“A great improvement is needed!”

Regency Hotel de Vigan
Ranked #25 of 30 Vigan B&B and Inns
Baguio, Philippines
“A great improvement is needed!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is quite new. The location is just in front of the Vigan City market and is near the central bus station. Behind it is the Vigan cemetery. It is a few blocks away from the heritage sites -and if you don't mind walking under the hot sun then you can stay in this hotel. I got this hotel using agoda. I travelled with my family of 3 adults, 1 child and a baby. We wanted to go to Vigan for our school long break and to eat my favorite Vigan empanadas. I paid 3,300 pesos for a family suite, which is good for 4 persons with breakfast.

Here's what I have observed, parking is AT YOUR OWN RISK. The hotel doesn't have its own parking spot. The hotel building is found behind the shopping complex in front of the market. The parking area is where the mall customers park and is right next to the street. It tends to be very crowded during daytime, and no uniformed security guard to man the area.

As you enter the area, you have to enter the shopping complex first before you reach the hotel facade. The hotel has an open air lobby - i.e. no doors, their dining area is also open, no airconditioning system and was quite dark at 3pm. The hotel owner/manager who I spoke to when I enter was not very friendly and was arrogant. For a hotel owner, she should have learned good customer service and should always SERVE with a smile. We were assigned to room 303 and we have to walk up a flight of stairs to reach the room with our luggages. There are no elevators in the building and all floors and hallways have CCTVs which the hotel owner watches on her iPad. Hotel personnels do not wear uniforms - we don't know who the employees are in this hotel. What you want for breakfast the next day is asked as soon as you checked in.

The rooms looked clean but in actuality it wasn't THAT clean. At most, maintenance personnel should make sure that the tables, 2 LCD TVs and the bible on the table are clean. It was so obvious that it hasn't been wiped. The room is really small. The family suite we got had a loft with narrow spiral steps leading to it. It had 2 bathrooms which were not designed well. The hot water is only available in the showers and not on the sink. The basin is very high for me. You need to be at least 5'4 ft to be able to reach the water in the basin. There were 3 uncomfortable beds.

On our second day, we had to call the front desk to check the water availability in our room. We asked why there was no water coming out in the faucets - and the receptionist said that there were a lot of people using the water. If that's the case, since they are running a hotel, they should be aware that water is used anytime and all the time. They should have a good water reserve.

There was an attempt to have an exercising area, which is found in the top floor. Just by going up the steps with no air con is enough to sweat everything you've eaten during the day.

At breakfast, they don't have other available foods. Fresh milk isn't available for those who drink milk in the morning. Instant coffee is served instead of brewed coffee and instant milo is served. Expect to eat in a very humid area. There was only one running electric fan available for 6 tables full of people.

Would I recommend this to my friends? No. Even if the hotel greatly improves, I would recommend people to get inns/hotels at the plaza instead.

Room Tip: Choose rooms at the 2nd floor - has better water source. Plus if you brought a lot of luggage, you o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank rbdsantiago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sagada, Philippines
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed in this place last feb 2013, .,,the service is poor especially the management and the front desk attendant ...the room is not clean and WiFi connection is weak...I would never return to this place nor recommend to anyone.waste of money and time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank noicy

Travelers are raving about these Vigan hotels

Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Having stayed in all sorts of hotels/inns, this is by far the worst we have been to. Let me start with their correspondence. You would think just because they are new and have a website, they deal with clients professionally. Uh-uh, they do not. I did my reservations online and made a bank deposit for my payment (which I paid an extra service charge). I had to call after a day to ask for my confirmation receipt since I have not received any. The office number just rang. Called the mobile numbers and was finally answered by a woman. I was talking in English but the woman kept on speaking in their dialect. So I switched to Filipino. And the woman finally spoke in Filipino too. Ofcourse by this time my tone was irritable already bcoz the woman would not let me finish my inquiry. After saying the purpose of my call, I put down the phone and checked my email again. That's when I found their reply to my email in the Junk folder bcoz they changed and misspelled the subject line. Anyways, I confirmed receipt by text and the woman called back shouting at me saying they got my payment and again not letting me speak. I just texted back to let them know that I wish our stay would be pleasant.
We arrived past 3pm on our check in date and since their map says it was walking distance from the terminal, we just walked. We asked atleast 3 trike drivers and no one knew of the hotel. This is when I called the hotel, again no one answered the office number. And finally found it when they said it was beside Jollibee. (Well they should have placed that on the map!).
Checking in took about 10 mins and when we got to the room, I saw red ants near the door. I told the bellboy about it but he just brushed it off with his feet! Inside the room, he did not even showme where the a/c remote was. I was the one who turned it on. The room was loft type and was small. We are just staying overnight so it was okay for us. My kids stayed in the upstairs area wc had its own CR, but when my daughter was about to use the lavatory, something floating was found! Remember that we just arrived!
The next day, only 3 of us were able to take a bath because there was no water! I told the woman in the front desk but all she replied was , "didn't I tell you about the water?". Duh! If I had known there was a water curfew I wouldn't call you. Least they could do was put a sign in the room saying about this.
Breakfast was so-so, paid 150pesos for a meal I could get at Jollibee for less than 100 bucks!
Checked out early, 9am, since we'd rather get out of that place than complain to its management!

