“poker room review”

Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Check in process - excellent, computerized, fair, call in available 1 hr ahead, no shenanigans, seats filled promptly, friendly etc.

Dealers - mostly good, fair, quickness variable, mostly friendly

Tables - No autoshufflers mean SLOW. Very few hands per hour.

Some stupid policies that you don't see in Las Vegas:

No texting or telephone at the table (not even if you are not in the hand)
The dealers count down the deck at every down (no autoshuffle)
Dealers have to shuffle by hand
Buying the button is not available
I was told that if you don't have a players club card and signed in with it you may not win the bad beat should it hit or maybe you will if the supervisor lets you get one at the time it hits but he doesn't have to or something to that effect

Drink service

One server for entire poker room means pretty slow service or even no service. Players
would get their own coffee for each other in the morning until a server showed up.
Stupid $1.30 charge for OJ. Also charge for bottled water, tap ice water free. Pay for booze.

Smoke

It drifts in from the main casino, which is a smoke filled dome. Disgusting.

Rake

Too high, but I heard it's dropping to $5 max soon.
Overall, 3 out of 5.

Please get autoshufflers! They pay for themselves!

Please make the casino nonsmoking! (prob never happen because the percentage of smokers in rural michigan is insanely high).

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank revengeofaone

Reviewed October 8, 2010

The hotel rooms are very nicely decorated and are very comfortable. The casino and food offerings are an entirely different matter! The food in the steakhouse is okay but nothing spectacular. From my perspective, the menu variety is quite limited. The buffet has deteriorated to the point where it is barely palatable. Given the quality of the food, I feel the price is OUTRAGEOUS. The prime rib is not tasty and is as tough as chuck steak. My husband and I used to go to the casino 2-3 times a week. Additionally, we were spending a couple of days and nites there approximately every other month. We would sometimes win but even when we didn't end up a little ahead, we could recycle our money for quite a while. This is no longer the case. We VERY SELDOM win anything and very seldom see anyone else doing any winning. Consequently, we now basically go once a week and will be further decreasing our trips there. As of this month, they have changed their criteria for awarding the few comps that they give. As a result, I am receiving fewer comps from them than I get from FireKeepers and I only go to FireKeepers once every month or two. It is in my best interest to increase my trips to FireKeepers and decrease my trips to the Soaring Eagle and that is what I intend to do. Might I add that I've patronized the Soaring Eagle since BEFORE either of the current 2 buildings were built, and up until almost a year ago. very seldom visited less than 2 or 3 times each week.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sexyc72
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We have been to the Soaring Eagle Resort several time and look forward to our next return. . The staff is very pleasant both in the casino and throughout the hotel including the restaraunts.The hotel is gorgeous and tasteful. The room was one of the nicest rooms we have ever stayed in. Clean, nicely decorated, with a gas fireplace, free standing tub, and a double shower in the bathroom. The pool area is very nice - 2 hot tubs, and even one of those little lap pools that create a current you swim against. The food was fair, not quite like the extravagant buffets in Vegas, but not bad.
Our only complaint is the smoky haze and smell of the casino area and everything around it.
If you like to gamble, the slots are very tight. All things concidered, its still a fun night out.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank arnieb2
Reviewed July 3, 2010

Well we have 5 kids we needed a little break. We went for the monster truck show which happened to be 4th of July weekend they also had a carnival then as well. I will say I thought when we booked it was kinda high in price but then we ended up getting $40 comp play with our package and the rooms were big very clean and nice. So we took the kids to the kids quest and they never wanted to leave. We had a blast in the casino we won so big on Roulette we ended up stayin 2 more nights. Most of the dealers are very very rude which kinda changes the whole mood! If your going to eat DO NOT WASTE TIME OR MONEY AT BUFFET IT IS SOOO BAD! way over priced and food bad. I also would highly suggest that dealers and hotel staff have better customerservice training and learn to be more happy. great pool and spa. The best fireworks I have seen will come back every yr for the 4th.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank buzymommy
Reviewed June 16, 2010

My husband and I have a 7 year old. She loves the Kids quest there. The fee per hour seems a little high ($7.50 hr) but your really only in the casino for a few hours and the kids never want to leave!! The machines are incredibly tight. The rooms are clean with big bathrooms. The atmosphere is relaxing and beautiful. Although the food there is expensive and not that great. You can travel 1 mile down the road where they have all the fast food places some chain resturaunts like Applebees and the outback. Overall the place is great! It's big and roomy, clean with a pool and the kids are well entertained. Just don't expect to walk away a winner!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank pegzleague
Reviewed June 14, 2010

The casino is nice...older but nice. I wanted to say that when you leave this casino and if you find a lady on the street selling "Linen" sheets on the corner, do not buy. She is selling cheap Kmart material and sewing herself and saying it is high thread count. It IS NOT!!! FYI...so you do not waste your money...she also sells fake purses..JUNK! But the casino was nice for a night.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank gifted2009
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Repeat guest and will do it again in the Fall. We have been to the Soaring Eagle Resort twice and will continue to go back on a regular basis. We play golf in the area on Saturday then head for Soaring Eagle Resort for the rest of the weekend. The staff is very pleasant both in the casino and throughout the hotel including the restaraunts. The Sunday Morning Brunch is the Best. The reservation staff is top notch and very willing to work with your needs. Cannot say enough nice things about the accommodations, the staff and the whole visit.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple