All reviews excellent location top floor square gate tourists
Reviewed August 1, 2010

We just loved the location. Central and with great views over Durbar Square. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. They even chilled our beer glasses when we ordered in advance. Cold beer on a steamy day with a magnificent outlook.

Bhaktapur is a gem, laid back like Khatmandu of old. It would be great to revisit and to stay again at The Shiva Guest House.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2010

I traveled for months through India, Nepal and Thailand, and Shiva Guesthouse was on my top stays of my entire trip. The place is amazing, I stayed in Shiva Guesthouse 1 where I got the beautiful view of Durbar square every morning.
Unlike many places in Nepal, Shiva Guesthouse was 100% reliable with the hot water and their generator. The place was clean and the food in the restaurant was one of the best of the city...and I tried almost all of them!
The staff was amazing, incredibly friendly and helpful.
The beds were perfectly clean and comfortable!
Theres no negatives of this place. When I go back to Backtapur there is no question in my mind that I will stay there.
I Highly recommend Shiva Guesthouse

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 4, 2010

Great hotel in the center of Bhaktapur with kind people and very good meal. I can recomend everyone.
Kamil&Pavla Czech Republic

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2010

Location: Hotel was very convenient to see attractions especially if you want to wander around the temples at dawn- an alarm clock isn't necessary as the temple bells wake you up!

Room: Clean and bright. Also had great views over the square- I've never stayed in a room so close to a temple before.

Service: It was nice as it was family owned- I got the impression that they really enjoyed being hoteliers. Staff were friendly & helpful

I was informed that a second Shiva guest house had opened (only saw the lobby and I didn't see any of their rooms) it also looked like a good choice.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed December 6, 2009

Before putting my comments on Shiva Guest House, I want to mention that, in time, I have been in 22 European Cities and 16 other cities in developing countries. This may be a reference about me for some people to better evaluate this review...

Shiva Guest House, as the name suggests, is not a hotel. It is like a village house made mostly up of wood and with 3 floors. It is not like what we are familiar with European hotels... However, it is a great place to feel the atmosphere of Kathmandu. You can stay in a 5 star hotel and visit Bakhtapur for an hour, but definitely you will understand nothing about the soul of Kathmandu. It was a great experience for me to stay there, see day and night, hear sounds coming from temples and praying people. Being in such a place makes you feel that you are in another world...For what other reason you are going to Kathmandu?

We stayed in Shiva 3 nights. For the photographers, I strongly recommend room #303. It has a great view (I am adding a photo that I took through my window). #303 has its own bathroom (some rooms doesn't have, you must use one of shared bathrooms).

It is not as clean as other 5 star hotels but clean enough to stay several days. Bed and sheets were quite OK.

People are very kind, friendly, very helpful and organizing everything easily for you.

(We have attended a 1 hour Everest Flight with Buddha Air and 1 day Bungee Jumping tour near Tibetan border.)

Meals are quite OK. We ate there all that 3 nights.

I will strongly recommend Shiva Guest House to all my friends and everybody who is planning to visit Kathmandu.

Namik Kemal Gunel