All reviews birds chirping life changing learn how other guests hot shower dr chintamani guru classes teacher teaching body practice students philosophy hike namaste
Reviewed June 25, 2016

I started the Yoga teacher training in May 2016 and quit after 12 days. My main reasons to quit were big question marks about the cleanliness of food and water as well as problems with the teaching style of Dr. Chintamani.

After two days I got sick for more than a week which seriously affected my yoga practice. At least two third of the other participants also struggled with stomach issues. Three of them (from a total of 12) suffered from normal to high fevers within the first 12 days of the program. Dr. Chintamani tried to explain these cases by claiming that we were not used to the Nepalese spices and that our bodies release toxins as a consequence of the intense yoga practice. Both these explanations didn't appear too convincing to me, especially since I've already practiced yoga and meditation for two months in Nepal before coming to the Nepal Yoga Retreat.

As for the teaching, I was also rather disappointed. The theory classes (yoga philosophy and anatomy) were not very well structured and the presentation and argumentation style didn't appeal to me at all. Also, the yoga classes were very different from everything that I experienced up to this point. My main worry here was that there was very limited attention to health issues. There were barely any instructions on how to position our knees or shoulders in order to avoid injuries. Furthermore, there was an extreme high number of intense back bends which didn't seem very healthy. Lastly, the corrections of Dr. Chintamani were quite rough. At one point he even hurt one of the students to a degree that she couldn't finish the class. All of these aspects could probably also be seen as proof of how traditional and real the yoga practice is in this center. But for me personally and for many others in my group it wasn't a very good fit.

On the positive side there is the beautiful and clean center, a nice view, friendly caring staff and the high energy in Dr. Chintamani's yoga classes.

However for me personally, the downsides were to severe to recommend this center to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2016, traveled solo
2  Thank Nico T
DrChintamani, Manager at Nepal Yoga Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2016

- Dear Nico ,
- Thank you for taking your time to feedback Nepal Yoga Academy and Retreat. We value this service, as we work hard to improve our service whilst at the same time work hard to support people like you looking to bring positive change into your life through yoga. We’re glad you appreciate the learning you gained in your time with us.
- We’re sorry that you fell ill. Its unfortunate that people sometimes fall ill, when living in such close proximity, whilst simultaneously adjusting to the new environment, altitude, new foods and working so hard. On the rare occasion this does happen, we offer both Ayurvedic and Western Medicines, as treatment and a strict change of diet to speed your recovery. As with all medical treatments, we can only recommend and provide the facilities but must leave it to the individual to take action for themselves.
- Any attempt at initial diagnosis is meant well and comes from experience of working with foreign students for the past 2 years and we have trusted medical practitioners for you to see. All our students graduate strong and healthy with a great sense of achievement.
- The style of yoga we promote and teach at Nepal Yoga Academy, is Sanatan (or Classical) Yoga. Its a powerful tool in self discovery and learning, bringing us back to the original principles and teachings of yoga. The course can be demanding but with great benefits for a potential new teacher as it is comprehensive, more than just a yoga class. Its physical but designed with proven experience of over thousands of years and refined by great gurus and at the best Classical Yoga Universities, in the world.
- Since your early departure, we have developed and are implementing a more comprehensive and better structured ‘Anatomy, Physiology and Yoga’ syllabus with strong positive feedback. We are also improving our philosophy syllabus to meet more modern adult learning standards.
- We appreciate your regard for my own teaching skills developed over my 15 years of teaching plus 20 years of personal practice. I feel it is a blessing and long term, joyful responsibility to teach teachers.
- As experienced practitioners, we understand and respect every student’s physical and psychological limitations. The person you mentioned was able to complete her course, strong and fully fit, as did all 11 of your classmates but I’m sure they appreciate your concern.
- It is unfortunate that sometimes people do receive small injuries during practice however, we take care and discuss any potential injuries, during orientation and as teaching points throughout training. We care about every individual and keep safety as our priority.
- We thank you for appreciating our beautiful spaces up here on the lip of the Kathmandu Valley. These peaceful surroundings support our quest to develop teachers and for guests to find a place to rest. We hope did too.
- We wish you well on your journey through your yoga sadhana.
- Namaste.
Chat conversation end

Reviewed June 14, 2016

I joined 8 Days Yogic Detox Retreat at Nepal Yoga Retreat and this was one of the best decision I have ever made for my body. Having practicing yoga for couple of years and having to live in one of the busiest city in the world, my body craved for an intense yet relaxing yoga experience. Dr. Chintamani, our guru was very helpful, polite, informative and patient from the time I sent my inquiry. I really like the way he talk and teach - he is very approachable. The place was amazing and very clean. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The retreat itself was amazing. I got to have tasty vegetarian foods, excellent yoga and breathing practices as well as beneficial cleansing techniques. This is the retreat that everyone should take at least once in a lifetime!

• Stayed: June 2016, traveled solo
2  Thank Angel K
Reviewed May 24, 2016 via mobile

Go a little bit outside of Kathmandu and you can find the Paradies. The yogacenter is surrounded by a peaceful and pure enviroment. Perfect place für doing Yoga.
The Teachertraining was a lovely experience, especially the 2 teachers are really nice and humerous. I really enjoyed the classes. I often struggled but with my other yogis I could share my problems and could laugh a lot. Especially the staff was super friendly. They always took care of us.
The only thing I didn't liked that the people from the retreat joined our classes. It is nice to meet other people, but sometimes It was interrupting the flow. But don't worry guys they will open a retreat center soon. So you can enjoy your classes without any disturbances.
I am really glad that I have done this.

Stayed: January 2016, traveled solo
1  Thank LisaHaha90
Reviewed May 14, 2016 via mobile

We were at yoga retreat for 3 days. Great place outside of depressing kathmandu located at green hill near telkot. Proffesional service. The yoga classes were really nice. prices are afordable. Also We are strong meat lover but their vegetarian Food was fantastic.

Stayed: May 2016, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mateusz W
Reviewed May 9, 2016

First of all, the place is so beautiful, away from the noise of Kathmandu. It was a nice way to take a break from my internship, the place is very peaceful, rooms are really nice and comfortable. And food was really good, super healthy vegetarian food, it was delicious.

• Stayed: November 2015, traveled solo