Lumbini Village Lodge
Hotel Nirvana(Lumbini)
Hotel Stupa(Lumbini)
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsrooms are basic but cleana great stayguest housejupiterbikebuddhistborderbirthplacepilgrims
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 23, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a simple, clean hotel with hot water :P in this peaceful, lovely town.......... this was the 2nd place we saw and are SO happy we stayed here!

Other reviews are right when they say the family that owns and runs this hotel is wonderful, kind, helpful and one of the nicest hoteliers I ever met in Nepal!

The rooms are CLEAN and bright, and bathrooms are also very clean, with HOT water (owner will advise of the best times for showering, as they have solar only). They say it's "bucket shower" only, but we found the low shower faucet to be high enough to improvise a real shower. LOL. (we were there in "winter" so I'm sure the summer season should be even better) - just be flexible as to when you bathe and you will do fine.

The balcony overlooking the main street is quite peaceful and has tables and chairs and LOTS of nice plants for relaxing! Internet works great on balconies, less so in the room, but I imagine some rooms have better reception than others.

Really good for me was the lighting in the room - Nepal budget hotels with power back up (for the inevitable MANY power cuts in Nepal, for those who don't know......) - most hotels have horrible bare bulb fixtures for the back up but this place has lovely tinted glass sconces/covers on their fixtures, giving a very night light! A rare treat in Nepal! Bravo!

Yes, the walls had a few spots where a coat of paint would help, and in our room (the only one with a double bed that I saw in this hotel!) had a bit of crumbling on the outside of the bathroom step, but Hey, people, for the price, this place is very nice! This is Nepal! If you want a place that is painted every year, and perfect plumbing, be prepared to pay more than $10 a night! Come on!

I found the peach colored walls to be cheerful, and the courtyard and balconies were pleasant.... some may find the walls a bit much, colorwise, but relax and enjoy it. This is a peaceful, quiet oasis in the chaos of some other towns in Nepal......... VERY LITTLE traffic and a mellow energy. We stayed 2 days longer than we planned.

Oh, one note........ the ATM machines were not working for the type of card we had and the owner loaned my husband some money until we were able to get cash. How can you beat that?!

I recommend this place heartily!

Room Tip: the rooms in the back are surely more quiet, tho be prepared for some generator noise during power cuts. If you get the room with the double bed, and it sags in the middle, take the mattress to the floor, it's MUCH better. We did, and got a great night sleep! Sounds crazy but it works.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2012

I spent 2 nights at this great guesthouse in Lumbini, Nepal on-route to India. The owner is one of the nicest men I met in the month I spent in Nepal and provided us helpful information on visiting the Buddhist temples and booked our taxi to the border for us. Located right on the main road within only a few minutes walk to the main sites, restaurants and internet cafe was ideal. Our room and attatched bathroom was clean and the beds were comfortable enough. The morning I left the hotel I realized later that day I had forgotten my camera in our room. By some miracle the owner had found the camera and was holding on to it for me when I called him from India. After giving him my home address I am so so grateful that he was honest and kind enough to ship it to me, there are not very many people who would go to that effort under the circumstances. This man and his family will treat you like Lumbini Village Lodge is your home. Namaste and thanks to Lumbini Village Lodge!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2012

This is listed as a Lonely planet pick, so of course it was full of people carrying around the tome. For those who didn’t have one, the reception area stocked used ones for purchase. The staff was friendly enough but the rooms really weren’t much. I was 1st shown a tiny single with stained walls and dim lighting that was a bit scary, so wound up paying more for an upper level twin room. It was brighter, but still had stained walls, a shower with water that wasn’t freezing, but never reached hot, and ants everywhere. Sheets were worn. There were no amenities. No toilet paper or soap, though if you asked, they would supply a towel. The entire feel of the place was a bit dingy. If this is the lonely planet pick, I’d be afraid to stay at any of the places lonely planet skipped over. As a budget hotel, even by nepali standards, this place really doesn’t have much to recommend itself.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank worldtraveller008
Reviewed January 16, 2012

We stayed in Lumbini Village Lodge for two nights. The manager, his father and brother were very helpful. The room is in need of a good scrub (e.g. there are thick layers of dust on the lights and fan) and the toilet needs a good scrub. As other reviewers have already stated - there are plenty of mosquitoes and no hot water! However, we had a mosquito net and earplugs, the mattress was comfortable and we had wifi. We were only in the room for the evenings so it wasn't uncomfortable.

We hear that the Lumbini Garden Lodge next door is the same price but it has hot water and no wifi. For 200NR more, go to the Buddha Boomi Guest Lodge - it has wifi AND hot water.

Alternatively, for 600NR including three meals, stay at the Korean monastery inside the compound. Be prepared for a super thin mattress on a concrete block.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Earthpilgrims
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Dirty. Cold water. High priced transport. Loud. Beds hard as rocks. Mosquitoes. Would you stay here? We left and went next door for better value.

It's ok if you are used to camping, this a one step except more like a tent with 4 concrete walls.

This hotel needs a touch up and better prices for what it offers.

Room Tip: Try another place. We heard Maya Devi is good but slightly more expensive but worth it.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple