“Family friendly but a couple disappointing glitches.”

Soaring Eagle Waterpark and Hotel
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Northville, Michigan
“Family friendly but a couple disappointing glitches.”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We went to this waterpark for my son's birthday. We were enticed by the special price they were running (69.95/night) which included 4 water park passes. With this price alone, the trip was worth it. All other places were double when we were looking into it.
When we arrived, the first thing I noticed was the nice wood trim and well decorated interior. We had a standard room on the first floor. The room was a double queen, pretty much a standard hotel room. One thing that I saw on trip advisor and noticed myself was the absence of noise cancellation products. All doors closed loudly and we could almost make out conversations that were going on in other rooms.
It is a walk to the waterpark area from the rooms. When we entered, the size of the room is great. The area is well spaced out and well organized. The play structure is great for smaller kids. My son(3) loved the sides of the slides and my daughter(1) enjoyed the turtles, small canoe slide and water spouts. The water was warm, but the closer you got to the door the chillier the air was. It didn't help that we were there on one of the coldest days in almost two years, but with small kids it was a little bothersome. After about 30 min all my kids wanted to do was go into the pool where the basketball hoop was.
We went out for dinner but stayed in for breakfast. The breakfast was good for the kids, but the adult choices were mediocre and the prices were a little high for the time of day.
Pros: water park was spacious and kid friendly. My kids loved the play structure and pools. The staff was accommodating and attentive. They answered all questions with more than just a yes or no answer. The price for the day at the park and night out was great.
Cons: The superficial use of Native American names and objects. I understand its part of an Indian reservation, but it makes it seem like a knock-off of GWL. It seemed less authentic and a money grubbing attempt. The noise. Listening to kids scream and run in the halls and a adjacent rooms after 11 at night was annoying at best. I understand its a place for kids, but there is a place for that and its not in the hallways that late at night. Lastly, the hours of the waterpark were cut short during our stay. There was an activity that cost additional funds that caused the water park to close one hour early. Also, the area didn't open till 10am. With checkout at 11, we had to pack our change of clothes and checkout to be able to stay for more than one hour.
Over all, because of the price, our trip was worth it. I would probably go back if they ran the same deal in two years from now, but otherwise I'd check out some other places.

2 Thank FamilysTraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Swartz Creek, Michigan
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at this waterpark. The whole place is beautiful. Very clean and outstanding service. Not overcrowded like most waterparks. There is something for everyone to do. They even have a fitness room and a separate pool and hot tub for the adults We will definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2012
Port Hope, Michigan
Reviewed January 20, 2013

For young children this would probably be loads of fun. But for adults not so much. I didn't realize the only slides to go down for adults were both enclosed. I figured there were others inside that weren't. I am super claustrophobic so that was a no go for me. The only thing I enjoyed was the lazy river. Which gets old after a bit. The hot tub in there was always full and sorry I a not rock climbing. So it wasn't worth the money. The screaming eagle is super annoying that is up by the dump bucket way to loud. We went into where the regular pool and hot tub were and I almost fell getting into the hot tub. The tile is super slippery when it gets wet. I saw a little girl fall shortly before I got in. Our room was nice. Shower was great. But the room was extremely hot. I don't know what most people are used to but we couldn't get our room below 77 degrees no matter what we did. It jumped from 77 to 78 all night long. The only thing we really enjoyed was the pizza. They make amazing pizza. But all in all we will not be coming back like we had planed to with our 4 children. Just not worth the money. We will go to great wolf lodge.

Room Tip: Bring a fan for your room. And if you aren't bringing kids it isn't really worth it. Rooms a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cprill
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Pros;

Lovely decor. Beautiful in some regards.
Room was clean and stocked
The Little Eagle Suite has a clever Murphy bed that made the room perfect for 5 (3 adults 2 kiddos)
The staff was friendly
The attendant of the wave riding feature (I think his name was Will) was amazing with my 5 and 7 year old kids. Very patient and very helpful.
The water park was smaller than others we've been to but, clean and nice enough.

Cons:
We pre-paid $186 for our room only to find out that they were having some sort of $69 special. They said they would look into our price discrepency but didn't.

The HVAC system in the room is really really noisy. Ours had the added bonus of a clank (like a loose fan blade or something) that made sleeping kind of rough.

I thought it was odd the Murphy bed wasn't made before we got there. Sheets in the drawer make it yourself.

At 6:30 am the fire alarm went off. It was insanely loud. With everyone up that early there was nothing to do until the water park opened at 10. We had tired crabby kids later in the day!

In the water park every 10 minutes or so the giant bucket dumps - good and fine. However, there is an animatronic eagle in a nest that screams before the bucket drops. It is incredibly annoying. I measured the noise on my phone and it exceeds 100 decibels. Its much louder than the life guards whistles. Once an hour (or never) would be enough with the eagle.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mc011902
Michigan
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We live an hour outside of Mt. Pleasant and I figured since my 5 year old was on break, my husband was on 24 hour call, and I was off work that a quick trip to the water park New Years week would be a nice getaway. I paid $134 for our room for one night. The thing about an overnight trip to a Water Park Hotel is that unless you plan on staying more then one night it can be pricey. Here you can't check in until 4:00 PM and then check out is at 11:00 AM, by the time you get in your room and settled you don't get much time at the Water Park before you need to have dinner and the Park closed at 9:00 PM on the day we were there. Yes, you can use the Waterpark after you check out, but honestly who wants to haul your stuff to your car, in the cold, and wait to use a locker room to get ready for your travel home when you've already paid such a nice sum of money to have a room. If you are staying for more then one day, then it makes more sense. I also got a better rate online when I booked, then calling directly. I paid $20 less. The Waterpark was nice and it's geared toward smaller children/middle school age. The game room was very small and crowded. We ate at the restaurant and I personally thought the food was on the poor side and overpriced, typical resort food. I would definatley, take my time and eat to one of the areas restaurants and there are plenty since it is a college town, GO CHIPS!.
Overall the experience was good, just pricey for an overnight trip, but my son had a great time and that's the outcome I was looking for.

Room Tip: Eat outside the resort, bring snacks/drinks as the rooms have a micro and small refridgerator. Espe...
4 Thank Jessica E
Midland, Michigan
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The week between Christmas and New Year's our room was going to cost us $181. Because of illness, we were unable to keep that reservation but were able to make another for the week following New Year's. The hotel was running a special that week--a room with 4 passes to the waterpark for $69.99. What a difference!!! The room was clean and comfortable. In the public areas, the staff were constantly freshening up all areas. The restaurant's breakfast buffet was delicious. We found the pool to be small and employees in the waterpark had to use the pool area as a means to and from their stations in the waterpark. It was annoying to have the outside doors opening and closing at the shift change. The game room was small and tight with all the kids in there. I was surprised that my grandboys stayed in the park only about 45 minutes the first night and an hour the next day. The level of chlorine, of course, is very high and it can burn your eyes if you stay too long. All and all, it was nice. We'd go back.

2 Thank LuLu1945619
Farwell, Michigan
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My 14 year old son went on a day trip here for new years eave. He has been there before and has had a good time with his church group. This time he and several others with him got sick on the chemicals from the water. He woke up in the middle of the night and is having shortness of breathe, he can't breath deep without coughing. He hasn't had any heath problems prior to this.

Please be aware of these chemicals and how much you put in at any time, too much can be dangerous. I have treated pools with chemical and this can get out of control very quickly without the proper care. My boy said it was very strong clorination smell. We may be having to see a doctor if this persists

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends