“Infested Rooms, Lie-to-Your-Face Staff - Dont let Touts bring you here!!!”

Mayadevi Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lumbini
Mayadevi Guest House
Ranked #16 of 21 Lumbini B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Our room, while at first looked clean, it turned out was *not*. The beds were infested with fleas & bedbugs, not to mention countless other winged and terrestrial creatures. We had inspected the beds upon arrival, but for some reason, the infestation didn't ramp up until around 10pm... maybe it was the light that attracted them? or they just woke up for a night of bloodsucking.

After complaining, (and actually showing the infestation to him) the reception guy agreed to move us to another room which was not as bad. The room was about half the size, and with no hot water, but it was 10pm, and he apologized and promised us a 'discount' for our 2 night stay. I should not have taken him at his word, but he seemed sweet and honest... always agree to exact dollar amounts ahead of time i learned! neither of the tv's (in either room) worked, but whatever... we didn't really care about tv anyway, though why they have them if theyre all broken is beyond me.

Long story short, the discount he offered when he rang up the bill was 0% for the first night, and 500rp for the second night (2500 --->2000 rp). I thought that was pretty egregious. we didn't (couldnt) even stay in the first room 1 night and he charged us anyway.

When I complained about the bill and mentioned that there wasn't even any hot water, he now 'denied' that fact, even though it was a fact he had apologized for the night before. Just a total crook.

I seriously thought momentarily about not paying the full bill, but I decided to just pay it and tell the story here...

STAY AWAY!!!!!!! BADDDD!!!!!

p.s. also - re the 'restaurant' - it was a single creepy guy upstairs. the curry was actually tasty, but the portion was put into something more the size of a coffee-cup that a plate or bowl. 3 bites. We would have just ordered more, but it took nnearly an hour to get THAT so we just went to our biscuit stash. the bill for it was expensive too. We learned our lesson and ate the rest of our meals OUT.

Room Tip: The best thing you can do to improve your stay here is to *not stay here*.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank daniel m

Reviewed July 8, 2012

The guy at the reception promised us over and over that the generator would provide us with power for the ceiling fan at the very least so we booked two rooms for two nights. On the first night we got food poisoning and on the second night there was no fan so we were forced to sleep outside and were eaten alive by mosquitoes. The two teenaged boys working there would much rather be someplace else and I can see why! A trip to beautiful Lumbini should be fully enjoyed which means allowing enough in your budget to stay in a nice hotel. Stay away from these gritty and grimy mosquito ridden rat trap guest houses.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank kathmandusue
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We enjoyed a double room with attached bathroom and fan and TV...air/con not required in March. Good safe rear parking for motorcycle and friendly reception staff and the room was clean. The restaurant upstairs seemed to be closed so next doors place was full every night with good Nepali, Indian and Continental food...close to all the temple complexes and gardens. A very relaxed stay here in Lumbini the birth place of Lord Buddha. Well worth a visit...

Room Tip: Staying at the back of the building maybe a little quieter but Lumbini itself is very a relaxed plac...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2012

So if you want to flush the toilet more than once you are out of luck and you can't wash your hands. They also seem to turn off the power during the day. Other hotels had power when theirs was off so no daytime wifi. They put me right above the generator which fortunately only came on for about 1/2 hour, When I asked for a different room away from the noise, they refused even though the place was almost empty. I left and went to the Sunflower around the corner. Slightly more expensive but worth it. One good thing, 2 meals I had at the restaurant were quite good although they tried to charge to fill my thermos with hot water which I have never seen in any of the many hotels and guest houses I have stayed at in the east.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ron B
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I have stayed in the Maya Devi Guest House for 4 nights. I initially intended to only stay for one night (being on my way from Kathmandu to Delhi), but then extended my stay, because I really enjoyed my time in Lumbini.

I am a bit surprised by the negative reviews, because my personal experience was absolutely the contrary. I really got along well with all of the staff and found them very helpful and friendly. I cannot say much about their language speaking abilities since I myself spoke Nepali with them all the time. They even helped me learn some new Nepali songs.

I slept so well. I loved the food - especially the Masala Tea was amazing - really :) And I loved my room: Clean (!!!) - Nice design with stuck on the ceiling.

Due to the load shedding schedules in Nepal there often is no electricity in Lumbini during the evening hours, but the hotel runs its own petrol-driven generator in the backyard. Which could be considered noisy, but on me had this amazing effect, of making me extremely sleepy. I usually am not a good sleeper, but I slept like a little baby.

I really enjoyed my days in Lumbini - meeting many inspiring, beautiful people in the compound and around the area. Having beautiful talks, enjoying the sunshine. And coming home in the evening to the Guest House was just a perfect fit to this experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We would like to strongly discourage anyone from going to this hotel, as we found it extremely loud and we found the hotel staff, especially the manager, very rude. We actually first came here when we saw some positive reviews on tripadvisor, but now we wonder if these reviews were legitimate as this place really wasn’t nice.

At first glance, the room isn’t too bad – bed and bathroom are o.k. The rooms are a little dark and the showers are cold unless there is extremely hot weather. The problem we had was with the really rude and strange hotel staff, especially the manager.

Despite telling him that we were heading to bed very early to get up for a full day of sightseeing in Lumbini, we were kept up late and almost all night as the manager and his drunk friends decided to party loudly right above our room. We even had to wake up and talk to him around 10:30pm to finally ask them to keep it down. The response wasn’t very positive, and although it was a little quieter after that, we still barely were able to sleep even through earplugs.

We checked out early the next morning and moved to the much better Buddha Bhoomi Lodge, and never got so much as an apology from the manager there. We also would like to caution anyone from booking anything through them, as they told us some very misleading information about how to best see the sights in and around Lumbini.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelbuggd_12
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Its a great hotel located just one block away from the main entrance to Mayadevi Temple's gateway. It has about 20 rooms but they are of diffeerent sizes.
It shows a very good view of lumbini. It is the perfect place tos stay.
There are shops all around the hotel.
I had gone there as a part of a field trip along with my friends.
It was a pleasure staying there.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends