“Noisy but Nice”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Mt. Pleasant
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Reviewed March 13, 2012

We stayed here in late February for a hockey tournament. Quick check-in with friendly staff. This hotel has a pool for the kids and decent continental breakfast in the morning. It’s right next to a Bennigans Restaurant which delivers to the rooms.

It’s right next to the College. Lots of younger people and all partying until early morning. Walls are thin and heard them out in the hallways all night running, drinking and fighting. Only one very young and scared girl working the desk at night. Our team did not get much sleep and did not play well the following morning.

Room Tip: Ask if any groups are staying during the time you will be there
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
AmandaLC, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Mt. Pleasant, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us. I’m glad you found our service to be friendly and efficient, and It’s great to hear you took advantage of our amenities while staying with us. We will be adding hot breakfast items to our breakfast bar in early 2013! We welcome all tournaments to town and truly enjoy all of the teams the tournaments bring with them. But, at times, it does get noisy with all of the traffic coming in and out of the hotel. We have implemented quite hours during those busy weekends when large groups are staying with us. Upon you return to Mt Pleasant, I hope you choose to return to the Fairfield Inn & Suites and once again thank you for your feedback!

There are newer reviews for Fairfield Inn & Suites Mt. Pleasant

Reviewed March 7, 2012

Overall -- This is a great Location if you are experiencing CMU. It is very close to the football stadium and some local restaurants.

Service -- Most of the staff is college students, and while I had a decent experience I would assume that that there might be some inconsistencies in the overall service levels depending on who and when you get the staff.

Value -- I paid a decent rate for a King Size Bed room. Though, in comparison to other Mt. Pleasant Hotels it was probably pretty high.

Sleep Quality -- This is a typical Fairfield Inn, with the bed covers thin and the mattress more like a rock than a pillow. The refrigerator was extremely loud and the first night I actually had to unplug it.

Cleanliness -- It was very clean and tidy.

Location -- Perfect location for experiencing CMU. It is on the south side of campus located near the football stadium.

Rooms -- Overall the rooms were very typical of a Fairfield Inn. Decent value, but maybe priced a little high for Mt. Pleasant.

Overall Thoughts -- If you need a room while you are on Campus you can do worse than the Fairfield. It is a good location and convenient for experiencing campus.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a under-the-counter refrigerator. They are extremely LOUD!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank kovacicn

We appreciate your feedback in several areas of your stay with us. I’m glad you found our location to be extremely convenient and our rooms clean and tidy. We will be giving our rooms a new look, and with this new look we will be getting all new bedding and pillows! We strive to listen to our guests’ feedback to make changes to our hotel based on our guests needs and wants. So I thank you for your input. All of our rooms do come with refrigerators and microwaves. If there is one that is not functioning properly, we replace it immediately. I do apologize that yours was not replaced as promptly as you would have liked. I hope to welcome you back to the Fairfield Inn & Suites!

Reviewed January 13, 2012

every thing is nice and clean, great beds and room, hot tub and pool feel a little dated but still enjoyed the soak. good location,

Room Tip: the rear side of the hotel has less traffic noise (odd numbered i think)
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank dginc

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Mt Pleasant Fairfield Inn & Suites! We appreciate your business and could not be happier that we were able to meet your needs. We strive to make our hotel feel like your home away from home and hope you felt welcome during your stay with us. The odd numbers in our building do overlook a beautiful disc golf park and pond located right behind the hotel. I am glad you were able to enjoy your stay with us and we hope to see you upon your return to Mt Pleasant.

Reviewed August 27, 2011

Upon arrival, I noticed how dirty the toliet was. Not the kind that happens overnight! It looked as if it had not been scrubbed by the rim in at least a month, the moldy type of stuff! I took a picture of it, with my phone, and took it down to the front desk and as I was telling them about it the supervisor of housekeeping stepped in and said she was extremely sorry and would have it taken care of! Only to find when I returned, 7 hours later, NOTHING had been done about it or my room cleaned for the day!! They sent a young lady right up, she cleaned the toliet and then had the nerve to ask if I wanted clean towels and my room cleaned....HELLO!
The jacuzzi motor was out my entire stay and the hallways were very smelly.
The staff seemed to be very friendly, but they just do not follow through with things!
BAD MANAGEMENT!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Theegogirl
Reviewed July 5, 2011

I am a very avid user of review sites to located the best hotels, restaurants, spas, etc. but have never actually took the time myself to enter a review of an establishment I have visited ...until now. This is my first review fueled entirely by negative amazement and disappointment which I feel best described as a "slap in the face".

My wife and I ALWAYS look first to stay at a Marriott property while traveling with the expectation of a quality stay. We have a relative that works for Marriott and do also frequently get to take advantage of their "Family and Friends" rate. Occasionally we are travelling and not certain where we will choose to stay overnight so we miss out on the discount rate but still choose a Marriott property due to loyalty and, again, the usual quality stay of a Marriott property. Unfortunately, that quality experience was not the result of our last stay and this being a trip that was not booked with the discount rate made it even more a disappointment.