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank MsJiggsaw
Luzon, Philippines
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here because I was referred by one of the owners relative. I got a discount because because of that. They gave me a double bed room because there was no more one bedroom available but the owner kept telling me that they don't do that as a practice but only because of there relative, next time I should pay more if I want that room. I didn't want that room I just needed a room so next if ill be charged more I will not stay here.

The room was clean and decent, actually better than what I've expected. Wifi is bad. Location is good. Staffs are nice but the place could be better if someone with knowledge on hotel operations were hired.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Jepoyng
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed March 13, 2013

After having a great time in Ilocos Norte, we were hoping to stay in a great comfortable hotel to end our great Ilocos vacation. So when we finally arrived at the hotel after a 2 hour drive from Laoag City at 12nn, we were looking forward to wash our faces to freshen up. Unfortunately, the room had very little water on the sink and had no hot water. My friend also noticed that the aircon vent cannot be fixed because it was so cold and the air was blowing straight to her face when she's lying down on her bed. We immediately asked assistance from the front desk and my friend was able to speak with the owner (woman) and told her if they could fix the room. After 5 hours of enjoying the city tour, we went back to the hotel only to find out that nothing from our room was fixed. The front desk who we know is the husband of the owner was clueless on our request. After a long discussion,with my friend patiently explaining that we cannot have very low water pressure in our room (which is a basic need) and the broken vent of the aircon, the bell boy finally said that the owner (husband) have decided that they will change our room.

When we were finally in a better room, we were just shocked that the bell boy actually woke us when he knocked on our door at 11:30pm insisting that we pay the extra bedsheet charge right away (which was only around Php80.) and insisted that it could not wait until we check out as advised by the woman owner. We were then informed by the bell boy that the couple had a fight since the woman owner did not want us to change rooms or provide free bedsheets. It was good that her husband treated us nicely or we would have ended up freezing to death.

The next day, when we were about to take a bath, we found out that their water heater was not working nor their free wifi and knowing that this hotel just opened last year did not help either. Because of the very unsatisfactory hotel experience, we decided not to eat their free breakfast and went out instead.

If there's only one good thing about the hotel is the location especially if you need to commute as the trycicle station is just outside and the bus station is just walking distance. But overall, I would recommend going instead to the other budget hotels near Calle Crisologo. Let's ask the owner to have basic customer service training first before reconsidering to go back here as she really needs it for her business' sake.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank BusyGirl1614
Mabalacat, Philippines
Reviewed March 12, 2013

My family and i stayed here July of 2012. We were on a trip up North and things did not really go as planned, thus we ended up checking-in here. We were greeted by the security guard who also turned out to be the front desk agent, then maintenance staff then housekeeping. The Hotel was about 90% done with construction that time, but i guess that is not an excuse for not having staff when the rooms are actually offered to the public already. (And having one staff to handle everything for nearly 24hrs is far from being humanitarian). Anyways, we checked-in despite all the fuss at the front desk (staff was unsure of availability and rates), since it was near dusk and we did not want to be still on the streets looking for rooms during the night. The rooms, in fairness, were nice and clean (this was expected, since the place is new). But there were no convenience outlets for our gadgets. Tv was small for our liking. The rooms are far from being "modern" , but at least they were decent. Wifi signal is not that good. We requested for a flat iron which the guard/front desk agent/housekeeping provided, only to be pulled out before we can even use it. Apparently, the boss saw the staff via CCTv providing us with the flat iron, and was instructed to pull it out because the "electricity fee is not included in the rate". I mean, they could have just charged us additional, although that was not normal in any of the hotels i have been to, but pulling out the flat iron after it has been provided already? Come on! To sum it all up, the place is average. We can't blame the staff for all the fuss, coz he was practically alone and handling everything that time. We may come back to give it another chance, but might think and rethink before we do.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank icallitjoycism
Zamboanga City
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Was looking for a modern hotel in Vigan because I want to stay away from the old hotels as I was not comfy staying in old houses/hotels, so I found this. Booked via Agoda. Check in was a breeze. Super love love love that they provided a map for us and helped us on how to go around Vigan's major tourist spots. Super appreciated that they gave us tips on where to go and how to go to places where we want to go. Very friendly staff. The room was super nice, huge and clean. Everything was new and modern. Love that they have a garden and a waterfall. Room has a veranda overlooking the garden. Bed was huge, AC was nice, sheets were nice, tv was ok. Bath was clean, the only prob was the sink. It was too high, not meant for short people or kids. Shower head was clean. The breakfast was fine, longganisa food trip for us for the nth time during our vacation. :) No elevator in the hotel so be prepared to do a little power climbing. Hotel is situated in a commercial zone super loved the fact that everything was accessible: atm, drugstore, mini grocery, gadget store, etc. Will definitely be staying here when I'll be visiting Vigan again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple