“Great Wolf Lodge it's not, but it's also not as expensive”

Soaring Eagle Waterpark and Hotel
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We also stayed the last night of the 69.95 promo. My friend and I took our 2 kids for their birthdays, so splitting the cost was nice, only 40.00 a family after taxes and everything. I'll start with the good: The hotel and room were decorated very nicely, and the kids loved the waterpark. I didn't think the noise level was that bad, I expected it because the hotel is full of kids! And despite all the things that could have been better, we had a good time, and the kids had a blast of course!
Now for the bad... Our room looked really nice, but the heater was unusually loud. The bathroom fan didn't work and when you got done in the shower and turned off the showerhead the button popped off. It happened after every shower!
It really is pooly thought out. You have to go through the lobby to get to the waterpark and their regular pool. They have a small pool and hot tub which was nice, but the pool is surrounded by a very smooth tile and i slipped walking into the pool, thank goodness I was using the hand rail!
The entrance to the waterpark is directly across from the entrance to the hotel lobby, so every time someone opened the doors to the waterpark a freezing cold breeze would whip through. There were no available tables or lounge chairs, we ended up sharing a table with another family. You couldn't get a double tube for the slide to save your life! My daughter and I wanted to go down it together and so did my friend and her son. It took her and I standing at the entrance to the lazy river for over an hour to snag a tube and we shared it. The shortage of tubes, single and double was a bit ridiculous. The water in the lazy river was quite cold. The water in the big pool was a bit warmer, but not by much.
Is it as good as Great Wolf Lodge, no way. Did we have a good time, yes we did. And for a lot less than we would've spent going to GWL. Will we go back? Maybe, but I think I would rather spend the extra $ and go to GWL.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Lets start with the water park. The water was over chlorinated by a large margin. The temp of the water was cold. I was getting into the lazy river with my son and I told him it was cold and one of th life guards said "everyone keeps saying that". Logic dictates if everyone thinks the water is too cold a temp adjustment might be needed. Another tell tale sign, when there is 60 people in the hot tub your water is too cold to have fun in.

They have a neet whirlpool type of pool that pushes the kids around in a circular motion the only problem with that is that there are 5 or 6 fountains that spray on to the area keeping you blind for 3/4 of the circular trip and with the water being over chlorinated it was a huge pain to constantly be wiping water out of your eyes.

The flo rider is good. The life guards that work that ride are great and friendly.

The rooms are ok. My biggest problem is with the temps again. Couldn't get the room warmer than 68. The heat runs on geo thermal, defiantly not working. Inadequate hot water in the room.

We met friends at the hotel restaurant and decided to sit together. I didn't think it was a big deal 4 adults 4 kids. We asked for seperate checks and was accommodated however I didn't care for the automatic 18% gratuity being added in for a group of 8 or more. Now we usually tip 15-20% anyway but I guess I like to have the option of setting the amount I tip depending on the quality of the service we receive instead of being forced into it by the hotel. Unfortunately we were informed of this policy after our meal.

I think the place could be great if they would make some minor changes. I know you can't make everyone happy but the temps need to be turned up if everyone feels its cold. Frankly no excuse for the room temp not working.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Michael F
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed here the very last day of the $69.95/night promo and the hotel was completely booked solid. At the front desk we were told they had been booked solid for 2 weeks straight. Luckily, we arrived around 3:25 and were able to check in at that time after only about a 10-15 minute wait in line. We were told the hours of the waterpark up front, so no surprise they closed at 8pm and would reopen at 10am. The previous reviews (and literature at the hotel) indicate they were using wristband key cards, but we were given regular key cards with generic neon green wrist bands.
We took our bags up to our room (319) before heading back down to the waterpark. The room was small, but well decorated and very nice. One thing that is nice for those of us with little ones is that each bed had a waterproof mattress pad on it, but you wouldn't know it just by laying on them. Beds were very comfy. Blankets were thin, as other people have complained, but the thermostat is adjustable, so we had no issues.
By the time we got down to the waterpark (in the main lobby, where you check in, also not well thought out...) a longer line was formed at the check-in desk, where only 2 employees were working. The water park seemed a bit crowded, but we learned was nothing to what we experienced the next morning. We couldn't find a seat for about an hour that evening and the waterpark was very small. We left around 6:30 and noticed it was getting more crowded then, but we were finished for the night. We ordered pizza in from outside, then headed over to the casino for the larger arcade and so my hubby could gamble. They offered a free shuttle to the casino, but took our own vehicle.
We got back to our room just before 10pm and couldn't believe how much noise came through the walls. We heard a kid crying to one side of us and a kid telling his parents he needed to poop to the other side. Not to mention all of the noise from the hallway. For a hotel aimed towards kids/families, they really dropped the ball by skimping on insulating between the rooms. We cranked the TV up and fell asleep with it on to drown out the other noises. The TV did have quite an extensive list of channels, which we were impressed by. Even Fox Sports Detroit, so we didn't miss the Red Wings game!
The following morning, checkout was at 11 am and the waterpark opened at 10. Keep in mind there is no place to store your belongings except for a set of maybe 20 expensive lockers in the entire waterpark area, so by the time we got there at 10:45 EVERY SINGLE table/chair/bench was claimed by someone, by throwing their dirty laundry, shoes, luggage, whatever they had onto it. Of probably 50 lounge chairs, maybe 5 were actually being sat on and the rest were used for storage. There were maybe 30 tables with chairs near the restaurant and all were "claimed" as well. Very frustrating. We planned on eating lunch there before leaving, but were not going to stand and eat our food so that other people could store their belongings while they enjoyed the waterpark. So we cut our trip shorter than we would have liked so that we could go somewhere else and eat.
There were long lines for everything, even the kiddy slides had small waits, when there were none the day before. Our 4 year old had no complaints, but even he was ready to go after an hour and a half. Another thing not thought out very well is that not only do the locker rooms not have any lockers inside of them at all, you have to come out into the waterpark carrying your clothes after you change if you do choose to use one of the few they offer (which are $5-7 depending on which size you need, but they do take credit!)
Before leaving we did head into the arcade and were disappointed in the game choices as well as the size. Again, for a place geared towards kids, the arcade should've been at least large enough to walk through without turning sideways to walk between 2 people playing games. My son much preferred the arcade at the casino. It was much larger, had more games and a bigger selection of prizes.
I feel like the $70 price is more than fair for what they offered, but I should've waited and paid more to go at a different time when they weren't so busy. I doubt we will go back again, but if we do it will definitely NOT be during a promotional period. I understand that they have not been open very long, but they are not well equipped at all to handle a full house.

