I am a very avid user of review sites to located the best hotels, restaurants, spas, etc. but have never actually took the time myself to enter a review of an establishment I have visited ...until now. This is my first review fueled entirely by negative amazement and disappointment which I feel best described as a "slap in the face".
My wife and I ALWAYS look first to stay at a Marriott property while traveling with the expectation of a quality stay. We have a relative that works for Marriott and do also frequently get to take advantage of their "Family and Friends" rate. Occasionally we are travelling and not certain where we will choose to stay overnight so we miss out on the discount rate but still choose a Marriott property due to loyalty and, again, the usual quality stay of a Marriott property. Unfortunately, that quality experience was not the result of our last stay and this being a trip that was not booked with the discount rate made it even more a disappointment.
We arrived in Mount Pleasant at approx. 9:00 pm and upon arrival looked on our iPhone to see what Marriott property was available. Fairfield Inn and Suites was the only one so off we went. Mount Pleasant (Soaring Eagle Casino) was having it's 4th of July celebration with fireworks occurring the night we arrived ...town was VERY busy. Fairfield Inn being on the far side of town opposite the festival activities, parking lot appeared to indicate a low rate of stay at this particular hotel. That is an assumption entirely but can say that a room was available for us to stay at 9:00 pm. The nightly rate of this hotel was the highest in town but we had no issue with that as we figured we were pretty much getting the best hotel in town. At check-in, the small talk did reveal that my wife and I almost always stay at Marriott property and that we do have a family member that works for Marriott but was unable to request our Family discount prior to this stay. The young lady at the front desk was extremely pleasant and from the conversation offered a $5.00 discount on the rate. At that point, $5.00 is better than nothing but still the highest rate in town.
Now, the problems begin…
1: We entered our VERY stuffy room (felt like camping in a tent after all night of rain)
2: Smelled like that same tent mentioned above
3: Air conditioner was running (loudly) and not cooling much at all
4: Went over to adjust the AC unit, carpet was soaked all around the unit (obviously not draining outside but inside the room) …there's your "wet tent"
5: Was late, wife wanted a shower after a long day of driving. Turned on the shower to only minutes after have this LOUD screeching noise coming from the plumbing. Tub also would not drain so now standing in sitting water …Gross!
6: Sink doesn't drain either.
7: Curtains are sheer curtains only. The "black out" curtains are décor only …don't even close. We are on vacation, personally like to sleep in.
8: Television is a 26" tube TV. I think they give those away for free nowadays …I mean seriously???
9: Oh, don't mind the lingering smoke smell apparently haven't changed the carpets and painted the walls since the smoking ban in MI.
10: AC unit did eventually start working (after adjusting the dial back and forth several times must have finally triggered it) …BUT …once working it was even LOUDER!
There is our Top Ten list. Here is the "slap in the face". We did not complain that night about any of these issues. We are VERY accepting, non confrontational people. We arrived late and just wanted to call it a night. We lived with the issues and made it through the night. While getting things together to check-out, we discussed even bringing up the issues upon check-out or just pay the bill and head home. At check-out we encountered a different person then when we checked in …a very polite young man. He asked "how was your stay" …hmmmm??? …opportunity to be honest??? …Yes, of course. Very politely I revealed the "Top Ten List" to the gentleman. He was very apologetic and even began to make note of the issues with our room to advise maintenance. Remember …I had already been offered the $5.00 off the room rate at check-in …right? Here's the kicker and, my opinion, the slap. Gentleman hands me my final bill and says "I took of a little bit for the inconveniences" …any guess how much??? …that's right, the same $5.00 already offered upon check -in. I simply said, "well thanks I am at least glad to see you could still give the same $5.00 off." Was this for real??? …$5.00 off??? …that doesn't buy a person a decent breakfast (as I did not mention the one offered with the room I would not consider decent). Fairfield Inn and Suites - Mount Pleasant …that is a disgrace! Your discount actually is what took me over the top to write this review. Keep your $5.00 off and I will look to book a different hotel next time in town.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- NEWLY RENOVATED!Come experience the perfect choice of Mt Pleasant. Whether you are here for business or pleasure, impeccable service and an unbeatable location on Central Michigan University's campus - we're the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott and we're near it all. Surrounded by 14 area golf courses such as the award winning Bucks Run, Pohl Cat, St. Ives and Tullymore. We offer shuttle service to the Soaring Eagle Casino, Mid-west's largest casino, just minutes away. Upon arrival, you'll be greeted by our high class associates who specialize in taking care of your needs. Our elegantly appointed guest rooms and suites - a haven for relaxation - offer luxury bedding with fluffy pillows and soft linens, free high-speed Internet and large work areas. After sightseeing or meetings, enjoy delectable Irish-American cuisine at Bennigan's Restaurant next door. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Marriott, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fairfield Inn & Suites Mt. Pleasant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairfield Inn Mt. Pleasant Hotel Mount Pleasant
- Mount Pleasant Fairfield Inn
- Fairfield Inn Mount Pleasant
- Fairfield Mount Pleasant