“expensive but cool atmosphere and menu”

Midori Sushi and Martini Lounge
Cuisines: Sushi, Contemporary, Bar
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Midori, the Japanese word for green, reflects our commitment to using the freshest ingredients and implementing practices that are environmentally responsible. In striving to provide the best possible dining experience and continued high standard in quality and freshness, we have collaborated with vendors such as Honolulu Fish Company, Snake River Farms, and The Perfect Puree of Napa Valley who further this goal. Our pledge to using the freshest ingredients extends from the kitchen to the bar. We believe the best cocktails are handcrafted using premium spirits and innovative mixology. Behind the bar we use house made syrups and purees, fresh herbs, fruit, and fresh squeezed juice to order. We take great pride in our commitment to serving the finest products and believe you will taste the difference
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Their rolled sushi is only decent, nothing special. Drinks are overpriced martinis but pretty delicious to be honest. Try the kobe beef, it comes out with a heated stone to cook at your table. Midori is on the expensive side but takes you out of Mt. Pleasant if only for one meal.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I was so happy to see that Mt. Pleasant has a sushi restaurant. Having lived in San Francisco and spending much time in many large cities all over the world, it was almost culture shock when I relocated to Alma Mi.

My fiance and I came here after a fun day at the casino. We ordered a mix of things to taste and loved it all.

From the "share plates" we had the Ahi Poke, Seared Scallops, and the Kobe Ishiyaki. The Ahi Poke wasn't what I was expected, but it was great. I would have like a bit more Tuna on the lotus chips, but it was very good quality tuna and had tons of great flavor. The seared scallops were also high quality and tasty with a cream sauce that was equally tasty. The only downfall of the scallops is that they were quite cold even for being just seared. I probably would not order this next time, but they do have a dinner dish with seared ginger scallops that I will try next time. As for the Kobe Ishiyaki, it was the favorite of the shared plates we had. You cook the meat up yourself at the table on a stone. This meat was fabulous and we loved it!!! It reminded me of beef carpacio, only you could sear it up as little or as much as you like. Just remember if you want it cooked more on the well side, you need to do this quickly as the stone doesn't stay hot for too long.

As for the rolls, I will say there are some strange rolls on the menu, but all the traditionals are there as well. I am a tuna and crab lover so went for the Ninja roll, which has crab salad inside and tuna on top. Very very tasty....so much so that where usually I will let my man have the last one, this time I went in and grabbed the last bite so he could not get it first. :)

We also ordered one Fire Up! roll to start, but this delish roll was so good, we had to order another one for good measure.

I read somewhere in another review that the rolls were sparsely stuffed, however, with our rolls we didn't get that...at least the specialty rolls we had, were very fat and full. Just absolutely delish.

They also have a very nice drink menu. My fiance just had his regular Sam Adams lager. I had two pear martinis....made with a very nice pear puree. Also fabulous.

We had Rebecca (or maybe it was just becca she went by, not sure, but close enough) for our server. She too made this a great first time experience and we will definitely be back. She was always there to check on us and if we needed anything...very sweet and attentive young lady with a great sense of humor.

As for prices...yes they were higher for the specialty rolls, but hey, the food is nice quality food. The traditional rolls were what I've paid anywhere else. Our total bill was 108ish before tip and two drinks each. Martini prices are high, but no more so, than say a Mitchells Fish Market or other reg martini bar. Most people would know that going in....

As always, I like to put my two cents in, and there isn't much I'd change here. The place is a little small, but that's not their fault I suppose. **The bartender was definitely SLOW on making my second martini (prob took at least 15-20 minutes and he didn't look overly busy). I've had sushi all over places where the fish comes right out of the ocean so fresh...miami, california, bahamas, the virgin islands, all the trendy places in Mi., and more and this was up to par. Yes, there were some strange rolls and what not on the menu, but I give that chef an A for all his wonderful efforts.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Midori is a very fun place in downtown Mount Pleasant. The decor is very cool and the artwork on the wall changes often. There is a small outdoor dining area as well.

The food is quite good. I am partial to sushi so that is what I order most often. The Spider is probably my favorite signature roll. Had the Fire Up roll last visit, good but the sauce was a trifle sweet for me. My wife has enjoyed several of their small plates. The scallops are great and come with this awesome simple watermelon salad. The signature drink selection is really good.

Only down side is value, not opposed to paying for food, but when I compare prices to other Asian themed lounges around the state, the prices seem a little high. I guess that is the advantage of being the only game in town.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

If you have traveled and dined in larger cities, you would never mistake this place for a real Sushi spot. They make an attempt at it and it is OK....about a C- on my scale. Drinks and food are overpriced. Watered down $10 martinis are no bargain. Staff is largely clueless. Oh, and they will automatically add an 18% tip if you have more than 5 at your table. I really hate that.

1  Thank Wolverine989
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We got there at a busy time, but we were able to get seats at the bar. I had the lycee martini and great sushi.