“Disappointing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lumbini
Lumbini Village Lodge
Toronto, Canada
“Disappointing”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This place came highly recommended by Lonely Planet, but it was a terrible disappointment.

The owner was a real business person, and I was asked to pay upfront and charged NPR750 for a night, with guarantees of wifi in the room and hot water. The wifi was only available on the ground floor, and hot water only scarcely available. The room was dark, with aged walls and torn flooring. The beds were hard and dirty, and there were lots of mosquitoes. The washroom was damp and dark. My room was situated on the third floor, just above the generator, which was loud and smelt of diesel burning. I've been to a few rough places during my backpacking through India/Nepal, but this was really the low point of accommodation. In the middle of the night, I left the Lumbini Village Lodge even though I already paid for the night and went to Buddha Boomi, which is close by, much cleaner and even cheaper!

The location is pretty good, as it is right inside the village and close to restaurants.
They do have a travel agency next door, which is part of the family business. The agency does provide helpful information and relatively competitive packages. I recommend bargaining hard to get the best deal-- especially the tours of the surrounding area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank airwei221

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Nieuw-Vennep, Holland
Reviewed December 29, 2012

This owner gives me a room, told me there is hot water but it wasn't.
My room was beside his family, whole night a lot of noise from baby etc..
I had to pay in advance, no problem but the man refused to give me a receipt.
Ethnical my appearance is as a Indian which iám not, this man ask me if i'am Brahman and
also if want to visit the birthplace of Bhuda i must say that iám an Indian so i can pay less.
I told him that is not my vision of life to lie. He was talking only of how rich he is.
This man miss the key value of life. On my last day when i left i ask him a receipt and he still
refused to give me one. So if you can avoid this dishonest place do it, there are a lot of good hotels
in the neighbourhood.
Rakieb
15-12-2012

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank IwanRakieb

Travelers are raving about these Lumbini hotels

Reviewed November 23, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here as it was advertised on both trip advisor and lonely planet as a good place to stay.
We still cannot understand why this was so.
We are rarely ones to complain, but the magnitude of problems made us.
Firstly the power was barely working the 2 nights we stayed there, despite the loud generator going all night. The hot water worked for a total of 10 minutes for the whole duration of our stay. We were given a flimsy blanket, which was barely enough to keep anybody warm. The advertised, "family run, friendly business" was not witnessed at all, rather we had trouble finding the staff on several occasions.
We were very shocked that the man quoted us Rs. 1000 for a hotel taxi to take us to our restaurant when, on deciding to save money and ride our bikes, we found that the ride was only 3 minutes long (a normal Nepali fare would be Rs.100)
To make matter worse we were organized a hotel taxi to take us to pokhara which we shared with another lady. We opted for the comfortable ride as we had been really slumming it for a few weeks, despite the price. Again, we were highly disappointed when taxi drivers in Pokhara quoted us prices so much less.
We were told we would be dropped off at our hotel, which we were never asked the location, so once we got to pokhara our taxi driver refused to drive us the extra 5 minute drive up a hill to our accommodation. Instead he lied to us telling us that the pokhara accommodation would pay, which they knew nothing about. After much fuss we settled on paying half the fee upwards, on top of our already overcharged expense.
We were then unpleasantly throwing up all night from the food poisoning we got from the breakfast place suggested by the hotel (a "friends" breakfast place).
Very disappointed in the service and treatment of this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
7 Thank abby1220
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I could have been better but you are talking about Lumbini a mini village with only with street with few hotels and places to eat (excluding expensive hotels outside the main area).
The lodge had a patio with terrace and tables+chairs. We did enjoy the time in the lodge as there was no much to do in Lumbini. Clean and nice service. But sure you let them know your arrival time on the same day cos they may give you room to other people after 6pm (it happened to us the first night).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This lodge is recommended in the Rough Guide, but I would rather skip it. The rooms are awfully overpriced. We had no sheets, towels, toilet paper or whatsoever and paid 650 rupees for a dirty room. Moreover, there is a kid that is constantly crying, and there are very lengthy power and water(!!) cuts. Better find another lodge or guesthouse!

• Stayed October 2012
5 Thank TravelKv
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed at village lodge for three nights, and it was well worth it! A very nice budget place to stay, run by a friendly and generous family; the manager helps the neighbouring poor village people out a lot by helping getting donations, building schools etc. The rooms were ok, a nice shower and fan, and the location on the main street is wonderful. Also, if you need any information, prepare to find out everything you wanted to know about lumbini and more by just asking!

Vince and Sara

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vincent p
Bern
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stayed 5 nights at Lumbini Village Lodge in May. I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The family who runs this hotel is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are totally ok for the price. The bed is clean, bathrooom and floor were not spotless clean, but still ok. I slept there very good and enjoyed my stay a lot.

Room Tip: You should chose a room upstairs, not at groundfloor