7  Thank BrandyS868
Reviewed February 28, 2013

First off this resort is appropriately priced at $70 per room. I would not pay more but it was ok for that price.

We left the park early in the evening with our toddler but visited the front desk at 8pm to witness a near riot. The binder in the hotel rooms said the the park is open until 9pm on week days. A small sign at the park entrance was chagned to 8pm and there was a big group of very unhappy people.

Our plan was to go to the park again before check out so we entertained the baby for several hours between when she woke up and when the park was supposed to open at 9am. Again the times had been changed (but not in the room binders) and we were informed that the park wouldnt be opening until 10am. The staff kept telling us that this change had been in place since January. Being our first trip to this park that info didn't help much when their literature said otherwise.

Room Tip: Dont stay on the first floor if you want a quiet room.
2  Thank Sarah D
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Service was very poor. I waited 45 minutes in line just to check in. Once I made it to the front of the line I was told my room was not ready. After traveling and waiting in line with a toddler that is not what I wanted to hear. My family and I sat in the lobby and waited. There were at least 80 other people waiting for their rooms to be ready as well. With the amount of people gathered in the lobby I started to wonder if anyones room was ready upon arrival. My room was ready two hours after check in. By the time we got checked in and our luggage to our rooms it was 7:00 before we were able to get into the water park. The park closed at 9:00. We did not have a lot of time to enjoy the park on the first day. It was the last week of the 70$ special so I understand that they were very busy. You would think that management would schedule more staff. It was clear that more housekeepers were needed. We were getting ready to check out and our fire alarm started going off. I had my husband go out into the hall to figure out what was going on. The maid informed him that it was just a test. Very odd just a test at 10:00 a.m. The sound was so loud that it took me awhile to get my 20 month old to calm down after the test. My husband said that he heared many children crying so we were not the only ones bothered by the alarm.
Despite the negative aspects of our trip we did have a good time. The water park is very nice. My toddler enjoyed the area for small children. I liked all of the slides that he was able to ride. The only thing that could have made it better would be a pool for small children. Some of the other parks in MI have shallow pools. The water slides were a lot of fun and I enjoyed the lazy river. The lifeguards did a good job of making sure everyone was following the rules and being safe in the water. The hotel rooms were nice as well. There was micro fridge and microwave in every room. The hotel and the room were very clean.
Overall we had a good time at the waterpark. It was well worth the $70. I would go back if they offered this special again. If I had to pay more money I would try a different waterpark.

5  Thank Cindy R
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was minutes away from walking away from this place if it wasn't for the disapointment my kids would have had. I waited close to 1 1/2 hours in line just to check-in behind a line of about 30-40 people deep and with rooms that were not ready two hours after check-in time, and this was not even a weekend night. Although, the rooms and waterpark were nice, I felt this hotel is very poorly ran. I also felt the on-site arcade had terrible hours. My kids did not get a chance to try it out since it closed at 8 p.m. and did not re-open until noon the next day.

5  Thank Terri K
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We just had a wonderful experience. Service was exceptional and it was great fun for all (ages ranged from 3 to 50). Anyone who wants a fun fulled event for the family should certainly give this a try. The price was also right!

1  Thank ordilu