“Come on”

Ranked #35 of 55 Bhaktapur B&B and Inns
Toulouse, France
“Come on”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I spent 1 week in the Sunny Guest House in Bhaktapur. good restaurant, beautiful rooms, and beautifull staff. I recommend this hotel to all people of passage to Bahktapur. I shall return without hesitating in this establishment.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
San Benedetto del Tronto, Marche, Italy
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I spent many days in the Sunny Guest House, because I've been in Bhaktapur twice. Lovely city, it becomes a paradise at the sunrise and at the sunset. The Sunny Guest House has been my home: very friendly, great hospitality, they provided for me everything I need. Food was great, and having breakfast on the roof is one of the best moment you can enjoy in all Nepal, looking at the busy square down there......

Room Tip: If you don't like the sound of the bells from the temple, it's better a room away from the s...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
SunnyCafe, Manager at Sunny Guest House, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Thank you for your review . We put sound proof window in your nice room may be see you next time with noise less room.. Thank you once again Ganesh
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I spent two weeks altogether in Bhaktapur. Sunny Guesthouse is a place that will stay in my heart for many reasons:
1: The staff is awesome, they like to learn french, german, and are extremely helpful (helping to get a taxi, guide, general information, visits near bhaktapur) welcoming, and honest. It took me about two days to feel as if I had always lived there. They helped me in a lot of ways, and I appreciated the fact that they do it without expecting anything back.
2: The view from the terrace is the best you can have. Eating outside is like being between earth & sky, the atmosphere is really special.
3: Food has always been great, at a fair price. In two weeks, I hardly tried the whole menu, never being disappointed.
4: The rooms are "upper class" at a nepali level, with a Newari style. Great comfort.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
SunnyCafe, Manager at Sunny Guest House, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We always fell very happy when we were able to provide you a warm hospitality and we always try our best...Thank you GANESH
Bhaktapur, Nepal
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This guest house is honestly a sunshine under the guest houses in Bhaktapur. Clean, with modern rooms established in tradtional newari style. You can enjoy the helpfulness and warmth from the people, who are working there, as much as the worth seeing view from the rooftop restaurant.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
SunnyCafe, Manager at Sunny Guest House, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for your review.
This is a great oppertunity to inform all our well wisher and our clients that we always try to provide our warm hospitality.
Sunny Guest House is in one of the best square of Bhaktapur. It is little noisy because of the square and around temple.We have a sound proof windows in front side room which will minimise the noise...thank you Ganesh
Vancouver BC
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed here because Lonely Planet recommended it. We found that the price for a room was four times what we should have paid for a room of that quality, judging on our other stays in Kathmandu and Nepal. The restaurant was good and the servers were friendly, but we left early feeling ripped off. I would not stay here again because of the poor price for value. Although, the rooms were decent and had nice views.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Marton, New Zealand
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I booked this hotel based on the Lonely Planet positive review, my experience however was less than satisfactory. I stayed in room 104 on 7 Dec 2012, and one night was quite enough! The room faces Taumadhi Square and contained 2 double beds with bathroom facilites. Inside the charming ornate windows, a ranch slider has been installed to cut down the noise of the hustle and bustle of life going on in the square. Unfortunately it is not effective, as the many worshipers past the Nyatapola temple they ring the bell - this goes on all night. The hotels lights which are located right outside this room are left on all night but the thin curtains are not effective to cut the light. I hung towels over the windows in an effect to cut the light. All in all I had a sleepless night.
The private bathroom facilites are small and not particular clean with the room flooding after a shower, it is backed by a thin wall onto the hall 'guest' toilet / bathroom of which ventilated into my bathroom. This 'guest' bathroom was in constant use by the staff and I was subject with the human odours and noise coming thru the adjoining ventilation vent.
I had a evening meal at the hotel, it was 'so so', certainly wouldnt have been tempted to dine there again. I aired my comments and the staff who granted a small discount - still my advice is to find somewhere else

Room Tip: If you want to have a good nights sleep dont book a Square facing room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
SunnyCafe, Manager at Sunny Guest House, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Namaste from Nepal
Thank you for your review.First i want to inform you that we are in world heritage site and Bhaktapur is the place of devotees.So obiously the square will be noisy even we have a sound proof windows.The noise of bells in the mornig from temple we cant stop.But any way thank you for your stay with us.And hope to see you again with noise less room.Thank you
London
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Lonely Planet is way off the mark on this one. My advice would be to save some money and stay at one of the many guest houses in the same area (encircling Taumadhi Square).

Pros:
Location, although it is by no means exclusive as the Sunny Guest House shares the square with about 5 others

Cons:
Loud, both inside and outside the guest house
Poorly fitted rooms and bathrooms (bathroom seat not attached; one if those shower heads that sprays everywhere except at you)

If this place were half the cost, I'd say go for it if you have ear plugs. I expect they've taken advantage of the traffic generated by being a Lonely Planet Top Pick and as a result have not invested in the up keep of the premise. Some of the new guest houses in the area are likely to deliver much better value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo