“"Warm & Rustic"”
Review of Gordion Hotel

Gordion Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Vigan
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Reserved thru email & sms with prompt reply. After a 5 hour ride from Baguio, I was so relieved when they handed us a welcome towel & drinks upon check in. The climate was as warm as their welcome. I reserved a standard room but they don't have available so they gave us a room upgrade of a deluxe which i was surprised & glad because the room was really big.Stayed 1 night.The price of the room even for a standard was like the price of a deluxe compared to what I was expecting--- though it's worth it's value. The hotel environment including the hallways, balcony, lights, garden & furniture gave it a truly cozy, rustic, relaxing, homey feel, .Great location, yummy breakfast,! Would definitely come back again.

Room Tip: Choose a room near their balcony/terrace.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank simply_dae
There are newer reviews for Gordion Hotel

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Location - this is just a few steps away from one of the main reasons for visiting Vigan - the World Heritage site of Crisologo Street.
Good value for money - breakfast is basic but am satisfied. Internet service available. The staff are very helpful. They have a yard that served as parking space which is good since Vigan has narrow streets for street parking.
Their ACs though are window type that are very loud that mimic the sound of sleeping in an airplane but I was tired from the all day travelling that I slept through it.
Overall I'm satisfied with out stay.

Room Tip: Request for a room away from the streets if you can because the tricycles are very noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Great location, steps away from restored historic area. Standard room we booked was windowless on the ground floor, but they gave us an upgrade to a second floor deluxe room. Once we learned that the opaque window panels do slide open, we were happy there. Clean, staff cheerful and helpful. Roof-top deck had no umbrellas or chairs.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank boboise
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I am a lover of antiques so every time I think of having a vacation, Vigan comes first on my list. I never tried advance reservation because even if I go there as walk in, I still able to get a room. I have tried many hotels from high to low since I‘ve been there for like a zillion times (of course I’m exaggerating) Anyway, Not many have gave me a good impression.

I don’t have my own car so I traveled by bus. Of course mamang tricycle driver was always there waiting for me to hop in, got lucky he only collected 20 pesos this time unlike last time oh geez...was it 100 pesos? He asked me where to go...I didn’t answer immediately because I was thinking whether to go to hotels near plaza Burgos, but on the second thought, I wanted to try other hotels, so I told mamang driver to take me to a hotel where he think offers the best.

He took me to Gordion hotel. From the outside I know it wasn’t new so I was struggling whether to get inside or try the hotel beside it because it looks newer, but I entered nevertheless. And I’m so glad I did. As I enter I saw the big piece of art...antique...whether it’s authentic or not, I don’t mind, I just love what I’m seeing..the beauty of simplicity...the memories of old times.

The front desk offered me a deluxe room and I said it’s fine since the rate is reasonable, so the attendant took me there. It was on the second floor. As I seeing the whole of the hotel my mind starts to wander...back in time. But my wandering mind stopped when the attendant opened the door and showed me the room...too big for a solo traveler like me, but it doesn’t matter, I love the ambiance...and wow...I didn’t expect it to be very clean. The bed looks so comforting I wanted to sleep right away but I wanted to relax a little bit and decided to smoke but the front desk clerk advised me not to smoke inside so I had to find the smoking area. I saw the terrace near my room so I walked there.

I was enjoying my cigarette while looking at the stars, of course there should be stars because it’s dark already and the weather is normal, then when I looked down, I saw stars again...sure it wasn’t the stars we see up in the sky... little lights as if planted in a brick wall. I wasn’t able to figure out what it was but I guess it was a garden because I saw plants, tables and chairs and I’m hearing mellow music too. I didn’t realize I was thinking so hard guessing what it was. My curiosity is killing me so I hurriedly went down and asked the reception what it is. Garden by the Ruins, that’ what she told me, it is where I shall be having my breakfast. It’s a pity I didn’t bring my fiance with me. I could have proposed right there and then( haha) well, there’s always a next time..sure thing. Wow, did I write this long??? Hahaha alright to cut it short. I found my home here in Vigan, clean, nice, and just perfect for me.

Room Tip: deluxe room is best
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Fredericko R
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The deluxe room that I stayed in was clean, but the standard rooms that my relatives stayed in had bed bugs and cockroaches. We booked our rooms two days before our arrival so we failed to get better rooms...those were the only choices left. My poor niece had bites all over her face.

On our second day, “housekeeping” failed to make up rooms even if the signs were put up. Mine was clean because I left word with the reception to make up room; my relatives simply placed the “make-up room signs” on their doorknobs. So after a tiring day, they came back to dirty rooms.

We requested for additional beds, but the blanket were thin and inadequate to keep us warm. Housekeeping did gave us thicker blankets only after we complained with the reception on the second day.

At the breakfast buffet, I saw a fly on the sunny side up...so I didn’t take any eggs. Unfortunately, they also ran out of the corned beef...so I didn’t have much to eat.

The positive thing about the hotel is its location. It is very near Calle Crisologo. Staffs @ hotel’s reception were also accommodating, but the negatives outweighed the positives.

Advice. Book early and stay in suites and deluxe rooms only.

Room Tip: Book early and stay in suites and deluxe rooms only.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bsy2012
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights during a recent trip to Vigan. The hotel is located only about 50metres away from the main street, so location is excellent. Within the grounds is a free car park. The room itself was ok, although a little bit dated. Since the hotel is a nice historic building, I would wish, that some of this history would have been reflected when designing the rooms. Unfortunately, there is mostly relativly cheap furniture and a very basic bathroom (missed opportunity in my eyes.. would be happy to pay more if done nicely). Breakfast was also only ok, even by Philippine standards. After having been in Vigan, I have noticed that there are quite a few very nice new hotels (in old buildings) which have just opened or where just about to open... Maybe next time.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Airport Pick-up and Transfer = PHP4,000.00 each way. Thus, if you decide to avail of both, you'd be charged PHP8,000.00. It's pretty steep but if you're traveling as a family and coming from Laoag International Airport which is two hours away from Vigan, the expense is worth it because the vehicle is a huge van that can probably fit around 6 to 8 people. Don't be worried about the safety because the van is driven by the hotel owner's personal driver. My sister and I enjoyed our trip with him because he was very accommodating in terms of answering our questions (it was our first time in Ilocos) and handing out useful tips.

Bathroom = It's quite small but there is a heater so I really can't complain. The hotel also provides you the basic toiletries such as shampoo and soap (that's what I can remember but I think there's also a toothbrush or a comb). You might want to bring your own towel as the hotel's are pretty thin and well worn out from several washings. But if you're not particular about that, it's fine.

Room = It's not soundproof. If you're housed in the new building where the outdoor restaurant is, you can hear the people eating, talking, and passing by the hallway on their way out. I didn't get to sleep much because of that. :( However, the bed is comfy, the airconditioning is fully functioning, there's a TV (although we didn't use this), and an aparador (an antiquated closet) which has a mirror and hangers.

Breakfast = This is complimentary. You get to choose your own from the traditional Filipino, American (no cereal, just sandwiches), or inter-continental. My sister and I ordered the Vigan Longganiza meal and enjoyed the taste very much. For some reason, we like it better than the one served in Cafe Leona. Breakfast comes with juice, tea, or coffee.

Location = The hotel is only a block away from Calle Crisologo. Truth be told, you don't need to hire a calesa to get by. My sister and I were able to see most of the attractions on foot. There's a Leila's Cafe nearby which you have to try. There's also a sari-sari store close to the hotel which is where we bought our stash of mineral water (cheaper than if you buy at the grocery).

Staff = I don't think they know much about history so don't burden them with questions relating to those anymore as you can easily hire a guide. They're very friendly and can speak good English.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family