revolting place i have ever stayed in in my entire life. i went backpacking around india for 5 months, and paid $3 a night to stay in places MUCH MUCH nicer than this.

we arrived, and were so exhausted, we bargained with the owner to give us a $2 discount, and then she didnt want to give us towels because we weren't paying the full price.

the grounds of the place were horrible. the pool, had about 1 foot of water in it, and was covered in sludge. somehow, a goldfish was trying to live in it, breathing at the top. weird.

we sat in the restaurant and ordered "veggie burgers". the owner then tried to up-sell it to us by asking if we wanted avacado on the burgers. shouldnt it already come with avacado?

then we ordered some drinks, and then drinks came about 15 minutes later in glasses so small, they were like shot glasses.

after that, our veggie burgers arrived. i am not exaggerating in the slightest, but i bit into the burger, and it tasted like vomit. the "wedges" that were slopped onto the side of the plate were also pretty useless. it was like eating paper.

the beds were so small and uncomfortable, my mum got a sore back. i had to put the mosquito net up myself, as it had just been shoved in the corner of the room.

the worst part was the toilet; when you flushed it, it would leak out the bottom, and so you'd be standing in your own mess.

the shower water smelled like the toilet.

the best part about staying there, though, was watching everyone complain about the terrible rooms, service and food. someone ordered a fruit juice and when it arrived in a teeny tiny glass, they complained. the owners solution was to give them a bigger glass and just put water in the juice to fill it up.

after 2 nights in the hell hole, we got fed up, went next door and got a nice room, with air conditioning, a tv, hot shower, pool, and nice bathroom CHEAPER than aqua inns.

all-in-all, the aqua inns experience was hilarious, im glad we went there, only so we can now laugh at how money hungry the owner is.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank gaglersh
fernando104, Public Relations Manager at Aqua Hotel trincomalee, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Thank you for your review, the management appreciate the feedback. We have never advertised that we have pool facilities but what we do have is the beautiful ocean on our doorstep. We take your feedback seriously and would like to inform you that the hotel has been closed for a month November to December 2012 for a major refurbishment and upgrade to all rooms which now have 4 poster beds, refurbished bathrooms including the completion of the swimming pool area, Sri Lanka's only 5* tec diving and sea view spa. Last year was Aqua's first season we recognise that renovation was needed and we have now had the time and resources to make these changes.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in Sept 2012. Budget accomodation with excellent location on a stunning beach.
Trincomalee is very under developed for a tourist destination following 30 years of war. For adventurous travellers who enjoy stunning empty beaches this is a must!

I ate all my meals at Fernandos Bar which is part of the hotel. I thought the food was excellent and good value. They have started to offer more local dishes. I had a really good fiery prawn curry and rice, they can make it less spicy if you prefer!

The rooms are basic but mine was clean and safe and had AC. I spent so little time in my room prefering to spend time on the beach.

Finally the hosts....Fernando and Jo are trying to renovate but these things take time in Sri Lanka. I really loved the reclaimed wood that they used to build the bar area. It offered great shade in the Trinco heat.
I got on really well with Jo and enjoyed our chats and laughs together. They couldn't have been more helpful and nice hosts. This is just the kind of business I like to support.

A shout should go out to Sanju, my driver who picked me up from Trinco airport. He later drove me to Habarana. Excellent driver, honest, funny took me to see loads of things I would have missed. I even got to meet his lovely wife and daughter. You can arrange through hotel......I was very happy with him.

Go, relax, chill out....you're in Sri Lanka

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Markythetiger
Hello Mark,
Thank you for your positive feedback we arek delighted you enjoyed your stay & we were only too happy to help you arrange your onward journey with Sanju a reliable, honest and friendly tuk tuk / van driver. We are pleased to inform you as well that Aqua has been closed for Nov & Dec 2012 for a major refurbishment and upgrade. If you do plan to visit us again you are sure to enjoy a peaceful nights sleep in a 4 poster bed with custom made mosquito netting. In addition we have finally completed the pool which will be ready in Jan 2013, new pathways, Sri Lanka's only 5*tec diving center and a sea view spa.