“Great Location - to feel the Soul of Kathmandu”

Shiva Guest House1 & 2
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Bhaktapur
Reviewed December 6, 2009

Before putting my comments on Shiva Guest House, I want to mention that, in time, I have been in 22 European Cities and 16 other cities in developing countries. This may be a reference about me for some people to better evaluate this review...

Shiva Guest House, as the name suggests, is not a hotel. It is like a village house made mostly up of wood and with 3 floors. It is not like what we are familiar with European hotels... However, it is a great place to feel the atmosphere of Kathmandu. You can stay in a 5 star hotel and visit Bakhtapur for an hour, but definitely you will understand nothing about the soul of Kathmandu. It was a great experience for me to stay there, see day and night, hear sounds coming from temples and praying people. Being in such a place makes you feel that you are in another world...For what other reason you are going to Kathmandu?

We stayed in Shiva 3 nights. For the photographers, I strongly recommend room #303. It has a great view (I am adding a photo that I took through my window). #303 has its own bathroom (some rooms doesn't have, you must use one of shared bathrooms).

It is not as clean as other 5 star hotels but clean enough to stay several days. Bed and sheets were quite OK.

People are very kind, friendly, very helpful and organizing everything easily for you.

(We have attended a 1 hour Everest Flight with Buddha Air and 1 day Bungee Jumping tour near Tibetan border.)

Meals are quite OK. We ate there all that 3 nights.

I will strongly recommend Shiva Guest House to all my friends and everybody who is planning to visit Kathmandu.

Namik Kemal Gunel
nkgunel@yahoo.com

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 14, 2009

It's a very friendly and familiar place to feel well! Also the place around is perfect to feel and see the city life! The service and kitchen is very good!
A lot of ideas and creativities will grow this House, I know!
When I was there as a girl alone, all the time the whole familiy took big care of me. So I felt very confidenced of travelling alone. If I needed something, I knew, I'm not alone with the help of this second family ;)!
My first way for the next Nepal visit goes straight to Shiva Guest House!!!
I'm happy to visit it again!
Big hugs!
Selina

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed October 17, 2009

Very good value for the money and located right on the Durbar Square which is the finest Square in Nepal. Ask for a room facing the Square. I had a great Dhal Bhat supper which is the national dish of Nepal. The rooms are fairly basic but clean and functional.It is well worth staying a night or two as the town has remained very traditional. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 23, 2009

Initially I planned to stay for two nights then head out to Kathmandu & Patan. After the first night, I decided to stay for the rest of my trip.

Ask for Room 303, which will give you the best exclusive view of Durbar Square, although you might find it a bit noisy at night especially when the street dogs are fighting, this is part of the culture isn't it?

The room is clean and cozy w/ attached bathroom. It took me a while to figure out how to use the gas water heater, but everything worked out just fine. Excellent value.

Kalaish and the staffs were extremely warm and helpful, which made me feel home instantly.

Don't forget to check out the views from the roof top.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 19, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the new Shiva Guesthouse No 2. It is a newer building right outside the gate of Baktapur. The rooms are clean and bright. Good water pressure in the showers and you are very close to the sights. Unfortunately, power is only available certain times of the day depending on the goverment. Each room does have a battery power light to walk but when the power is out, there is no way to charge up your batteries. Otherwise it is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jopyEdmonton_Canada
Reviewed November 11, 2008

The guesthouse is right in the center of Bhaktapur, rooms with great view on Durbar Square. Breakfast at rooftop with excellent view on city and Himalaya's. In times of festivals quite noisy in rooms at frontside. The guys really make you feel at home. The owner, Shurries, is very proud of the Newarie Culture and welcomed us to participate in all kinds of familypuja's. Food is delicious.

• Stayed: October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank iesja
Reviewed November 16, 2006

My friend and i visited Bhaktapur for a few days, during our 3 week visit to Nepal in Oct/Nov06.

The Shiva Hotel is situated directly on Durbar Square, as you enter the gates to the city.

We were able to secure a room immediately, which was very spacious and immaculate, and being a front room, we had a fantastic view acrosss Durbar Square and the amazing various temples which stand upon it.

The staff were very friendly and this was reflected in the relaxed and fun atmosphere which existed, especially at evening meals.

I would highly recommend a stay at the Shiva, the service and food they provide is second to none.

Bhaktapur is a truly amazing ancient city to visit.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
9  Thank ju.dawn6
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bhaktapur
Planet Bhaktapur Hotel
#3 of 207 in Kathmandu
Peacock Guest House
Peacock Guest House
#1 of 60 in Bhaktapur

Been to Shiva Guest House1 & 2? Share your experiences!