All reviews excellent location top floor square nepal gate tourists history
Reviewed October 30, 2011

A very cosy home right in the center of Bhaktapur! From a clean room you can sit at the window and watch Durbar Square getting dark and misterious with the warm lights on the temples. Very good food, extremly nice and helpful owners and personnel and reasonable prices make your stay a wonderful experience in this beautiful town!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
kailashdhaubanjar, Manager at Shiva Guest House1 & 2, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2011

we are very much proud that you are well satisfied ,and that is our motto.
looking forward to see you again in our establishment.

Reviewed October 27, 2011

Great location, just outside Durbar Square, although noisy. The neighborhood stays awake late & rises very early! After traveling around Nepal, you get used to pretty miserable beds (as in rock hard), & these were no exception. The room was a decent size, however, and pretty clean. The toilet didn't work very well, but the shower did, & there was plenty of hot water. The staff were very friendly, helpful & responsive. Free Wi-Fi & internet. They served a great breakfast, probably the best we had in Nepal. They do not have a full restaurant, so we walked across Durbar square to Shiva-I for dinner. We had heard it was very good from other travelers, but I'm afraid I must disagree. My meal was terrible. Inedible, actually. "Chicken Stroganoff", which had virtually no chicken, but a fair amount of chicken bones, and the sauce was a very heavy white sauce that was like wall paper paste. I couldn't eat it. My sister had soup which she said was good, but also full of bones. Shiva-1 is an even better location, right on Durbar Square, & the restaurant was very cozy, but I would definitely recommend going elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

thank you very much for your feedback.
we apologize for your unsatisfaction. and we will obiviously take feedback strictly.

Reviewed October 25, 2011

I should say that Shiva GH has the most excellent location and itself could be considered as part of the durbar square. Rooms not spacious but clean. Food tastes good but really cheap. Though only there for one day, I would miss my time in Bhaktapur all my life.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I have been in Nepal for three weeks and I spent two nights in the Shiva guest house 1: it was definitely the best accommodation I tried during my stay! Cheap, very clean (this is quite an exception in Nepal), good food, good service (personnel speak a good English), nice rooms. It has wonderful view on durbar square: make sure the room you reserve is in front of Durbar and you will probably never forget your stay at shiva!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 19, 2011

I stayed for several days in this hotel in late November 2010, after having spent several weeks hiking and climbing in Tibet. Despite the high trekking season in Nepal, a single room was available. I was given room 307(?), which enjoyed a post card view of Durbar Square. Due to strict traffic laws, there are no noisy vehicles (except the odd moto) in the heritage zone to ruin the ambience. Just the everyday sounds of people strolling by and school kids playing. However, a particularly loud snorer occupied the room next to mine; what an ordeal to endure. My room did not have an en suite bathroom as the other rooms on the floor, but the bathroom and separate shower in the common area of the third floor was available. The downstairs eatery was usually lively, with both hotel guests and daytrippers from Kathmandu. I partook of their breakfasts on two occasions. The menu was quite varied, and the food very tasty. All in all, Bhaktapur and the hotel made for a relaxing recuperation after the rigors of Tibet. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo