“Excellent location”

Ranked #15 of 28 Hotels in Bodh Gaya
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
“Excellent location”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This hotel is located within walking distance of the Mahabodhi Temple & The Bodi Tree where Lord Buddha gained enlightenment, though there are plenty of Rickshaws (Manual & Motor) if you prefer a ride.

There is a shop in the lobby where you can buy Pashminas if you prefer not to bargain outside.

The restaurant is good with very attentive staff and excellent food.

The rooms are clean and comfortable, though there were the normal complement of insects due in part to the slightly ill fitting door to the balcony.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Andy H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed here for two nights and found the hotel in good working order and staff had gone the extra mile to make the hotel feel like a 5-star western hotel (although the room fittings while nice are not quite at that level).
It is a km or two out of the centre of town but it would be easy to grab a rickshaw. We walked the distance a number of times with our 8-year old daughter so it was not a problem.
Overall I would highly recommend the hotel for families or people wanting a room a cut above the run of the mill Indian offerring.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Stevejlewis
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed July 4, 2012

A Good place to stay on a pilgrimage, very courteous & helpful staff,they even made the "Special MilkRice" for the offering, we had a good room, & the food was very good, its easy to get to the main temple @ Bodhgaya,

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank DilrukshiH
hong kong
Reviewed March 1, 2012

We had the suite so it was a really nice stay for us. The location of the hotel is good. The lobby area, the lift, the stairs and corridors are clean and bright. Our room was very clean with two bathrooms. It was quite and we had an open view of the monastry near by. There were bottles of complimentry waters, flat screen tv and clean towels. The lunch, dinner and breakfast we had at the hotel restaurant was great!

Room Tip: Take the suite!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank sherpafamilyhk
c
Reviewed February 24, 2012

overall it was awesome stay in this hotel. the one i like that is the way staff hotel treated me that was the dignity i received from this hotel for me it was my pleasur..honour.the rooms was very good, fod of the restaurant was awesome service was excellent ...front office was too cooperatve to me ..they always suggested me how to roam or know aobut the place of bodhgaya..

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank feena132
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I stayed here just for one night in November. Chose the hotel because I got in at 7.30pm (too late to go the the monastery I'd planned on staying at), and the Lonely Planet quoted the price as 2500-2800rupee for a single room and their own website quotes 2800rupee. The actual price for a single room is 4500rupee... quite a big difference!!!
Then, the room. The aircons, whilst they are the old style and should therefore be individually controlled, are actually centrally controlled. Extremely loud and also extremely cold. The bathroom was dirty which can be expected in India but not when you're paying nearly $90 for a room. Tried to have a shower in the morning but only a dribble came out.
Wifi is ridiculously expensive too. Be aware that if you purchase the 1 hour card, you need to use the whole hour at the same time... something they will not advise you.
Really could not recommend this hotel. Save your money and have a more pleasand stay at Mohammed's House (the new building) or one of the monasteries for only 500rupee... you get showers at these :)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
14 Thank ATraveller16

Travelers are raving about these Bodh Gaya hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 26, 2011

I have booked "A/C Deluxe Room" with cleartrip as they offered the best price.

We arrived to hotel in the early afternoon, quickly checked-in and then went to see Main Temple. Unfortunately hotel is quite a distance from the centre of Bodh Gaya. Of course you can take a taxi or rickshaw, but being foreign tourist it is almost guaranteed that there they will try to cheat you and charge like for a limo transfer. Anyway...

Our room was with two separate beds and if that was Deluxe room, I honestly don't want to know, how Standard room looks like. We had lovely view from our windows over rubbish left in the hotel grounds. I really didn't like it. For the price I paid I expected much more. First quite annoying thing was our luggage delivery. First of all we could carry it these few meters by ourselves, but they needed to send two guys to do so. I understand that everybody wants to get some tips, but that was almost like begging for that. And then another guy with welcome drink. Fine, could live with that...

As you can easily see on the photos room wasn't the best. And this is very diplomatic opinion. Actually room was terrible. Walls were dirty - key holder (to have energy in the room) was absolutely disgusting. Easy and simple wash should help.

The same was in the bathroom. Or maybe even worst. I was actually quite afraid to use shower (I had my slippers so I've managed somehow). I didn't want to take more pictures to make even sadder picture. Toiletries (soap and shampoo) in the bathroom were terrible - take your own - that's my advice. Towels were greyish, but that happens in India quite often.

We moved one of the beds and on the floor you could actually find sticky old dirt. These beds weren't moved for good few months and obviously it wasn't cleaned under.

There was A/C machine which had some broken parts. It was extremely noisy and you couldn't sleep with that. You could use fan, which was making 'tuk-tuk-tuk-tuk-noise' every 1,5 second. Just lovely. Still it was quite difficult to sleep because of huge amount of different insects, flies and mosquitoes. I was wondering where they are coming from. I know that in this climate everything is possible, but this was exceptional. In the bathroom there was big hole in the wall as ventilation - that was the way they were coming in. We've stayed in 10 different places in India and that never happened. At one stage I went to reception and asked to do something with it. I've got an insecticide. That helped but I would honestly to avoid such treatment for them and for myself (as we need to sleep in this room). Reception guy just said that these are only flies and they are not harmful. I don't care - they bite me and I hate that. Thank you for advice.

Flat screen TV was there, but wiring was made definitely by some really experienced electrician or designer. Just look at the pic :).

Luckily hotel was quite empty and I cannot really imagine it with a lot of people. You could hear absolutely everything from the corridor. I did have an impression that you can open room door just kicking them. I didn't feel safe leaving any valuables inside.

Internet is not payable extra and it was definitely overpriced. Price adequate for 5* hotel, not for secondary class hotel.

There was only thing I liked about this hotel. ONLY ONE. Restaurant for dinner. They have very good selection of Indian meals and we've ordered few of them. Every single item was absolutely great and amazing. We had to wait a little bit, but that was acceptable. Only waiter was dreadful. I think that was his first day as other, older guy was looking at him and guiding him what, where and what. Definitely he should show him how to pour beer into glass not to have it in half of table... Anyway dinner was fabulous and we found prices were fair for the quality of food served.

Breakfast was different story. With empty room we had to wait 20 min for our breakfast. Set menu, which was egg omelette, coffee/tea, toast, small glass of juice and the most artificial jam I've ever tasted. I think breakfast was prepared by completely different staff.

We checked-out in the morning and left to see temples again. Reception staff was helpful enough to keep our luggage (in reception, not even room, visible to all guests). When we came back we asked how much they would charge for transfer to the GAY airport. It was 7x higher than street price (which was probably overpriced anyway).

As you can see, I was quite happy that we stayed there only few hours.

Room Tip: I hope other rooms are better than ours.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple