“Nice stay ... with a few issues”

Soaring Eagle Waterpark and Hotel
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My family enjoyed our stay at the waterpark and hotel. Rooms and public areas were clean and well maintained. Staff was friendly and accommodating.

Yes, there are bigger and more thrilling waterparks, but the 2 slides were fun for all ages and the whole place struck me as very clean. Lots of lifeguards on patrol at all times to make sure things are running smoothly. This was nice to see. I also enjoyed the air temperature. Many waterparks are so stifling hot and humid that it is almost difficult to breathe. Not so here. It was very comfortable.

There was a great selection of digital TV programming in the room. Many movies to choose from. They don’t list this benefit on their website, so I wasn’t sure what to expect.

There were a few issues, though, that knocked a few stars off our rating. We had trouble with the wristband-coded room keys. They would stop functioning and we’d have to go to the front desk to have them reprogrammed.

Also, the temperature control in the room was not very effective. It was either too hot or too cold, with very little in between.

Speaking of temperature, what is with the hot water system? We were on the top floor near the end of one of the “wings.” Only once during our 2-night stay did we get the water to a temperature where we enjoyed comfortably hot showers. A call down to the front desk elicited this head-scratching response. “We have an eco-friendly water heating system. Since your room is near the end of the hall, you may need to run the water for about 15 minutes for it to get hot.” Huh? Eco-friendly? I didn’t know that flushing 15 minutes of water down the drain was considered ecologically responsible.

Also, while they do have wireless internet, it caps the number of simultaneous users. On most occasions during the day, I would get a message to try again later. This is nonsense. I have never experienced this at hotels 10 times the size and find it unacceptable to not provide a service as advertised. This was a big minus in my mind.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and had a fun time. Not a perfect experience, but a great way to spend a few days out of the snow.

Room Tip: Choose a room closer to the center, as ones farther out on the wings require a long time to get hot...
2  Thank Auston
There are newer reviews for Soaring Eagle Waterpark and Hotel

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Ive been to other waterparks such as Great Wolf Lodge in Traverse City, Avalanche Bay at Boyne Mountain, and Splash Village in Frankenmuth. Soaring Eagle Waterpark is the second largest at 45,000 square feet compared to the largest Avalanche Bay (88,000 sf). If you visit those other waterparks, plan on spending well over $200 for a basic room. Recently I reserved a basic room with two queen beds for $140 by staying Sunday nite thru Monday. Now this hotel is running a weekday special for only $69.99 per night. Try getting that price at the other waterparks and you will probably get laughed at.

Our group of 2 adults and 2 13 yr old teenage boys were impressed with the layout of the hotel. Check in was quick and easy. The adults were given yellow wristbands to touch a cardreader which opened the door to the park. Our kids were given plain yellow wristbands with no magnetic strip to open the door. While making my online reservation I requested a room on the top floor. Our receptionist gave us a room on the 3rd floor without my having to ask.

Im glad I asked for the third floor which was so much quieter than the main floor. Our budget room was pretty good sized. I liked the mini fridge which we used, and the HDTV attached to the wall. The boys brought their xbox 360 game console which we were able to connect to the HDTV using an hdmi cable. After the waterpark closed at 9 pm, we were able to use the hotel wifi and stream netflix movies thru our xbox 360.

Even though waterparks are geared towards young kids, our two teenagers had a lot of fun. During our stay, the boys each went down the two slides 30 times each. One slide you go down on your rear. The other slide you have to carry an inflatable tube all the way to the top of the stairs. I had fun going down the slides and then slowly riding my tube around the lazy river.

Like all waterparks, it was very warm inside and the water temp was also warm. I was impressed by the number of lifeguards in the park. Even blind spots along the lazy river are patrolled by a lifeguard. Every square inch inside the park is being observed by one or more lifeguards. Parents can feel assured their kids will be safe while swimming.

There is a fast food grill inside the swim area. Not surprisingly, the prices are kind of high. $7 for a chicken wrap sandwich, no fries or drink included. We ended up driving 1.5 miles to a local Culvers for dinner. For breakfast I hit drive thru at a McDonalds within walking distance of the hotel. For you coffee lovers there is a Starbucks in the building next door.

Near the swim area entrance I noticed 3 cabanas available for rent. The website sez the cabanas have a ceiling fan, HDTV, and a table with chairs. I never inquired at the front desk about the price and as far as I could tell, no one rented a cabana during our stay.

I did get a chance to look around the hotel and go inside the fitness center. It includes a complete set of dumbbells up to 100 pounds each. For cardio, you can use the recumbent bike, treadmill, or stair stepper. At the back of the hotel is a small pool for adults only. No screaming kids allowed, just a nice quiet area for grownups.

The only minor complaint I can think of is the mechanical eagle inside the swim area. its perched high up on a fake tree and every few minutes it shrieks loudly. The echo inside the waterpark only made it worse. Someone needs to turn down the volume on that thing.

Checkout is at 11 am. Of course everyone waited until the last minute and there was a stampede with everyone leaving at the same time. I simply dropped off the room keys at the front desk. You can leave your keys in your room, but the hotel brochure sez if you bring them to the front desk you are entered into a raffle.

Everyone enjoyed our stay here and we plan on coming back. Soaring Eagle Waterpark offers the best value in lower Michigan in my opinion. The room beds were comfortable, unlike Splash Village beds that are hard as a rock and hurt my back big time. Pay no attention to the naysayers and haters posting negative reviews. For all anyone knows, they work for the other waterparks or are unreasonable idiots.

Room Tip: The third floor is very quiet compared to the main floor
4  Thank beachbum40w
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Had a blast in the waterpark yesturday and today! Loved everything! We stayed in the King Suite,
it was great having 2 bathrooms so we weren't walking through the bedroom to use the bathroom in the room! and the tub was the perfect size to relax! The waterpark was great for everyone! The lifeguards were very nice and did their job (made sure everyone was safe!) The guards on the Flowrider and slides were very interactive with us, and showed us the right way to ride both! Already planning another trip back!!! the only complaint we had was there was still full trash bags of other peoples trash in front of our door when we checked into our room at 4pm...

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I had a horrible experience at soaring eagle waterpark. First our room was so hot and the managment did nothing about it. Had to aruge with staff to get changed to another room. We took our son there for his third birthday and one of the maids reported us for child abuse simply because my son didn't want to leave the waterpark. He threw a huge fit in the hall way and elavator and the maid had the nerve to report it. All because a 3 yr old threw a temper tatrum...who knew?!?!?! Pretty serious for someone that had no idea what was going on. Needless to say I will NEVER return there again and will make sure to spread the word.

• Stayed: December 2012
5  Thank shelliiie
Reviewed December 5, 2012

My daughter's birthday was celebrated at the Waterpark. Her, sister, and friends loved the custom cake that was made and the children had a wonderful time sliding, flow riding, cruising on the lazy river, hot tub, and the big bucket that would splash water on top of their heads every so often. After a lot of swimming the kids enjoyed the arcade and the buffet.

Although, I am a little jealous because I just learned of the new SOAR promotion going on $69.95! However, the price we paid that day was worth it because to see my girls smiling was priceless. Thank you Soaring Eagle Waterpark for making my girl's birthday a success!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Amanda M
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We recently spent the night and our teenage children enjoyed the water park. The facility offers water activities for all ages of kids. The length of time in the line at the Flow Rider was quite frustrating. It was not because there were a ton of people there but because once a person was in the front they often were scared and it took them up to three minutes to actually go. It was also slow since most people had to have a private lesson by the lifeguard once they were in the front of the line. The people working acknowledged this was a problem and said it needed to be fixed. It would be pretty simple to solve this problem. You just wonder where in the world the leadership was? Overall the hotel was clean and the people seemed to be friendly. Even though there were lots of young children the place was not too crazy!

Room Tip: The higher the floor the more quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Toddamy
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I would not recommend bringing teenagers to Soaring Eagle Waterpark. But if you have children that are age 11 and under, this place has plenty to keep the kids happy....and it is much less crowded than the larger parks!! My son is 48 inches tall...he was allowed to go on everything in the waterpark including the 2 big slides and body boarding. There was a really neat rock wall for the kids to climb. If they fell, they landed in a pool....really fun! Hot tub was great and allowed children as well as adults. Food in the restaurant was good and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family