We arrived in Mount Pleasant at approx. 9:00 pm and upon arrival looked on our iPhone to see what Marriott property was available. Fairfield Inn and Suites was the only one so off we went. Mount Pleasant (Soaring Eagle Casino) was having it's 4th of July celebration with fireworks occurring the night we arrived ...town was VERY busy. Fairfield Inn being on the far side of town opposite the festival activities, parking lot appeared to indicate a low rate of stay at this particular hotel. That is an assumption entirely but can say that a room was available for us to stay at 9:00 pm. The nightly rate of this hotel was the highest in town but we had no issue with that as we figured we were pretty much getting the best hotel in town. At check-in, the small talk did reveal that my wife and I almost always stay at Marriott property and that we do have a family member that works for Marriott but was unable to request our Family discount prior to this stay. The young lady at the front desk was extremely pleasant and from the conversation offered a $5.00 discount on the rate. At that point, $5.00 is better than nothing but still the highest rate in town.

Now, the problems begin…

1: We entered our VERY stuffy room (felt like camping in a tent after all night of rain)
2: Smelled like that same tent mentioned above
3: Air conditioner was running (loudly) and not cooling much at all
4: Went over to adjust the AC unit, carpet was soaked all around the unit (obviously not draining outside but inside the room) …there's your "wet tent"
5: Was late, wife wanted a shower after a long day of driving. Turned on the shower to only minutes after have this LOUD screeching noise coming from the plumbing. Tub also would not drain so now standing in sitting water …Gross!
6: Sink doesn't drain either.
7: Curtains are sheer curtains only. The "black out" curtains are décor only …don't even close. We are on vacation, personally like to sleep in.
8: Television is a 26" tube TV. I think they give those away for free nowadays …I mean seriously???
9: Oh, don't mind the lingering smoke smell apparently haven't changed the carpets and painted the walls since the smoking ban in MI.
10: AC unit did eventually start working (after adjusting the dial back and forth several times must have finally triggered it) …BUT …once working it was even LOUDER!

There is our Top Ten list. Here is the "slap in the face". We did not complain that night about any of these issues. We are VERY accepting, non confrontational people. We arrived late and just wanted to call it a night. We lived with the issues and made it through the night. While getting things together to check-out, we discussed even bringing up the issues upon check-out or just pay the bill and head home. At check-out we encountered a different person then when we checked in …a very polite young man. He asked "how was your stay" …hmmmm??? …opportunity to be honest??? …Yes, of course. Very politely I revealed the "Top Ten List" to the gentleman. He was very apologetic and even began to make note of the issues with our room to advise maintenance. Remember …I had already been offered the $5.00 off the room rate at check-in …right? Here's the kicker and, my opinion, the slap. Gentleman hands me my final bill and says "I took of a little bit for the inconveniences" …any guess how much??? …that's right, the same $5.00 already offered upon check -in. I simply said, "well thanks I am at least glad to see you could still give the same $5.00 off." Was this for real??? …$5.00 off??? …that doesn't buy a person a decent breakfast (as I did not mention the one offered with the room I would not consider decent). Fairfield Inn and Suites - Mount Pleasant …that is a disgrace! Your discount actually is what took me over the top to write this review. Keep your $5.00 off and I will look to book a different hotel next time in town.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1wa2roc
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Front desk service, great. Breakfast, fully stocked and warm. Housekeeping, a little slow but pretty good. We arrived late, and as ALWAYS with ANY hotel the roll away we requested was not anywhere to be found, but the front desk obliged and within 15 minutes found us one. However, when it arrived, it was smelly and stained. I honestly was not desperate enough for my 3 year old to sleep on it to have "that thing" stay in the room with us! The pool was also in need of a cleaning, like a scrubbing. It was pretty warm and never crowded, but you could see the 20+ years of chlorine wear on this pool :/ The staff was nice, and everything was in working order, and for a hotel that isn't brand spanking new it was rather nice!

Room Tip: If you need more than 2 queen beds-pass!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
AmandaLC, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Mt. Pleasant, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2011

Thank you for your comments on your most recent stay at the Fairfield Inn & Suites in Mt. Pleasant. We appreciate all guest feedback both good and in areas that require additional training. After reading your comments we have just received 2 new rollaway and will be ordering more in the near future. We hope that you will consider us again the next time you are visiting the Mt. Pleasant area. We appreciate your business.

Reviewed June 16, 2011

I stayed here 1 night in May 2011. I needed something quiet, clean and close to downtown and this fit the bill. The location is right across from the CMU football stadum, so it would be perfect for games. It was about 2 milws from downtown, which seemed to be about par for devent hotels.

The front desk evening check in and morning check out were friendly and accomodating. The room was quiet, clean and well appointed. The bed was comfortable, the breakfast bar offered and above average selection. and the area around the hotel seemed safe and secure.

A couple minor issues included slow wi-fi, but it worked. Towels were cheap and worn out too. These were pretty forgivable to me as the price was competitive and everything else was satisfactory. Went to take a quick soak in the hot tub the next morning and it was barely even warm, so that was a bummer.

In the end, I would probably stay here again. I'd price check against the comfort suites next door though. it was much nicer than they Baymont I stayed in last time and about the same price.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business

“Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Fairfield!” I am so proud of the staff for being quick, friendly and accommodating for you throughout your stay. We have recently upgraded our internet and look forward to another upgrade in the near future. With your feedback, I have placed an order for a large shipment of new fluffy towels. I have addressed the hot tub issues with maintenance to ensure that all of our guests will be able to relax and have that great soak in the hot tub. I appreciate your feedback as it helped me to improve our hotel for all of our guests. Thank you again and we look forward to your next arrival to the Fairfield Inn & Suites of Mt. Pleasant!