“1st Stay”

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Midland, Michigan
“1st Stay”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed at the hotel with my wife for 2 nights. I was pleased with the hotel rooms, cleanliness and updated but the TV was kind of small. The water park was exteremly packed, but we were still able to get a chair and do anything we wanted to do (slides, lazy river, etc...) without much of a wait. Overall its a nice water park but it is smaller and more congested then other water park hotels we have stayed at.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Upon arrival, we were very excited. Check in was fast, we got to our room and settled in.

We were on the 3rd floor, and noticed our room had no balcony and also a window that does not open. Shrugging it off, we changed into our suits and headed to the waterpark.

For a new hotel/waterpark, the hall floors were in desperate need of a good vacuuming.

The park was packed. Hardly room to move around. All of the tables and chairs were taken. Way too crowded.

Our son loves the big slides. We have been to several waterparks and never had a problem with his height. We walk all the way up the stairs, to be turned away because he was half an inch to short. Meaning, he couldn't do ANY of the fun things we drove 2 1/2 hours for. No big slides, no rock climbing wall, no surf simulator. He was made to feel like he did something wrong in front of the line of people on the slide and had big crocodile tears down the steps.

The areas he WAS allowed to play in were to babyish for him, for 2 & 3 year olds. We went and asked the front desk why he could ride the slides at other parks and not here. They simply said it was because of the aerodynamics.

We ended up spending most of the day at the regular pool, which was freezing cold. The hot tub was extremely hot. Every chair in this area had old towels on it and used cups, as if no one had picked up. We were there all day and not once did anyone come clean anything up. We saw workers walk past it all day long, not even looking at the mess.

Dinner at the restaurant wasn't any better. The pizza was disgusting and the drinks were flat.

We will never return to this waterpark.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank brittmck
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Took boys, 13 and 17 to this waterpark hotel for a fun experience and a day off. They were running a special. Normally waterparks with this many attractions are expensive, also far away. We thought if we snuck away on a Thursday night for a little hooky we'd have a great time and have a lot of time in the park. We have been to Great Wolf and had rival expectations. The rooms were very nice, tastefully done and if you were lucky enough to get the first floor you had a patio, the upper rooms didn't even have a window that would open, so no dispondant person from the Casino can jump. I reserved my room 2 weeks in advance, was told we could not check in before 4pm and had to be out by 11am, but as customery with other water parks, could stay for the day.
The hotel was overbooked, we ended up on the third floor, no balcony or even a window that would open. Freezing cold night and I felt both miles from the waterpark and miles from the outdoors. When we arrived at 6pm, the park was jam packed. Sort of expected, but this was supposed to be really full!. We decided to settle into our room and go out to dinner and hope it would calm down a little as people seemed to be leaving. Well, they were leaving because they sell day passes to the locals. Which would be fine if the hotel not been booked to capacity! How much money mongoring needs to be done? and this is a Thursday Night! We went to dinner, hoping for less crowd, well, there was no crowd upon our return, they had closed the park at 8pm! The arcade stayed open, and that was it. We decided to make the best of it and went down to the hotel pool. Okay, crowded, but not like the water park, all the people who got kicked out of the park early were at the pool, without the locals, better. Except just walking, not running, my husband slipped and fell on the tiles around the edge of the hot tub. He slid again on similar tiles near the pool. There was supposed to be 2 hours of adult time with children leaving at 9pm, that didn't actually happen until after 9:45pm. We went to our room, got dressed and headed down to the hotel bar. Now its almost 1030 and the bar was closed! So only option (had we thought of it) would have been to go to the casino, where they can part you with even more of your money! I did not want to leave my guys alone at the hotel because they are guys! 4 available hours of park time, not impressed.
Okay next day.... go down to get a coffee, maybe some breakfast? Well, yes, they have both, but you get to pay for it at the restaurant. There was coffee, it was hot, but realy milk or cream was impossible to find! Now this is an expensive and ritzy (so to speak) hotel. I went to the restaurant and had to ask to buy creamer! I don't think decent coffee is too much to ask. There was no tea.
Get dressed for waterpark after check out. Put all our stuff in the van and went back into the park, where we could not find anywhere to put our stuff. All the lockers were full, all the tables and lounges chairs had someone's stuff on them, the showers were kinda gross, as was the changing facility. Kids were so turned off by the number of people, they wouldn't get dressed. They wanted to go to arcade because my husband and I refused to leave without trying out the park. The arcade sign said it opened at 8, we were there at 11 and it didn't open until noon.Inside we were a little lost at first, but soon figured the first thing we wanted to do was try the big slide, there is 2 one for bodies only and one for tubes. There were not enough tubes, I had to cling tightly to the railings as I climbed 3 stories with my tube. Kids were coming by (I did not know that there was a body slide, but soon figured something like that) and either waiting or saying excuse me or just dipping under because they were small. One young lady, I'd say about 13, came up behind and exclaimed "I gotta get through!" I stepped aside as did my husband and I said to her "What you mean is, 'Excuse me please'" she was visably annoyed and stepped on the lady in front of us, who looked at me, we shrugged and smiled at each other, she was after all, just a kid. Really great slide for the tube, we never got to try the body slide. I did go over to the hot tub with was not very large and had limited jets. After we stepped out of the hot tub, I was approached by an employee that told me I had been accused by the girl of scratching her! I asked to speak with her mother (I am 51 yr old health care provider) the employee said "That's not gonna happen!" I was mad and said, I felt that she had made me feel singled out and that the girl was lying and if someone scratched my kid, I'd be filing a police report! She did get security and he did take a report, but the damage was done. The park claims to have cameras everywhere, I asked that someone review it, they said no. I got a statement from the lady in front of me, verifying my story, I never touched that child! I asked who was leaving the park? Security said "Oh this hasn't gone that far, no one has to leave." Wrong, you have a child who is willing to lie to her mother and everyone flocked around miss innocent like a wounded dove, I have been villified and mortified by being approached and spoken to for something I didn't do. What would stop this child from making up more lies? Taking the lack of a place to be, no reserved adult area in the park, no where near the bar, my childrens disappointment. I decided I could no longer be there. By the time we left, I was in tears, a manager came over to speak to me, kept saying I'm sorry, but never said what can I do for you? I'd say a refund was in order, but the room was nice.
It was a cheap lesson, I have to disagree with Nicsmom101, unless they changed things from bad reviews. It was not clean, it was definitly smaller than Great Wolf Lodge, not nearly as friendly, had no adult designated place like Great Wolf, was not layed out as well as or in as much space as Great Wolf. Great wolf has balconies for all rooms, not just the ones you an't jum from (Casino Liability) and Great Wolf has a lot more to do. Ice cream, restaurants and bars, two waterslides for tubes, plenty of tubes, warm water. More space, less crowded. Overall, I would gladly pay for Great Wolf or Kalahari over Soaring Eagle

Room Tip: When booking request a room with a patio if you need to smoke or just like fresh air.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Angela W
Howell, Michigan
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Spent Saturday and Sunday of Easter weekend. The front desk said both the hotel rooms and the day passes were sold out for both days. I expected the worst!

Well, we had a wonderful stay! The park is clean and large enough to rival the Great Wolf Lodge hotels in the area. Perhaps for the first time In water park experience ( and we have had MANY) we walk right in and got front row lounge chairs... Both days! Plenty of seating. And a variety too. Tables and chairs, loungers, benches....

The water play area were more than adequate for the under 12 set, and they have tried to appeal to older kids with a rock climbing wall above a 7 foot deep pool and a wave rider.

Really nice large hot tub, good lazy river, big pool with a unique whirlpool feature. The standard water play structure and bucket, and a couple large thrill type slides too big for my preschooler.

