“Great Room and excellent stay”

Comfort Inn & Suites Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The hotel was very busy when we were there for one night. There was a conference in town along with a large basketball tourney. Our room was newly refurbished and excellent. We had a great stay with no complaints. The only issue we had was the breakfast area is too small when they are busy. Not enough tables or places to sit and eat. Everything else was excellent and well appointed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dpuck1998
AmandaLC, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Thank you for your feedback! I am truly pleased you enjoyed our newly remodeled suites. In the near future, we will be renovating our lobby and breakfast bar space which will include a better flow for breakfast and additional seating with a great new atmosphere! Once again thank you for your feedback. It is always great to hear positive feedback.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

My son and wife and I recently spent the night at the Comfort Inn located in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. Everything went smooth as possible. Check-in was easy, the staff was excellent. Everyone at the front desk was friendly and acted like they were glad we were staying at the hotel.

The room was very clean and very modern looking. We had five people in the large suite and the staff already had a portable bed waiting for us when we arrived. The hotel was in top shape, not a stain or sign of neglect anywhere. Perfect condition. The pool was also very clean. The breakfast area had a large selection of eggs, sausage, waffles, etc.

If you are a CMU grad or fan, this hotel is within walking distance of the football stadium. Very convenient. We will be going back in the fall for football. This might be the nicest Comfort Inn in Michigan that I have stayed at and I have been to many in our state. Overall just a great stay.

Room Tip: The suites are nice if you are with your kids. They have 2 tvs and room divider.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
AmandaLC, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

I am so very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Comfort Inn. We recently completed the first phase of our guest room renovations, and it’s great to hear that you enjoyed the finished product! We are located right across the street from CMU’s football stadium, and we look forward to having you back for a football game this fall. Upon your arrival, you will be surprised to see that our lobby and breakfast bar have been renovated, so you look forward to those upgrades as well. Once again, thank you for your feedback. It is always great to hear when our guests enjoy the products we work so hard to provide them with!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We arrived at our hotel with the hope of checking in and dropping our gear off at our room so that we could have some dinner and catch a show at Soaring Eagle. We were not allowed to checkin for about a half and hour. The excuse that we were given was that some guests who hadn't requested late checkout were given late check out at the last minute to help them out. That's nice that the staff wanted to help them out, but don't jerk other people around in the process. Where was the consideration for us, who were there ready to check in after the established check in time? There was barely an appology from the staff. The lobby was full of other unhappy customers. The staff appeared lost as to what to do, so doing very little seemed to be the approach taken. This was unacceptable.

The room itself was good and spacious. The TV was huge! The bed was comfortable, and the channel selection pretty good. The location is also a plus, with shopping and restaurants very close by. The continental breakfast was a little below the chain average (no meat was offered.) One knock was the game room that was advertised on the Choice Hotels website. It had been removed a couple of months before. We were looking forward to a little pinball, which is becoming harder to find these days. They may want to update the website every now and again.

All in all, the check in mess really soured the experience. The staff needs improvement!

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the elevators. They seem a little loud.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelbobKalamazoo

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay with us. I am pleased to tell you that we have recently upgraded our breakfast bar to include a hot meat option. We take our guest’s feedback seriously and make every attempt to give our guests what they are asking for. As far as your check in experience, I would like to extend my most sincere apologies that the check in process left you with a negative impression of our hotel. Our guaranteed check in time is 4pm, and it is unacceptable if that guarantee was not met. Rarely are we not able to meet that guarantee, and this is not typical of our standards. We try to be as flexible as possible with all of our guests schedules, but your right, it should not be at the expense of any other guest. From your feedback, I can see our desk agents need additional training, and I will ensure they receive the training they need. Since your feedback was received, we have updated our website and removed our game room as an amenity. We would not be able to make these changes if we were not made aware of these situations, so I truly thank you for your feedback. I hope upon your return to Mt Pleasant you choose the Comfort Inn.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Comfort Inn=Comfortable--Nice room, big flat screen TV, comfy beds. We were there to go to the casino and catch a basketball game. Didn't use the shuttle to the casino, the front desk gave us directions to avoid all the lights through town...about 5 minutes. Good service, Bennigan's on site is a plus. Right next to campus, good place to stay if you are there to see CMU, could have walked to the arena, but it was a little too chilly.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the upgraded amenities we have to offer. Our goal is to exceed the needs and expectations of every one of our guests. We offer plush Serta pillow top mattresses as well as 37’ HD flat screen TVs. To the surprise of our guests we offer these amenities in each one of our guest rooms. We are located just miles from the Casino, and even though you did not take advantage of our shuttle service, I’m pleased to hear that the front desk agent was able to give you some tips on how to avoid traffic. We truly take pride in our customer service and make every attempt to make your stay as memorable and enjoyable as possible. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mt Pleasant!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stayed here while conducting a conference at Central Michigan University. The staff is friendly, but the rooms are just mediocre. It's a little ways from the university, but totally not a bad option if you're interested in getting cheaper priced hotel rooms.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
AmandaLC, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Comfort Inn. Our hotel will be going through renovations this year which will include the re-modeling of all of guest rooms, suites and public areas. We are excited to present the new look to all of our guests. The finished product is sure to wow! We also pride ourselves on delivering friendly and authentic service to each one of our guests. I am glad you were able to experience that here. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mt pleasant and to the Comfort Inn. Once again thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed here for one night, as a guest of the university. As I did not pay for the hotel, I was basically satisfied, but I had been paying, the minor annoyances I'm about to describe would have been unpleasant. Also, I should say that the staff was very kind and helpful, and this review is not meant to be a reflection on them, but on the property itself.

FIrst, the room had been sprayed with a strong deodorizer smell that leads me to believe that someone had been smoking in the room previously, though this is a non-smoking property. The toilet had to be flushed twice with each use for the flush to complete. The hallways were noisy.

On the plus size, there was a fridge in the room, and a TV that had many, many channels.

The entire ambiance was of an older hotel; I usually stay at the Hampton Inn, and if I were going to Mt. Pleasant again & paying, that's where I would stay.

So, while this wasn't the worst stay ever, by far, I think there are probably somewhat better options out there.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback. We welcome all feedback and use it as a tool to improve our property and give our guests the best experience possible. I am excited to tell you that renovations for our entire hotel have begun! We will be remodeling all guest rooms and public areas this year. I can assure you that, if you choose to stay with us on your next visit to Mt Pleasant, you will not be disappointed with our new product. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you will choose us in the future.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Arrive about 7pm. The check in person appeared confused. I'm not sure if she ever did find my reservation or if she just booked it. She said she couldn't find it and then handed me the room card and said have a good night. No explanation until I asked where the room was or what the coupons were for...apparently a managers reception that had already ended. The first thing I noticed upon entering the room was the room smelled like smoke. I should have asked for a different room but was too tired and need to get some work done to hassle with it. The bathroom had long hairs in the tub and corner of the room. There was one town that was stained and there was finger prints all over the TV screen. The other thing upon entering the room that was odd was the temp was set to 79 degrees. No big deal but...? The next day I've never seen as large a staff as I did. There must have been no less than 15 people on my floor in the halls. Maintainence people, housekeeping staff, people that looked like managers. All of them running around like they were cleaning up after a huge event. There was about 10 cars in the parking lot when I arrived the night before so they weren't busy and when I left that afternoon around 4pm there were still no more cars in the parking lot. I didn't bother me that there was a small army of staff working. What I did find odd was they weren't very friendly or courteous. I actually had a difficult time walking down the hall and actually had to ask them if I could get by. No one said hi. No one even acknowledged that I was there. It was like I was invisible. Breakfast was very poor. Twice I returned to find the two hot items serving dish empty. Still not sure what was in them. The coffee was cold and the juice warm. The next time I'm in Mt. Pleasant I'll find somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. It is with a guests’ insight and feedback that we are able to improve our property. I can understand how the problems you encountered during your stay would have negatively impacted your experience at our hotel, but I can assure you that these problems are not typical of our standards. We do keep the highest of standards when it comes to our guest room cleanliness. Our rooms are our product and having a high quality product to give to our guests is our number one priority. We also pride ourselves on our customer service. Our goal is to offer you a clean room to sleep in, a smile when you arrive, a friendly conversation when passing in the hall and an overall positive experience to leave you with. I am sorry that the staff did not acknowledge you in the hall. We most certainly appreciate your business and am disappointed that you did not received the friendly hospitality that you should have. I can see, from your feedback, that we have a few other areas to improve in. I can assure you that these areas will be addressed and perfected. I do hope we will get the opportunity to have you back and show you that these are not our typical standards and that we have addressed your areas of concern.