After a long but interesting drive from Springbok South Africa and 76 km of good-quality dirt road from Gruenau, this Roadhouse is only 14 km from the entrance to the 2nd largest (Fish River -) Canyon of the world. Like an oasis in the Gondwana desert reserve, with gemsbok, zebra, ostrich and kudu sighted on the way, it has a beautiful garden with terrace and swimming pool to enjoy a cool beer and a very original and quirky Indiana Jones-like themed restaurant, bar and reception. Easy to see why this Lodge has achieved cult-like status (try Pandora's box in the toilets, read the funny posters !), with antique cars and paraphernalia strewn about between the tables, buffet and souvenir shop. Accommodation is in 24 basic but excellent quality air-conditioned rooms with en-suite walk-in shower, arranged around a court yard, also decorated with farm implements and antique cars. Manager Johan and his friendly staff are knowledgeable and very friendly. Also visit the very interesting and educational Canyon and Gondwana Information centre and admire their conservation efforts. Try the fantastic springbok- and oryx steak on the menu and drive on a reasonable 80 km dirt road to the nearby upmarket Canyon Road Village and Ai-Aiis Spa and Hot Springs Resort, for an interesting day-tour. While the Roadlodge offers free Wi-Fi, this is mainly centred around the reception area and unfortunately the petrol station does only accept cash, which may be a problem, since the nearest ATM is 130 km away (they're working on better electronic credit card facilities it, we were assured).
All in all, a wonderful & surprisingly original place, warmly recommended and one of the highlights during our trip in Southern Namibia.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Due to its elaborate decor Canon Roadhouse has acquired a sort of cult status in Namibia: the good old days of the automobile are celebrated in the theme restaurant and bar. Enjoy a slice of our legendary Amarula cheesecake among coachwork arranged with loving care. The geology, flora, fauna and history of the area are explained on display boards at the Canyon Information Centre. Situated directly on the road to the Fish River Canyon, 14 km from the gate to the viewing points, Canon Roadhouse offers 24 immaculate en-suite rooms with air conditioning, a swimming pool and a petrol station. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Canyon Roadhouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Canon Roadhouse Hotel Fish River Canyon
- Cañon Roadhouse Fish River Canyon
- Canyon Roadhouse Namibia/Fish River Canyon