All reviewsrooms are basic but cleanvillage toura great stayguest housejupiterbikebordermonasteries
Reviewed December 7, 2014

It's on the main street but not too noisy. The rooms are ugly, painted pink, ugly curtains, hard mattresses, kind of nasty bathrooms and wood print lino on the floors. The number of smashed bloody mosquito and black fly carcasses on the walls is impressive. They should wash them off. There are lots of mosquitos, but no mosquito nets. Also, no restaurant anymore. "The cook went away so we closed it." It kinds of stinks and there is an open sewer running out the back of it. It's just a cheap backpacker place and we didn't get bedbugs.

But with all that said, it's fairly cheap, the desk guy answers the phone, the staff seems nice, it's very close to the entrance of Lumbini, the rooms have fans. We changed rooms and in one of the two rooms we slept in, the fan even worked. No idea about the hot water because it's fairly cool now and none of us wanted to shower in the bathroom. They rent bikes.

There are certainly better places to stay here and I have no idea why The Lonely Planet would call this the best place in town. The place right across the street has a restaurant, nice staff and looks cleaner but we didn't see the rooms.

We've been eating at the Little Buddha Restaurant which is inside one of the bigger hotels just down the road. We would happily pay twice our current rate to stay there, but it's booked out. So, Lumbini Village Lodge it is. The whole town is booked out.

I would not stay here again. Lumbini is interesting though.

Room Tip: A good room? Ha ha. They are all the same.
  • Stayed: December 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank IMAdventures
Reviewed November 17, 2014

After a long day and a long drive, we followed a recommendation and lonely planet to this place. The best thing about the hotel is the staff, they were very nice, and very helpful, and accommodated our needs. It is very cheap, and has a friendly feel. It is ok for one night. It is very basic, the shower didn’t work at all and there was not hot water. The beds were ok for comfort. It would make a big difference to just put a new coat of paint on the walls of the rooms, and a little decoration. No complaints, basic for what was needed

• Stayed: October 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2014

We stayed some days in this place which is not "horrible" as expected by the reviews... it was clean, basic (and cheap!) ... all you need for some days in Lumbini. We had a double room with bathroom and everything was working and clean. One member of the staff offered to spray the room with bug-killer when you go out for dinner, and i bet lizards will eat any resistent mosquito; so bugs were not a problem at all. It had also a nice working fan. Internet works really slowly and power goes in and off but it's to expect in Nepal.

• Stayed: October 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2014

I stayed for a couple of nights, either side of a day visit to Lumbini.
The guesthouse is handy enough for Lumbini - though I wish I'd known before the owner did bike tours as another girl I met said it was great - I just walked about by myself.

The staff are very nice and helpful though, helping with onward travel and accommodation bookings, and will bring beers etc for you.

The room facilities were fine - it also has wifi, a couple of restaurants opposite to eat at (although you get dive bombed by grasshoppers), and it's quiet and peaceful.

Although Lumbini was very very hot, humid and mozzie-infested, it was the one place in Nepal I wished for an air con room! - the fan was fine when the electricity was working (though as it's Nepal it does cut).

The room was fine but renovation and modernisation would improve it hugely. I'm sure it was clean - just has that ground-in appearance after having not been decorated for a long time. I think Lumbini is crying out for a stand-out guesthouse, which would get all the business, and this could be it if the rooms were renovated.

Note the Rough Guide map isn't quite accurate for where the guesthouse and main road of Lumbini Bazar is compared to the main gateway - but it's only a couple of hundred metres walk to the entrance then a couple more to the secret garden.

• Stayed: October 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2014

Single person, stayed in double room for two nights. Room is good size but very basic with stained bed sheets. Communal shower/toilet had loads of mosquitoes in it I got bit every time I went in. Floor was always wet as tap was dripping. Windows in room didn't close properly either and grotty mosquito net over the bed. The family who run the hotel are nice enough and sorted me out a bus ticket. I spoke to people who stayed at other places for similar price but were lots nicer I can't remember names but you just have to go a bit further down the street.

• Stayed: August 2014