“Not transparent with their services and charges” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nilaveli Garden Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Trincomalee
Nilaveli Garden Inn
Ranked #36 of 74 Trincomalee B&B and Inns
Hsinchu County, Taiwan
“Not transparent with their services and charges”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Upon check in everything seemed promising. I was offered a room for about 3000r with a/c or one for about 2000r with no a/c. For 2000r the room was a steal. It had a nice shower, it was spacious in both the room and the bathroom. It had a nice mosquito net.

There is no where to eat in the town except at the resorts - needed to eat at expensive places or take a tuk tuk out of town to go find something.

The beach was nice but the only people I could find were older europeans on a package vacation at one of the resorts. It much have been off season because there really were few people there. I was immediately bored.

The beach was nice and it was great for swimming. I wanted to go to Pigeon Island to snorkel or dive but it seemed as though I would have to rent a whole boat by myself which was out of my budget.

The hotel offered me dinner for 750r and breakfast for 500r. The dinner was not great - very average. Very chewy meat... some of it inedible.

Upon check out I was then charged 1200 for dinner, 500 for breakfast, another 150 for wifi, and then some sort of tax. My bill that should have been 3250 skyrocketed to about 4500r. This is ridiculous. No one mentioned any price or charge for wifi which I barely used.. The dinner price which was overpriced at 750 now cost 1200, and there was a tax which no other hotel in Sri Lanka had during my stay.

If the owner had been more transparent about the pricing I would have rated this place nicer as I thought the room was quite nice. But had I known the real price of dinner or the tax I never would have stayed there. Also the mosquitos were worse here than anywhere else in Sri Lanka. I almost always travel without deet because mosquitos do not usually bug me or like me that much but here I was getting eaten alive at night.

I didn't bother to argue and just left. it is better just to skip this place and head to the nice beaches in the south or elsewhere. There is no town and nothing to do.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Steve M

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Opole, Poland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

in first view, Nilaveli Garden Inn looks nice, and even stuff (manager) sounds to be nice, helpful, and open for a make Your stay the best he can. but this is at the begining...
I was there with my friends, we got 3 double rooms. in one room there was no mosquito net, in my room mosquito net got huge hole, like after tiger attack in Monthy Python... in my room I've got hot water... if You got lot of free time, at least half an hour, to be wet... in another room in the bathroom was only a pipe protruding the wall. outside the rooms stood out from the sewage pipes, so the stench was unbelievable. on the balcony was only... floor.
beach is not so far from the hotel, 100 meters, maybe more, but throu ugly, dirty path, with glass, stones, mud and brushwood.
but worst thing in this hotel is a manager (owner?). this man from the beginning did not give us peace, throwing for everything, shaking and combining all the time, imposed on all the time, trying to make us apart.
fun started, when it came to paying the bill, when it turned out that the internet, which was to be available throughout the hotel, and barely picked in the lobby and restaurant, it costs us 250 rs for each room that papaya juice splash costing us after 300 rs, while in any bar or restaurant can be a buy rs 75-100. but the most interesting to look costing adding alcohol (a bottle of Arrack), which we bought ourselves, and the owner even in this context even gave us glasses. to everything we added a percentage of 10% service charge, what can be used in Sri Lanka, but what concerned 10% for the interet, water with meals (which did not order, and as welcome was poured into glasses for us-which is to say the price of dinner ), and the aforementioned costs of their consumption of alcohol, to this day I can't guess.
only bright thing in this hotel was waiter, everytime smiling, nice, and competent (as compared to the standards of the country).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank szymms

Travelers are raving about these Trincomalee hotels

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

This place seems to have some quite bad reviews and I am not sure why, I think people were unlucky ... The manager Mr Sarad was great, and I think he is new so maybe things have improved. He very kindly let me use his office when I needed to receive an important phone call. There were no problems with either our wifi or aircon, rooms are clean and modern with mosquito nets, breakfast was fruit and cooked options.

Basically, for those complaining about price, all I can say is that this is about a quarter of the price of the Nilavelli Beach Hotel next door, which is an outrageous rip-off ($200 a night!). Yes, for what it is, this is on the pricey side for Sri Lanka if you compare to the little local LKR4000 a night-type places, and admittedly some of the a la carte food too, but for us it was a welcome and relaxing break, literally a few steps from the fabulous beach, and with casual visits from local deer and peacocks.

To get there, follow the signs for Nilavelli Beach Hotel, and then just before you get to the gates, turn right along the alleyway and there you have it. Recommended.

Room Tip: The wifi is in the public areas but rooms close to the reception can receive the signal
Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank senti2comun
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

The place had clean rooms and an ok bathroom, but for the price you pay and the service you get, you need to avoid this place! We had to change our room 3 times as the AC would not work, AC is the only reason you stay at this place. The manager kept telling us it worked and just to wait, but the machines were definitely faulty. The "technician" was some guy who only used the remote, he did nothing we hadnt already done. When we asked why we had no hot water we were told monkeys ate the pipes the day before. And when we tried to use the free wi-fi, which we were told worked when we paid to stay there, we were told that it had just stopped working and we were out of luck. The food was ok, but it was 1000 Rs for a buffet that was very simple, and then we were charged nearly 25% tax on this. For 1250, you could eat much better another place near buy! If you do come, make sure to negotiate hard, the manager cannot be trusted.
When we checked out he had inflated the price of our room by 1500 Rs per day. Very bad experience!

Room Tip: Make sure the AC works for 30 min without stopping, it always works at first then it dies!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John C
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

They is few (about 5) places to stay in Nilaveli and the one with air-con are rare considering that Trincomalee-Nilaveli is very hot. You can go to Seaway hotel if you are lucky to have a room with air-con.
But dont go to Garden Inn!

The manager told us there was air-con, hot water and wifi. First, the air-con wasn t working, we had to change 3 times room. A <Technician> was fixing our air-con. Actually it was a guy playing with the remote. After, when we realized that we didn t have hot water, the same manager told us that the pipes have been eaten by monkeys the day before and finally when we wanted to call another place on our computer, the manager told us that they were fixing the internet.

At that time it was getting late and the manager lowered the price. The next day, on our bill the price was not the one we ve negotiated.
We noticed other people complaining about other things.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anne-Julie L
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

We enjoyed our Trincomalee experience. Of course, the value of accommodation is not that good as in other parts of Sri Lanka, but you get a very nice beach (we found it was almost as good as the famous Boracay in the Philippines), and this particular guest house presents good value in Nilaveli. We were not getting the breakfast, just the room (there is a local little shop nearby making delicious dosas and dhal curry for breakfast and curry-rice for lunch), but we found the room was new, had a comfortable bed and generally nice furniture and was getting good breeze at night. Moreover we found the people in Trincomalee to be very nice and helpful, and the guest house staff as well. The manager even took time during his trip to town and bought us bus tickets for a night bus to Colombo, avoiding us to make the trip by ourself. The girl (unfortunately we didn't ask her name) managing the GH is also extremely attentive and benevolent.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

If you want to pay as much as you would for 3 star in the west, and get far less, then this is the place for you. No hot water, no tv, no internet, no refrigerator, and beds only of slightly higher comfort than the ones on the overnight train (i.e. awful). And not to mention, when I walked into the kitchen to see if it was open, I almost vomited from the smell emitting from it. And I am still curious to know what service was provided for the 10% service charge. This place was miserable!

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo