“Not for Backpackers”

Ranked #11 of 79 Trincomalee B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Not for Backpackers”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I really wanted to like this place. It was the most recommended place in the Lonely Planet and the reviews online were great. I thought this would be the perfect place to end my trip in Sri Lanka. I emailed at 7pm the night before, asking about availability because I wanted to stay 4 nights. I checked to see if I had an response, twice in the morning, once at 8 am and once at noon. Because there was no response I decided to go to the guesthouse and ask what the situation was. It was slow season anyways and I was hopeful. When I arrived, I waited in the restaurant as the security guard went to fetch Donna. I asked her if my reservation had gone through to which she said, "When did you send it?" I told her last night and she replied tersely, "We sleep you know..." I told her I didn't believe 7pm was that late and since it was 4 pm the next day I wasn't sure what the situation was and was hoping to stay here. She told me she read my email but they were all booked out. The thing is, I understand if a place is popular and full but they could've let me know it was full; there seemed to be a bit of attitude about it but at this point I wasn't sure if I was imagining things. The next day, my friends and I returned to Palm Beach because we wanted to make a reservation for their last night in Trinco. We walked 40 meters from the beach, in our swimsuits to this little outdoor patio restaurant and asked to see the menu. The Sri Lankan lady went to fetch Donna who immediately looked us up and down and said, "We don't do take out." My buddy politely said, "Oh..we were planning to eat dinner here and we were hoping to make a reservation for dinner tonight." "We're all full." "Could we see the menu, if we decide to come back tomorrow?" "We do a new menu every night." "Oh...ok..that's a shame, I was really hoping to have a pizza." Then Donna exclaimed, "Pizza! Pizza! Is that all you think Italians eat?! We eat a lot more than pizza and our restaurant does not make that." At this point, I was astounded by her rudeness and the three of us left. In my 9 months of travel, I had never experienced such rude customer service. The thing is, this is Sri Lanka, and perhaps the restaurant may be authentic Italian but it looks no different than any cheap to mid range beach hut restaurant in Trinco, not to mention, I don't think it's such a ridiculous question to ask if an Italian restaurant would have pizza. They seem to have an attitude that they don't care about potential customers because they are so busy. I thought I would take the time to write this because I have not felt this offended in a long time. As a backpacker I recommend French Garden, which may not be as clean but it is on the beach and you will not have to deal with such rude service, as well, there will be more backpackers there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank N S
cottilu, Manager at Palm Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
your review has been withdraw from tripadvisor twice.... but since you insist i answer you whit great plasure: at 7 pm we are working as usual in the restaurant and we cannot look mail so we cannot answer.
We were backpakers lifetime but in our time all travelers were around without laptop, iphone, ipad, credit card so we are the firts to recognize, help and respect the real travelers. Every days we receive dozen of request for the restaurant and sometimes many strange requests.
Congratulation to you for taking the time for this rewiew but probably you are not vey busy in your life, is this a new fashion to criticize without trying and for everything but if you are happy for this....for us no problem!
Ciao

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Hard to book any of those 8 rooms (do it in advance) and harder to dine in there
Only one reason: commodities, excellent food, relaxed ambience, ...
Mediterranean expertise in the beach of Sri Lanka
Thanks Luca and Dona for your effort and we encourage you to finish the season at the same level
See you soon at your lovely Italy

Room Tip: never try to dine outside, other restaurants are crap ompared with Dona's cuisine
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Kingscliff, Australia
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had a wonderful 3 night stay at Palm Beach resort in June with our two children aged 7 &10.
Dona's food was a wonderful treat each night and Luca was a delight to chat with.
We had a family room with 1 double and 2 single beds which was basic yet clean and prefect for our needs. It is located just a few minutes from the beach which is truly beautiful and we enjoyed meeting the local fisherman and their families.

I would not hesitate to recommend Palm Beach Resort and hope to return again someday.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We had a brilliant stay here , the Italian couple were so friendly and helpful. The home cooked Italian food was amazing. Our room was basic but was perfect for what we wanted. Would definitely recommend it and would stay again

• Stayed June 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 23, 2013

As it was rainy season at the west coast, we headed for the east coast. We read all the great reviews about Palm Beach Resort and we were not dissapointed. The resort is set in a lush garden filled with palm trees.
The rooms are splendid and cleaned every day, with airco and a fan. There's a door at the front and at the back of your room, so you can open them both and let the lovely sea wind freshen up your room. Cold showers, but it was so hot that we actually loved that. Beds are firm. Every room has a nice private terrace with a fan.
The food is lovely, Dona en Luca are from Rome, and so are their pastas and other dishes. We ate there every evening, and had a Sri Lankan lunch every day at the Chayaa Blue beach restaurant, further up at the beach, which was nice as well. The beach is lovely, just 2 minutes walking from the resort. We went to Nilavelli beach one afternoon, but Uppuveli is nicer, more intimate.
It's best that you make reservations, because we were there pre-high season but new guests arrived everyday. Dona and Luca are very friendly and give you that personal attention that makes this place so special.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We ended there mostly because there aren't many options nearby and because the room was the cheapest option on this beach. We were also pretty curious to meet an Italian couple running a guest-house in Sri Lanka.
Finally, we had great conversations with Luca and Dona and enjoyed so much the food that we ate there every night. Such a delight to chat with those experienced travelers and feel a bit in Italy even in the middle of Sri Lanka. The room was also bright clean and pretty spacious in this price-range category. We're already planning to come back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Quaint little guest house set a little back from the beautiful Uppevieli beach, Palm Beach is somewhere we will remember fondly.

Beautiful home cooked Italian dinner menu which is changed daily dependant on what looks good at the market. Coffee is a real treat, breakfast is yummy and wine is good. It's all about the food here!

Owners Luca and Dona take care to make sure everyone staying there feels welcome and Anthony the security guy has to get a special mention!

If we ever return to Sri Lanka, we will be heading straight to here, it's a real gem! :)

• Stayed June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trincomalee
Amaranthe Bay Resort
#2 of 79 in Trincomalee
Dyke Rest
Dyke Rest
#1 of 79 in Trincomalee

Been to Palm Beach Resort? Share your experiences!