We very much enjoyed our stay here....did not feel over crowded....

Hotel also had a separate pool, hot tub, sauna, steam room for hotel guests.

One complaint? Hotel room shower max water temp was about 99 degrees. Quite chilly after thev104 degree hot tub!

Michigan
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Inspite of some of the reviews, my family decided to spend the weekend at the waterpark and experience it for ourselves. I can't compare to the other waterparks available in and around Michigan as we haven't visited the other ones yet, but this one sure was wonderful. We arrived late Friday night with a quick check-in. Our other family members had already checked in earlier and we were able to get a room next to them, which was wonderful.

Room - The room was on 3rd floor, about one third down the hallway. It was quiet, very clean and modern. It had all the amenities that made a stay with a 6 month old and a 4 year old worry free. The bathroom had plenty of towels, the room had plenty of pillows (contrary to someone's review that pointed out a lack of) and the temp in the room was perfect. Housekeeping was very tentative about what needed to be replaced.

Waterpark - The waterpark was busy, as expected on a Saturday but didn't feel cramped. I agree with another reviewer suggesting more seating should be available. There was plenty attraction to keep a 3, 4 and 8 year old. The 8 year old got a chance to experience the Flow Rider, he was very pleased. There was plenty of inner tubes for the lazy river and the slides. The lifeguards were on constant watch. There was plenty of towels and lifejackets available. Only negative, was the fact in order to get from the hotel room to the waterpark you must walk through the lobby and if someone open the door to get out of the building, you were greeted with a very cold air (at this time of the year). With everyone dressed in bathing suits and shorts, it really is a bad setup.

Restaurant - We grabbed late lunch at the Nbakade Dining Room and this was our only disappointment. The establishment wasn't busy at all (only 3-4 tables occupied) but the waiter seemed unavailable. He walked up to our table saying he just started his shift and didn't even know what specials are available. The food was just ok, the 2nd round of drinks were watered down. The waiter handed over the bill and waited by the table for us to pay, he then asked for the bill back cause he forgot to charge something, and when we got the revised bill we took a look at it, he asked if there's a problem; no problem - just give us the opportunity to look it over. With him standing over our head, it was very odd and very unpleasant experience. The reason behind not giving 5 stars.

Overall it was very good. Definitely we will return with the kids again.

Fenton, Michigan, United States
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My family of three spent our overnight trip on a Thursday-Friday. We were able to check in early which was great and able to use the waterpark the whole next day even after our 11am checkout. The rooms were clean, and everything in the hotel was very nice!! The only complaint that I have is the restaurant. After reading not so great reviews, I still decided to give the restaurant a chance being that I have a nine month old baby and didn't want to expose him to the cold weather again. There was one server, and a bartender. The bartender apparently thought his 2 customers were far more important to even come out behind the bar and help the poor girl who had about 30 people on her floor. After atleast 10-15 minutes of sitting there while seeing my drinks in the window and receiving my appetizer, I finally got up to go get them. The food was pretty good overall, but if I were to return to this establishment I would NOT eat at this restaurant.

1 Thank Amanda_Marie0619
Lansing, Michigan, United States
Reviewed March 25, 2013

after reading a few of the reviews, I was a little reluctant about the water park and if the kids were going to enjoy it. We all had a blast. I Made reservations two days in advance, then the day before added a room for my brother, wife, and kids. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfy. the kids ranged in ages 18-8yrs old and loved the water slides. the kids all loved the FlowRider, The staff at the water park and front desk were friendly and professional. safety is a major priority. They did a drill were an employee sneaks and puts a child size doll face-down floating in the water, to test the life guards . It wasn't half a second and whistles were blowing. VERY IMPRESSED, will be staying again soon.

And believe me when I say I'm not easy to please.
I am a hospitality major and work in the industry, so I keep my eyes open to flaws. didn't see any here.

Great JOB!